Fan's View Could we?

We need to be realistic, we will probably drop some points, as will others!

We could, but it will probably be April when we do - games against Plymouth, Sunderland, MK and Rotherham may well be some of the key moments in determining our final position.

We've got 16 games left I reckon we will win 8 draw 4 and lose 4 that would if my maths is right put us on 81 points so I think we will finish 3rd

The problem is Rotherham & Wigan.

Rotherham are just a bloody efficient side. Big, strong, powerful, well-drilled and they keep churning out results. Plus they've got a big lead on us (on everyone really, now). Maybe they'll have a big blip, but I'm not sure I see it.

Wigan we've seen twice in the past month or so, and unfortunately I do think that they're a little better than us. Again big, strong, efficient, well-drilled - but they also have a couple of players with that little bit of class to turn games as well. And an absurd amount of depth - to be able to bring on the likes of Josh Magennis and Gwion Edwards off the bench is an incredible luxury at this level.
Maybe the congested run-in will do them in, but I think they've probably got enough about them.

So although I do think we're a better side than the past two years, I'm expecting the playoffs again at this stage. And that's going to be a dogfight, as it always is.

The problem is Rotherham & Wigan.

Rotherham are just a bloody efficient side. Big, strong, powerful, well-drilled and they keep churning out results. Plus they've got a big lead on us (on everyone really, now). Maybe they'll have a big blip, but I'm not sure I see it.

Wigan we've seen twice in the past month or so, and unfortunately I do think that they're a little better than us. Again big, strong, efficient, well-drilled - but they also have a couple of players with that little bit of class to turn games as well. And an absurd amount of depth - to be able to bring on the likes of Josh Magennis and Gwion Edwards off the bench is an incredible luxury at this level.
Maybe the congested run-in will do them in, but I think they've probably got enough about them.

So although I do think we're a better side than the past two years, I'm expecting the playoffs again at this stage. And that's going to be a dogfight, as it always is.
Yes Rotherham and Wigan will keep on winning I’m sure. I don’t see why we couldn’t beat any of the other teams likely to be in the playoffs, though I’d rather avoid Wycombe as something annoying would be sure to happen.

Yes Rotherham and Wigan will keep on winning I’m sure. I don’t see why we couldn’t beat any of the other teams likely to be in the playoffs, though I’d rather avoid Wycombe as something annoying would be sure to happen.
Couldn't get a much harder set of fixtures than Wigan have coming up in February. They only have one bottom half team in Crewe, who we also play. We don't play anyone above 10th, while they have four of the top seven.
Can see them losing all three away games.

A - Sheff Wed (7)
H - Charlton (11)
H - Crewe (22)
A - Rotherham (1)
A - Wycombe (6)
H - Sunderland (4)

We in theory have a much easier set of games:
A - Accrington (15)
H - Bolton (10)
A - Charlton (11)
A - Crewe (22)
H - Cambridge (14)

I can see us closing the gap to them, while also ticking off one of their games in hand.

If Wigan do better than said, then at least they will be taking points off our play off rivals.

Couldn't get a much harder set of fixtures than Wigan have coming up in February. They only have one bottom half team in Crewe, who we also play. We don't play anyone above 10th, while they have four of the top seven.

A - Sheff Wed (7)
H - Charlton (11)
H - Crewe (22)
A - Rotherham (1)
A - Wycombe (6)
H - Sunderland (4)

A - Accrington (15)
H - Bolton (10)
A - Charlton (11)
A - Crewe (22)
H - Cambridge (14)

I can see us closing the gap to them, while also ticking off one of their games in hand.

If Wigan do better than said, then at least they will be taking points off our play off rivals.

Complacency is dangerous, let’s not go there.

A - Sheff Wed (7)
H - Charlton (11)
H - Crewe (22)
A - Rotherham (1)
A - Wycombe (6)
H - Sunderland (4)

A - Accrington (15)
H - Bolton (10)
A - Charlton (11)
A - Crewe (22)
H - Cambridge (14)

Also worth point out that, while we as fans automatically mentally chalk up three points to a team for each game it has in hand, in practice that means a huge amount of fixture congestion. Wigan obviously have an absurd amount of depth, but they're playing twice a week for the next month and a half. Their next free midweek is w/c 21 March (as they also have the pizza trophy semi to play). That will put a lot of strain on their squad and mean less time for preparations etc. They probably will make top 2, but I don't think it's anywhere near as cut and dried as the general consensus seems to be.

Just remember Sunderland last season, sat in 3rd place most of the campaign with 3 or 4 games in hand then sunk like a stone as playing 3 games a week at the end of the season to catch up in the end took its toll with Lincoln beating them in the play off semis.
There are still some surprises ahead and it only takes one team to string a run of 4 or 5 wins together and it could be all change.
Don‘t write off the automatic promotion places for the likes of MK Dons, Oxford United of even Sheffield Wednesday just yet, there are a lot of points to play for and there are still plenty of teams in with a shout of success....

Also worth point out that, while we as fans automatically mentally chalk up three points to a team for each game it has in hand, in practice that means a huge amount of fixture congestion. Wigan obviously have an absurd amount of depth, but they're playing twice a week for the next month and a half. Their next free midweek is w/c 21 March (as they also have the pizza trophy semi to play). That will put a lot of strain on their squad and mean less time for preparations etc. They probably will make top 2, but I don't think it's anywhere near as cut and dried as the general consensus seems to be.

Lets hope they make the Pizza Trophy final and get that extra game to add to the congestion.

I'm wary of Bolton.

Friend who supports them is absolutely purring about the way they're playing at the moment.

A lot to do, but they could be the late crashers into the play offs.

They’re playing some amazing football to be fair, I’m more worried about their defence and keeper.

I'm wary of Bolton.

Friend who supports them is absolutely purring about the way they're playing at the moment.

A lot to do, but they could be the late crashers into the play offs.
Really? 14 points behind us. They got a last minute draw at Morecambe on Saturday.

It will take some run for anybody below Plymouth to make the play offs.

Really? 14 points behind us. They got a last minute draw at Morecambe on Saturday.

It will take some run for anybody below Plymouth to make the play offs.

It's often the case that a team makes a late run, but yes, I agree it will take something extraordinary.

Back
Top Bottom