National News Cost of Living Crisis

Never have the "rules" been "shifted" before then?

Call it change or reform it's the same outcome.... politicians eh? [emoji2369]
And today's award for false equivalence goes to.....

Yep...the Tories LOVE people like you..... because you swallow the line, the hook and the sinker every single time.

"False equivalance"................... lets talk sewage as plenty of folk around here are good at it.

Headline - Raw sewage being dumped on beaches".......... "Tories voted for it"............... lovely headlines.

Reality - with evidence, links etc.......... oh....... awkward.

"False equivalance"................... lets talk sewage as plenty of folk around here are good at it.

Headline - Raw sewage being dumped on beaches".......... "Tories voted for it"............... lovely headlines.

My father was a sewage worker for nearly 25 years and my brother works for the Environment Agency. I know a lot about this as a result.

I’ve just had a look at your Twitter thread (thought you hated anything presented via Twitter?) and can tell you that large chunks of it are wholly inaccurate. My favourite part was the claim that there are no supply chain issues due to Brexit in terms of things like chlorine and other chemicals used in treatment. I posted on this forum about a year ago explaining how we have gone from being able to get many of our chemicals inside 24 hours from Europe to having to ship them in from Canada with a wait time of several weeks, sometimes over a month.

Source: my own sibling who deals with it day in, day out. I don’t have a graph but I’m happy to draw one if that would make it more credible?

Your bills in Germany won`t get high because you won`t be allowed to use too much...

Although turning the lights off when buildings are closed or not lighting them for aesthetic reasons could just be called "common sense". 🤷‍♂️

oooh - squirrel!!

You're on fire tonight!🔥🔥🔥

In case it has escaped your attention, sewage is released into watercourses BECAUSE we do not have the adequate capacity in the wastewater infrastructure to cope with it. It used to be the case that the system could cope most of the time and only under storm conditions from CSO's (combined sewer overflows) would wastewater be released. Because of systematic under-investment over decades releases through CSO's have been dramatically increased.

Privatisation and consequently protecting investors and shareholder dividends has taken priority over providing a vital infrastructure element which has left us with a system no longer fit for purpose. And who, might you ask was so keen on privatisation of this vital National Infrastucture?....oh yes, the Tories....again

Systematically f*****g us over in the name of profit and dividends, once again. But hey,as long as the old pension fund is looking good, who gives a flying one, right?

You really ought to do a little bit of research to see what the Tories voted for in terms of amending the Environment Bill. So the £150-£650 billion estimate (real finger in the air stuff) to get rid of CSO's is down to decades of underinvestment in the infrastructure, so it now appears "too difficult/costly to do" . . .and those nasty water companies will only pass the costs on to the consumer.....REAL slopey shoulder stuff from our Government - about the only thing they are any good at.

So they are consequently happy that a system designed to be used only in emergency conditions continues to be used more regularly to the detriment of our watercourses and wider natural environment. And don't get me onto the role of the regulator in all of this, although this article from your favorite newspaper at least goes some of the way to explaining why they are unable to regulate effectively: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nvironment-agency-cuts-sewage-water-pollution

The party of government created the privatisation of our major infrastructure, they stood by whilst they made obscene amounts of money (which of course they hugely benefitted from as individuals), actively defunded the regulator and have now voted to maintain the status quo on utterly unacceptable levels of environmental damage, because they alternative is too difficult/costly to implement. Yet another example of their willful ineptitude as a government.

Best not think about the impact climate change is going to have, where rainfall events of greater intensity will become more frequent, meaning more inundation of the already inadequate sewerage network, more overflows...as well as rivers of s**t bubbling up in our streets and in peoples homes/workplaces. The massive investment needed to correct that will utterly dwarf any fag packet estimates the government are currently using to justify their inaction.

• React
Reactions: QR
My father was a sewage worker for nearly 25 years and my brother works for the Environment Agency. I know a lot about this as a result.

I’ve just had a look at your Twitter thread (thought you hated anything presented via Twitter?) and can tell you that large chunks of it are wholly inaccurate. My favourite part was the claim that there are no supply chain issues due to Brexit in terms of things like chlorine and other chemicals used in treatment. I posted on this forum about a year ago explaining how we have gone from being able to get many of our chemicals inside 24 hours from Europe to having to ship them in from Canada with a wait time of several weeks, sometimes over a month.

Source: my own sibling who deals with it day in, day out. I don’t have a graph but I’m happy to draw one if that would make it more credible?

I do because the posters often have an agenda - who would have thunk it.

Anyway - if its yellow let it mellow if its brown flush it down.........

oooh - squirrel!!

You're on fire tonight!🔥🔥🔥

In case it has escaped your attention, sewage is released into watercourses BECAUSE we do not have the adequate capacity in the wastewater infrastructure to cope with it. It used to be the case that the system could cope most of the time and only under storm conditions from CSO's (combined sewer overflows) would wastewater be released. Because of systematic under-investment over decades releases through CSO's have been dramatically increased.

Privatisation and consequently protecting investors and shareholder dividends has taken priority over providing a vital infrastructure element which has left us with a system no longer fit for purpose. And who, might you ask was so keen on privatisation of National Infrastucture I hear you ask?....oh yes, the Tories....again

Systematically f*****g us over in the name of profit and dividends, once again. But hey,as long as the old pension fund is looking good, who gives a flying one, right?

You really ought to do a little bit of research to see what the Tories voted for in terms of amending the Environment Bill. So the £150-£650 billion estimate (real finger in the air stuff) to get rid of CSO's is down to decades of underinvestment in the infrastructure, so it now appears "too difficult/costly to do" . . .and those nasty water companies will only pass the costs on to the consumer.....REAL slopey shoulder stuff from our Government - about the only thing they are any good at.

So they are consequently happy that a system designed to be used only in emergency conditions continues to be used more regularly to the detriment of our watercourses and wider natural environment. And don't get me onto the role of the regulator in all of this, although this article from your favorite newspaper at least goes some of the way to explaining why they are unable to regulate effectively: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nvironment-agency-cuts-sewage-water-pollution

The party of government created the privatisation of our major infrastructure, they stood by whilst they made obscene amounts of money (which of course they hugely benefitted from as individuals), actively defunded the regulator and have now voted to maintain the status quo on utterly unacceptable levels of environmental damage, because they alternative is too difficult/costly to implement. Yet another example of their willful ineptitude as a government.

Best not think about the impact climate change is going to have, where rainfall events of greater intensity will become more frequent, meaning more inundation of the already inadequate sewerage network, more overflows...as well as rivers of s**t bubbling up in our streets and in peoples homes/workplaces. The massive investment needed to correct that will utterly dwarf any fag packet estimates the government are currently using to justify their inaction.

I`m sure Labour reversed all the privatisation yes? :unsure:

I do because the posters often have an agenda - who would have thunk it.

Anyway - if its yellow let it mellow if its brown flush it down.........
Good thing the person you’ve cited doesn’t have one of those!

I’m not sure that flushing the toilet if you make a poo poo and not bothering for a wee wee is really going to help much or is particularly relevant to many of the issues at hand, but I’ll let my brother know regardless. If he gets a promotion I’ll make sure he credits you.

I`m sure Labour reversed all the privatisation yes? :unsure:
f**k me...are you still blaming Labour for stuff? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I don't remember this being a problem 12 years ago....do you?

But I do know that the current lot have stood by and allowed chronic underinvestment in critical infrastructure whilst simulatneusly defunding the only regulator capable of holding them to account.

Goodness me, you really are on thin ice if all you can come back with is "yeah, but no, but ....Labour":ROFLMAO:

Very poor!

rivers of s**t bubbling up in our streets and in peoples homes/workplaces. The massive investment needed to correct that will utterly dwarf any fag packet estimates the government are currently using to justify their inaction.
Out here in the sticks, rivers of  shit in people's gardens is a common occurrence with any period of heavy rain - we've even been on South Today! Thames Water acknowledge the problem and say major works are needed to rectify the problem but they have already drawn up their infrastructure plans for 2021-2025 and can only consider scheduling the work when they draft the 2026-2030 plans.

The madness continues when TW point out the inadequacy of their infrastructure in planning applications, yet developments are still approved (700 houses in the last 5 years, 200 so far this year) and TW are obliged to allow them to connect to their sewer.

@RyanioBirdio please tell your brother that the job he is doing is very much appreciated and that many.of us understand the extremely difficult circumstances he is trying to do that job in.

I know there is a funding problem and even worse than that, recruitment and retention are major issues for the EA, as they are with many Public Sector bodies, which is particularly acute in the South East. The public sector cannot compete on pay and consequently miss out on new recruits. Either that, or staff don't stay because they can no longer afford to and consultancy jobs are being advertised at £000's higher salaries.

Even when they do find new recruits, it takes up to 18 months of training, buddying and gaining experience before they are ready to do many vital roles unsupervised, which in turn takes experienced staff away from frontline roles whilst they bring them up to speed...

And then when said new recruits have gained that experience a significant number up and leave for better paid roles in the private sector...and so the whole process begins again.

For the EA, not only is funding worse than it was 12 years ago, but so is resillience, morale, experience etc etc. 12 years of pay freeze or below inflation offers mean that the overall package is worth around 20% less than a decade ago in real terms.

When you see other public sector/public service workers voting to take industrial action over 5, 6 & 7% pay offers, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the EA employees and other Public Sector workers who are in a union reject the 2% (which must be found from within existing budgets, not new government money) they have been offered.

Last edited:
Squirrel................ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Positive thinking is better than wishing...
Industry body representing the UK offshore energy sector in "blowing your own trumpet, whilst calling for greater government support/"light-touch" regulation" shocker.

And this will affect global wholesale energy prices how, exactly? (Hint: it won't make a jot of difference)

I can see why the UK offshore energy companies want to push this "good news" story..... 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 , nothing to do with bringing prices down for consumers I'm afraid.

Lest we forget, this is the very same industry body who were pedalling the line less than two weeks ago that windfall taxes on energy companies would do "untold damage to National energy security".....mmmmokay then!

Hardly credible!

Industry body representing the UK offshore energy sector in "blowing your own trumpet, whilst calling for greater government support/"light-touch" regulation" shocker.

And this will affect global wholesale energy prices how, exactly? (Hint: it won't make a jot of difference)

I can see why the UK offshore energy companies want to push this "good news" story..... 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 , nothing to do with bringing prices down for consumers I'm afraid.

Lest we forget, this is the very same industry body who were pedalling the line less than two weeks ago that windfall taxes on energy companies would do "untold damage to National energy security".....mmmmokay then!

Hardly credible!

If, as you accept, we are at the mercy of global markets then the solution is simple. Produce your own, use less or pay more. 🤷‍♂️

Just reading about 'payment shock', the experience a lot of people will have when their fixed term payments expire and they face increased costs. I fancied depressing myself this morning so had a look for how it applies to me.

My fixed rate mortgage deal is ending fairly soon and so I just had a look at the best rate I could hope for, based on current interest rates.

Best case means I'll be paying an extra £112 a month when/if I fix again. Of course, that's based on current interest rates and they'll likely go up again at least once by the time I can remortgage, so I'm sure by the time I get to it, I'll get shafted even harder and that sweet sweet £112 increase a month will have seemed a bargain in comparison.

It's a complete mess and it's hard to see how people will manage. I've already slashed the Daim bar budget as much as I can.

I see Shell Energy have been fined for overcharging customers.
I was with them until last year, until switching to Octopus whose customer service is far better.
I expect they won’t be refunding customers who left them

Just reading about 'payment shock', the experience a lot of people will have when their fixed term payments expire and they face increased costs. I fancied depressing myself this morning so had a look for how it applies to me.

My fixed rate mortgage deal is ending fairly soon and so I just had a look at the best rate I could hope for, based on current interest rates.

Best case means I'll be paying an extra £112 a month when/if I fix again. Of course, that's based on current interest rates and they'll likely go up again at least once by the time I can remortgage, so I'm sure by the time I get to it, I'll get shafted even harder and that sweet sweet £112 increase a month will have seemed a bargain in comparison.

It's a complete mess and it's hard to see how people will manage. I've already slashed the Daim bar budget as much as I can.
Have you looked into what your penalty for early termination of your existing deal is? It may be less than another rise in the rates would mean you pay over the course of the next deal.