Local News Councils announce ambitious updated proposals to support a zero carbon transport network

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Take a look at this... the ZEZ around the City Centre and bus filters will be implemented a LOT sooner than planned:

And yet there is talk of bus cuts!

I'm in favour of this if done sensibly.
I see that Stratford Brake is just outside the proposed region, good.
But why a traffic filter in Holloway?

Take a look at this... the ZEZ around the City Centre and bus filters will be implemented a LOT sooner than planned:

And yet there is talk of bus cuts!
Buses are run by private companies. Some services have been subsidised by the council but due to persistent Tory underfunding of local democracy this may not be possible in future.

Buses are run by private companies. Some services have been subsidised by the council but due to persistent Tory underfunding of local democracy this may not be possible in future.

Our City Council (Labour) is going for a Work Place Parking Levy to open up extra funding from the central government (Conservative) to enable all city buses (private companies) to be electric (environmental win).

Surely that is how people should work together for the greater good?

Surely the point is that the workplace levy helps to fund public transport.

I'm in favour of this if done sensibly.
I see that Stratford Brake is just outside the proposed region, good.
But why a traffic filter in Holloway?
I think to reduce its use as a kind of inner ring road type link, push the through traffic out to the actual ring road.

Surely the point is that the workplace levy helps to fund public transport.
No idea. The bus companies are private and will only run services that make them money, unless the council finds some money to subsidise them - this is why our buses are so expensive. Bus deregulation under Thatcher was a disaster - the only decent public transport in England that I'm aware of is in London, where it's under control of a central body.

In Nottingham we have a tram network. It was built about 20 years ago, and was such a success that it was extended seven years ago. It's brilliant! It was funded jointly by national government, the county council, and the city council. I live on the far southern edge of Nottingham (countryside is 100 metres away) and there is a tram stop 50m away from my house. I can't see it, I can't hear it, but I can be in the city centre, or railway station, in ten minutes. It runs until about 1:30am seven days a week. I've never sat in a traffic jam in Nottingham!

If Oxford is serious about driving people out of cars, then this is the sort of investment it should make. Imagine a tram network that had a stop at the Stratfield Brake stadium!

It will hit the city centre as people will not jump on a bus, or sit in hour long queues!

Hope Westgate shops pull out to make the council rethink!

In Nottingham we have a tram network. It was built about 20 years ago, and was such a success that it was extended seven years ago. It's brilliant! It was funded jointly by national government, the county council, and the city council. I live on the far southern edge of Nottingham (countryside is 100 metres away) and there is a tram stop 50m away from my house. I can't see it, I can't hear it, but I can be in the city centre, or railway station, in ten minutes. It runs until about 1:30am seven days a week. I've never sat in a traffic jam in Nottingham!

If Oxford is serious about driving people out of cars, then this is the sort of investment it should make. Imagine a tram network that had a stop at the Stratfield Brake stadium!
That's great, I know a few cities have trams and have used the Manchester ones. Oxford is certainly pretty bad.

QT had a discussion on ( Central) Government green targets .... and building programme .... Andy Burnham correctly pointed out out that ( central) Government cut funding for councils after imposing near impossible to achieve without investment targets.... Burnham went on to point out that albeit Government policy ( Zero Emmisions, Green targets and building quotas etc), was invariably vociferously opposed by local Tory party councillors thus making Government targets impossibly unrealistic to achieve

He went on to say if larger cities had similarly funded as London, ( Transport For London) , public transport ( buses/ trains etc) bus journeys ,for instance, would be capped at £1.55 for some journeys. It would however mean bus companies (and similar) going into public ownership or part public ownership locally if not nationally

Of course, Oxford itself is probably too small in terms of population to benefit from a part 'nationalised ' public transport infrastructure?

LTN are IMO not the answer.... Tim Bearder county councillor who is apparently responsible for imposing them, does seem to be incapable of taking on board the weight of public opinion opposing LTNs, as he seems to be forging ahead with more of them in the near future.... which will lead to unacceptable gridlockng of traffic at peak times as the limited amount of access gets completely choked

No idea. The bus companies are private and will only run services that make them money, unless the council finds some money to subsidise them - this is why our buses are so expensive. Bus deregulation under Thatcher was a disaster - the only decent public transport in England that I'm aware of is in London, where it's under control of a central body.
I am.not sure whether anybody on here knows a lt about this, but I assume that revenue earned by the Councils by charging for workplace parking and people driving into the City will go towards improving public transport including bus subsidies?

QT had a discussion on ( Central) Government green targets .... and building programme .... Andy Burnham correctly pointed out out that ( central) Government cut funding for councils after imposing near impossible to achieve without investment targets.... Burnham went on to point out that albeit Government policy ( Zero Emmisions, Green targets and building quotas etc), was invariably vociferously opposed by local Tory party councillors thus making Government targets impossibly unrealistic to achieve

He went on to say if larger cities had similarly funded as London, ( Transport For London) , public transport ( buses/ trains etc) bus journeys ,for instance, would be capped at £1.55 for some journeys. It would however mean bus companies (and similar) going into public ownership or part public ownership locally if not nationally

Of course, Oxford itself is probably too small in terms of population to benefit from a part 'nationalised ' public transport infrastructure?

LTN are IMO not the answer.... Tim Bearder county councillor who is apparently responsible for imposing them, does seem to be incapable of taking on board the weight of public opinion opposing LTNs, as he seems to be forging ahead with more of them in the near future.... which will lead to unacceptable gridlockng of traffic at peak times as the limited amount of access gets completely choked
Yes I think Oxford suffers from being small, crowded, and ancient in terms of streets.

Don't start on LTNs! People get so worked up about them on social media. Tim Bearder is an elected official, don't vote for him next time!

and unfortunately about to get screwed over as part of the Covid funding deal imposed by the government (a deal made with BoJo lying about Khan bankrupting TFL after he had left it in good health - which is only true if good health is measured in the amount of debt you have created).

Yes I think Oxford suffers from being small, crowded, and ancient in terms of streets.

Don't start on LTNs! People get so worked up about them on social media. Tim Bearder is an elected official, don't vote for him next time!
I think Bearder has finally annoyed enough people with his antics, including preaching against car use whilst using one to commute to his other job as councillor at Eastleigh Council in Hampshire.

Sadly the short-sighted folk in Leicester got rid of the tram network.
The stops are still in place and are listed buildings.
Use the tram in Snotty when I have to go to QMC - its a model of what public transport could be.

think hes a county councillor for Wheatley ( lib dem/ green alliance) , so I cant vote for him (or vote him out) ?

My County Councillor is Mark Lygo (lab) ... who is , among other things, an OUFC supporter .... possibly ST holder too

Back
Top Bottom