Transfer News Ched Evans

A big factor in his potential signing is Ched Evans the same person that he was a few years back? Is he still a cocky sod, does he still have a big chip on his shoulder, etc?

If the boy hasn't changed and still doesn't understand what he did was wrong, then he needs to jog on.

May be old news, but a good read on the case is here.

I agree with Gary Baldi's point also...people change.

As a father of a 10 year old who loves coming to matches I cannot hand on heart feel comfortable having to explain and defend my club/player to her when the inevitable chanting occurs.

His behaviour was appalling whatever way you put it and I struggle to justify supporting his wages when I go to a match if that makes me a bad fan so be it.

Grow a pair and tell him about the real world out there. He will be a better person for it in the end.

As a father of a 10 year old who loves coming to matches I cannot hand on heart feel comfortable having to explain and defend my club/player to her when the inevitable chanting occurs.

His behaviour was appalling whatever way you put it and I struggle to justify supporting his wages when I go to a match if that makes me a bad fan so be it.

A 10 year old does not have to know the nitty gritty. You’re just making a big thing of it when you’re 10 year old can easily be fobbed off. Any parent who gets involved with a 10 year old discussing a rape case wants to seriously look at themselves.

Let a child be a child and enjoy the freedom and free spiriting that they deserve rather than be bogged down by the intricacies of something that is not for their ears.

I'm not entirely convinced. Both McCormick and Chapman were idiots and were rightly convicted - the consequences of their actions were horrendous. Both showed enormous remorse afterwards, neither tacitly approved a social media campaign to discredit the victims. There was a lot of comment about McCormick at the time on here (or it's predecessor). Whyte running about showing his tackle didn't actually hurt any one else, and is IMO in a completely different (lower!) league. A bit embarrassing, but both legally and morally not the same at all.
Evans's conduct both at the time of the incident (whether convicted or not) and afterwards has been unrepentant, grubby and vindictive. It doesn't show him in a good light at all (again IMO of course) and I'd prefer we looked elsewhere.

Should he be repentant?

He openly admitted to having sex with the girl - if he’d denied that, he wouldn’t have been convicted in the first place, as she couldn’t remember anything. So being honest technically got him locked up.

He claimed that she was a willing, enthusiastic participant. If that’s true, why should he be repentant - apart from the fact that he cheated on his girlfriend, to whom I assume he has been repentant and apologised to, given that she stuck by him during the trial and subsequent prison sentence.

I personally think what he did was pretty grim, but I also dislike this view that people need to publicly self-flagellate and beg on their knees for us, the important ‘general public’ forgiveness before we can magnanimously allow them back into society

A lot of self righteous prats on here.

Strong contribution to the conversation. Ironically that sort of contribution somewhat highlights you as a bit of a prat over others.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to put it forward in a grown up way. Contributions like this are fairly pathetic but do demonstrate the sort of attitudes which is helping cause such a divided society.

You don't know any bodies circumstances or why they are commenting? What if someone had a family member or friend who was sexually assaulted but the accused got off? Or even happened to them. It happens more than you would think because of the nature of the crime and how hard it is to convict.

I wouldn't call them self righteous. I would understand where they are coming from.

Now I'm lucky enough that nothing so horrific has happened to me or anyone know (that I am aware off) but it is worth an adult discussion around the subject.

I have my view and I respect the opinion of others and the way they are putting forward sensible arguments about about society and acceptance.

Can I suggest you grow up and contribute in a sensible adult way or go away. There is nothing self righteous about having a view on what was a very serious incident and bringing the story of that incident to a football club we all love.

Should he be repentant?

He openly admitted to having sex with the girl - if he’d denied that, he wouldn’t have been convicted in the first place, as she couldn’t remember anything. So being honest technically got him locked up.

He claimed that she was a willing, enthusiastic participant. If that’s true, why should he be repentant - apart from the fact that he cheated on his girlfriend, to whom I assume he has been repentant and apologised to, given that she stuck by him during the trial and subsequent prison sentence.

I personally think what he did was pretty grim, but I also dislike this view that people need to publicly self-flagellate and beg on their knees for us, the important ‘general public’ forgiveness before we can magnanimously allow them back into society

And have a look at what the “victim” was doing the following Saturday and Sunday with two more strangers (the witnesses at the second trial). I think her behaviour in the weeks following the alleged incident was abhorrent. She wasn’t upset enough to stop her having multiple more “drunk 1 night stands”.
Sign the lad up and let’s get promotion.

Ultimately no one really knows what happened in that hotel room, including in all likelihood, the two people directly involved.

Legally, one group of people determined that the act was rape, another group determined that it wasn't (beyond all reasonable doubt). Neither is necessarily right or wrong, but have interrupted the information available as best they can.

Morally though, people will have different views depending on the standards they set themselves. These can vary dramatically from one to another, but again, none are necessarily right or wrong but are personal to the individual and their circumstances/beliefs.

Arguing about who is right or wrong is pointless and achieves nothing.

And have a look at what the “victim” was doing the following Saturday and Sunday with two more strangers (the witnesses at the second trial). I think her behaviour in the weeks following the alleged incident was abhorrent. She wasn’t upset enough to stop her having multiple more “drunk 1 night stands”.

A sadly backward view of what is or isn't rape, or how someone should react to it.

She never claimed to be a victim though. She merely said she couldn't remember, not that she'd been raped - the police/CPS took it upon themselves to pursue the case (wrongly, as it turned out)

Bit harsh to blame her for just not being able to remember - and why shouldn't she have more drunk one night stands?

I prefer: a grounded and honest appraisal of the facts.
Those facts contributed towards a verdict of not guilty.

If someone is robbed of a watch one weekend whilst drunk, and the following weekend goes out drinking whilst wearing a watch, would that mean that the robbery didn't happen or that they deserved to be robbed?

Of course not.

She never claimed to be a victim though. She merely said she couldn't remember, not that she'd been raped - the police/CPS took it upon themselves to pursue the case (wrongly, as it turned out)

Bit harsh to blame her for just not being able to remember - and why shouldn't she have more drunk one night stands?
As long as when she has other one night stands she's not so drunk that she can't remember if she has given specific consent... Then no problem.

Stop being so judgemental all you perfect people. None of you moaned with Chapman or McCormack. Just sign him ... we haven't had a regular scorer since Beano , and we need one

Back
Top Bottom