National News Cost of Living Crisis

Wait until football clubs have to start turning the floodlights on after the next price rise on October 1. It’s going to cost a huge amount of money to stage games this winter. The EFL has already been advised to consider moving all Saturday 3pm kickoffs forward to 12:30 or 1 so as to eliminate the need to use them outside of evening fixtures, but as per they aren’t interested.

Bloke on the radio today said he’s been told his chip shop running costs are about to go up fifteen fold in terms of gas and electric. He pointed out that to put such a rise in perspective, that’s like someone paying £1.80 for petrol today being told they need to pay £27 per litre at the end of next month.

Probably worried what Sky will think about every game being an early kick off.

I work in the energy industry on the commercial side of things. One business I am dealing with is currently spending £20k a year on gas, their renewal quote had a projected spend of £200k.

Those costs either get passed onto the consumer (which will add to inflation) or the business will have to reduce costs by any means possible. If you think the energy crisis won't effect you because of your own personal circumstances, you are very much mistaken. Pubs, restaurants, gyms, football clubs, will all suffer.

I think most people expect to see some significant financial hit in the household before the end of the year. Commercially the impact will be felt that much more, but down the line the consumer will inevitably be impacted here too as costs are passed on.

In our household we’ve upped the DD to £300 p/m from £125 p/m to start to build some buffer going into winter. I think our usage at the moment is between about £100 p/m and £120 p/m.

The government need to treat this like another Covid crisis, but without the need to lock everyone in and halt the economy. To do very little is really not an option.

I also come back to the interest rate policy. Can the government actually start to intervene here? I see no merit in continuing to hammer rate rises and putting so much more pressure on people who aren’t just spending money for the hell of it. The rate could be up to 4% but it still changes nothing in terms of the forces at play here.

I see KS has said Labour have been leading the way. Initially calling for the windfall tax, which we now know will not be anywhere near enough. Also calling for the VAT cut, which again is only a small 5% tweak and will benefit those paying higher bills, heating bigger houses. As for removing the pre paid meter premiums (£49 p/a saving), this is just a political ploy. Thinking £.80 p/w adjustment is going to make a difference is just laughable.

Labour need to come out with some real policies that make Conservative stand up and take notice. As for the Conservatives, they need to pull their finger out but alas they are too busy with their own internal power struggles to care.

I also come back to the interest rate policy. Can the government actually start to intervene here? I see no merit in continuing to hammer rate rises and putting so much more pressure on people who aren’t just spending money for the hell of it. The rate could be up to 4% but it still changes nothing in terms of the forces at play here.
You are aware that the BoE has been criticised by this Tory government for not putting up rate by more and faster aren't you?
Labour need to come out with some real policies that make Conservative stand up and take notice.
Will this do?

You are aware that the BoE has been criticised by this Tory government for not putting up rate by more and faster aren't you?

I was not aware of that. Scrap the government intervention then 🤪.

Will this do?

Not really. Gordon Brown is not the opposition leader or policy maker, as much as I may agree with his recent calls.

Where is KS ?? On holiday at the moment 🤣🤣.

Last edited:
I was not aware of that. Scrap the government intervention then 🤪.

Not really. Gordon Brown is not the opposition leader or policy maker, as much as I may agree with his recent calls.

Where is KS ?? On holiday at the moment 🤣🤣.
He's actually back but I'm sure you do not believe he's not allowed to take his family on holiday in August so why say it? He's got his faults but going on his family summer holiday during the school summer holiday isn't one of them.

Everyone knows the Tory's aren't going to adopt anything he says should happen .......unless they change the name of the initiative first ;).

He's actually back but I'm sure you do not believe he's not allowed to take his family on holiday in August so why say it? He's got his faults but going on his family summer holiday during the school summer holiday isn't one of them.

Everyone knows the Tory's aren't going to adopt anything he says should happen .......unless they change the name of the initiative first ;).

Sorry, you missed my irony about almost every Conservative minister being criticised for taking a holiday.

You are absolutely right. Everyone deserves a holiday.

• React
Reactions: QR
Heatwave warnings
It's common sense to stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water, but when temperatures were exceeding 40 degrees more vulnerable people deserved and perhaps needed a warning.

Fuel price cap
Let's see how the 'cap' develops. It terms of fuel bills, ours now exceeds £6k per annum. Not complaining. We have a large property, can afford to pay the bills and undoubtedly waste too much fuel. If the cap does indeed reach £4k many will struggle.

Petrol prices
Vary locally from £1.75 to £1.90+. Can't say I take any notice. Fill up when I need to. I'm probably not typical.

NHS Dentists
We have one, but many people in rural Lincolnshire don't have access. I try not to gloat.

NHS (General)
Down to personal experience. Some moan because they can't talk to a doctor immediately. Others are happy to wait in an orderly queue.

Local chemist
Excellent (in my experience)

Wait until football clubs have to start turning the floodlights on after the next price rise on October 1. It’s going to cost a huge amount of money to stage games this winter. The EFL has already been advised to consider moving all Saturday 3pm kickoffs forward to 12:30 or 1 so as to eliminate the need to use them outside of evening fixtures, but as per they aren’t interested.

Bloke on the radio today said he’s been told his chip shop running costs are about to go up fifteen fold in terms of gas and electric. He pointed out that to put such a rise in perspective, that’s like someone paying £1.80 for petrol today being told they need to pay £27 per litre at the end of next month.

No, no, you can't be right, it is just a media drama........

Well he won’t be trading much longer will he. As indeed will many other businesses, pubs, restaurant’s etc facing similar.

Very few (if any) small business can absorb that multiple of uplift in costs unless they were making super huge profits in the first place.

I mean, what would a chip shop pay in monthly H&L costs ? £500 p/m ? So now he is saying it will become £7,500 p/m !!

Does seem excessive 🤷🏼‍♂️

Well he won’t be trading much longer will he. As indeed will many other businesses, pubs, restaurant’s etc facing similar.

Very few (if any) small business can absorb that multiple of uplift in costs unless they were making super huge profits in the first place.

I mean, what would a chip shop pay in monthly H&L costs ? £500 p/m ? So now he is saying it will become £7,500 p/m !!

Does seem excessive 🤷🏼‍♂️
No cap on commercial energy costs, so it’s a free for all. If the cost of powering a football stadium with floodlights rises tenfold or more then it’s going to be quite the doozy.

No cap on commercial energy costs, so it’s a free for all. If the cost of powering a football stadium with floodlights rises tenfold or more then it’s going to be quite the doozy.

I think clubs will start agreeing earlier kick offs between themselves should that happen.

Moving day of fixtures is one thing but KO times I would assume is different. But I may be wrong.
The clubs can’t move games without it being sanctioned, and BT will have something to say if half the country is clashing with their 12:30 kick offs while SKY’s highlights are no longer first to view as the games become iFollow eligible.

No way they would be allowed to do that without facing penalties.

If enough clubs do it they will. After all Bolton cancelled a fixture and only notified the other club/FL via announcing it on social media with no comeback. I'm not sure that the FL management would want this battle should the clubs want to do it as they'll look even more incompetent.

There will be sackings in FL management if clubs aren't allowed to protect themselves as much as possible from the cost of living crisis and this is an easy and obvious way.