National News Cost of Living Crisis

Is that the younger generation who benefitted from an education at state schools, child allowance, NHS cover, etc. etc?

Who paid for that???

Not sure where you are coming from.

I am just saying that the model is broken in a rapidly rising ageing population. It has nothing to do “we paid for you so now you pay for us“, if that is what you are intimating.

Not to mention that the U.K. has been propping up the rest of Europe with the lowest pensions available.
And the inheritance tax that is paid when we pass. The government do very nicely out of that too.

So where do you think the money is coming from to fund state pension at the moment, if it is not from the younger generation?
That's if any of the younger generation reach pension age, providing they don't freeze to death?

Excellent. My dear old mum could do with a boost.
so at the same time doctors and nurses are being refused decent pay offers because they would be "inflationary", those they spend their time keeping alive can get such increases...

Not sure where you are coming from.

I am just saying that the model is broken in a rapidly rising ageing population. It has nothing to do “we paid for you so now you pay for us“, if that is what you are intimating.
No, that is not what I am intimating. I'm saying that, like the rest of the population, we all have or are still, paying into the state system. To say that the state pension is being "funded by the younger generation" is totally disingenuous. It's funded by everyone including those who are in receipt of that pension.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Although the triple lock 10% increase will be welcomed by all trying to survive on the state pension alone, remember it’s only there because many of those receiving it vote Tory.

You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously?
Stat’s from yougov 2019 general election. Those who voted aged 70 + 67% vote Tory 14% vote Labour.
thoes age 60 69 who voted 57% Tory 22% labour. Or is it the bit about me believing that’s why the triple lock is still in place you don’t believe?

I don't think I've ever had such twaddle in my life

Really?
Live in a private house?
Drive a car?
Been on holiday abroad?

Pretty much all things the 1940/1950 generation only dreamed about..... the consumerist pyramid is also a generational thing.

Stat’s from yougov 2019 general election. Those who voted aged 70 + 67% vote Tory 14% vote Labour.
thoes age 60 69 who voted 57% Tory 22% labour. Or is it the bit about me believing that’s why the triple lock is still in place you don’t believe?
Ah, damn stats eh? That proves it then. :rolleyes: Not that I recall telling anyone how I voted and, never would.

Really?
Live in a private house?
Drive a car?
Been on holiday abroad?

Pretty much all things the 1940/1950 generation only dreamed about..... the consumerist pyramid is also a generational thing.
Yes sir.
Sorry sir
We can only apologise for being born 50 years after you.
We won't expect to live a decent life again sir.

I agree with your point about whoever wins will need to get hold of the crisis. I'd have far more belief that Sunak would do a better job than Truss and Trussonomics.

I think the issue about freezing the cap as suggested by Starmer is that it is actually cheaper to do this for everybody than the cost of means testing for something that has to be introduced relatively quickly.
I understand what you are saying @Marked Ox but in 6 months? Then what? So we do it again or do we let it lie with the energy bills hopefully being cheaper with the time of year, or worse what’s stopping the energy companies giving a bigger increase than may have already been planned but with a freeze the energy companies trying to claw back what was frozen.

I think the only way this might change would be the renationalising the energy companies and the government run them.