Club Song

Not spotted the fella who normally leads the song this season (that I’ve noticed at least) so the song might have gone forever too!

giphy.gif
Why??? It's not his song

Why??? It's not his song
The older gent who used to sing it gave his blessing to the younger chap who sings it now, they both have slightly different versions too. He still goes regularly so song will still happen plenty enough!

The older gent who used to sing it gave his blessing to the younger chap who sings it now, they both have slightly different versions too. He still goes regularly so song will still happen plenty enough!
It's stood the test of time,love it or loathe it. So it can't be all that bad, it's a shame the chorus has never really been sung properly or long enough.

Who's the older gent?????

Ah, I had no idea it was an older song resurrected. Was it originally a mid-80s song given the Jim Smith part?

Certainly was - if you never heard the LRT in full voice singing it you missed something special.

Only started going up the Manor in 1995 (aside from a few freebie games through my football club between 1992 and then).

So either it had stopped by then or I was just completely oblivious from my spot on the Beech Road Terrace!

Only started going up the Manor in 1995 (aside from a few freebie games through my football club between 1992 and then).

So either it had stopped by then or I was just completely oblivious from my spot on the Beech Road Terrace!

I would say it built up as we went up through the divisions early 80`s and "died" out when Jim went to QPR.

Now it`s a timeless, historical classic and top contender for "Club Anthem".

I think we're probably of a similar age and to be fair I don't recall it at all from The Manor in the 90s (Left Side, LR).

My first recollection is actually around the return of Jim Smith circa 2006, for obvious reasons. Because of the reference to Jim I'd always assumed it was a 80s throwback that was indeed resurrected with his return and you're absolutely right that it wasn't in wide use in the late 90s (or even early 00s).

That said, I seem to recall knowing the words at that point as though I had heard it before. Either way, I can't help but feel that if Jim hadn't returned then the song wouldn't have been in use subsequently.

Back
Top Bottom