Transfer News Ched Evans

I totally respect your view, but in general (and as a collection of fans) we didn't have major issues with Luke McCormick and especially Adam Chapman. They were convicted of serious offences and Chapman rejoined us after his prison sentence was over. We seemed to accept them. If standards of behaviour is something we feel strongly about, then we should have called for Gavin Whyte to be sacked (perhaps you did) for the incident in Belfast, but that obviously wouldn't happen. It's a bit late to be worrying about Evans now.
Didn’t have major issues with McCormack, really?!!!!

I totally respect your view, but in general (and as a collection of fans) we didn't have major issues with Luke McCormick and especially Adam Chapman. They were convicted of serious offences and Chapman rejoined us after his prison sentence was over. We seemed to accept them. If standards of behaviour is something we feel strongly about, then we should have called for Gavin Whyte to be sacked (perhaps you did) for the incident in Belfast, but that obviously wouldn't happen. It's a bit late to be worrying about Evans now.
I'm not entirely convinced. Both McCormick and Chapman were idiots and were rightly convicted - the consequences of their actions were horrendous. Both showed enormous remorse afterwards, neither tacitly approved a social media campaign to discredit the victims. There was a lot of comment about McCormick at the time on here (or it's predecessor). Whyte running about showing his tackle didn't actually hurt any one else, and is IMO in a completely different (lower!) league. A bit embarrassing, but both legally and morally not the same at all.
Evans's conduct both at the time of the incident (whether convicted or not) and afterwards has been unrepentant, grubby and vindictive. It doesn't show him in a good light at all (again IMO of course) and I'd prefer we looked elsewhere.

I will be amazed if he signs now !!

What on earth is Robinson thinking telling the world he has been asking for fans views ?

Evans will see that and think no thanks I’m trying to have a career and move on, I suspect we have already missed out and so to save face as we miss another target Robinson will me able to say after taking on board all views we decided it wasn’t right for the club

Regardless of the outcome of the court case his behavior was deplorable. There are a number of issues around the retrial and the way in which Mr Evans and his team chose to defend himself and attack the victim.

He is not guilty. Fine. I accept but there is no way any right minded person can say his actions were acceptable.

But, to steal a quote form a book I read recently, 'the standard you walk past is the standard you accept'.

And I for one do not accept the standard Evans displayed in the incident in the first place and the way in which he set about to be proven innocent.

I also agree that people deserve to be forgiven for their acts, however you need to show some remorse and you have learnt from it - Evans has not demonstrated this.

Some people are just rotten.

I'm not entirely convinced. Both McCormick and Chapman were idiots and were rightly convicted - the consequences of their actions were horrendous. Both showed enormous remorse afterwards, neither tacitly approved a social media campaign to discredit the victims. There was a lot of comment about McCormick at the time on here (or it's predecessor). Whyte running about showing his tackle didn't actually hurt any one else, and is IMO in a completely different (lower!) league. A bit embarrassing, but both legally and morally not the same at all.
Evans's conduct both at the time of the incident (whether convicted or not) and afterwards has been unrepentant, grubby and vindictive. It doesn't show him in a good light at all (again IMO of course) and I'd prefer we looked elsewhere.
Not entirely certain what this debate is all about. Evans is innocent, according to the law. So, are we saying that we shouldn't sign him because he may/may not be a nice bloke? And if that's the argument, should we only sign players who are, a) considered good enough by whoever is manager at the time and, b) who pass some kind of fan 'morality' threshold...

I will be amazed if he signs now !!

What on earth is Robinson thinking telling the world he has been asking for fans views ?

Evans will see that and think no thanks I’m trying to have a career and move on, I suspect we have already missed out and so to save face as we miss another target Robinson will me able to say after taking on board all views we decided it wasn’t right for the club
I hope you’re right.

Honestly the guy was found to be Innocent. If he was found guilty and just been released looking for a new club and we took him on then I wouldn’t be to happy. Why should he be punished for something he isn’t guilty off? He already served 2 years wrongly according to the courts and he’s still getting hate. I think the only thing he’s guilty off is being a poor boyfriend and personally imo he could be the difference between mid table and play offs so I would welcome him with open arms

Honestly the guy was found to be Innocent. If he was found guilty and just been released looking for a new club and we took him on then I wouldn’t be to happy. Why should he be punished for something he isn’t guilty off? He already served 2 years wrongly according to the courts and he’s still getting hate. I think the only thing he’s guilty off is being a poor boyfriend and personally imo he could be the difference between mid table and play offs so I would welcome him with open arms
Yes, that's all well and good but what opportunity does that sort of attitude provide for the sanctimonious to tell us just how perfect they are and how worthy their morality is?

We hold sports stars and celebrities to a much higher morale code than most whilst at the same time voting some truly reprehensible people to run our country, lead us, or even how we view our own behaviour etc. Privledged lifestyles have to be earned and so forth. Shades of grey for me...
I'll judge him purely on a footballing basis, if he performs, then for me he's fulfilling his role as a footballer. How I feel about him as a human is a different thing, that I'll disassociate with the game.

Ffs Get him in on a 3 year deal, all things considered, his conviction has been overturned, as long as he helps fire OUFC to promotion that is the bottom line, he knows where the goal and we have been lacking that since Beano and Matt Green days!! - Get On with it and less talking OUFC, we need action

Regardless of the outcome of the court case his behavior was deplorable. There are a number of issues around the retrial and the way in which Mr Evans and his team chose to defend himself and attack the victim.

He is not guilty. Fine. I accept but there is no way any right minded person can say his actions were acceptable.

But, to steal a quote form a book I read recently, 'the standard you walk past is the standard you accept'.

And I for one do not accept the standard Evans displayed in the incident in the first place and the way in which he set about to be proven innocent.

I also agree that people deserve to be forgiven for their acts, however you need to show some remorse and you have learnt from it - Evans has not demonstrated this.

Some people are just rotten.
I agree with all of this, to be honest. His actions to begin with were pathetic and repugnant, and the way he conducted himself after release left much to be desired. He went on pre-season with Chesterfield when they took him back on and it was in the papers that some of the players including him had been thrown out of a bar for being disorderly, and that he and several others were chatting up a group of women in the process. That showed the arrogance and stupidity of the man, guilty or not guilty of a crime. He appears to have learned nothing from what happened, and it takes a special kind of stupid given what went down for that to be the case.

I have to say, though, that while I think he comes across as a total idiot who indulged in some questionable activities to say the least, he is FAR from alone in football. EVERY club in the EFL, let alone EPL, has multiple players who either have or continue to act the way he did. Genuinely, every last club has got more than one exactly like him. It's simply that it isn't in the public eye and people won't know about 99% of what goes on. But don't think for a second we don't already cheer for at least one player on a regular basis who behaves just as he did.

" Evans admitted that he lied to get the key for the hotel room and did not speak to the woman before, during or after sex. He left via a fire exit. It also emerged that Evans’s younger brother and another man were trying to film what was happening from outside the room. "

Not behavior I accept or would want my club associated with regardless of whether or not has been found guilty. My moral compass ranks higher than my desire for a goalscorer.

To be honest he was found not guilty. So he was being accused of a crime he didn’t commit. Perhaps he has a right to be a little pissed off.
I don’t know the case details few do in reality. But we all like to judge. In my opinion I Wonder why she go back to the hotel room in the first place? Who knows? But he is a free man and innocent so should go about his life in the same way as anyone else.

To be honest he was found not guilty. So he was being accused of a crime he didn’t commit. Perhaps he has a right to be a little pissed off.
I don’t know the case details few do in reality. But we all like to judge. In my opinion I Wonder why she go back to the hotel room in the first place? Who knows? But he is a free man and innocent so should go about his life in the same way as anyone else.
I did say whether found guilty or not. I simply don't think signing him is worth the baggage he brings (and much of it IS deserved for his actions around this affair) and if the proposed deal is for six months then that's also a bad idea IMO. Nile Ranger has 'served his time' but I wouldn't want him here either. I wouldn't want Fatty Evans or Drinks Break Westley as a manager. I know some don't give a toss, but personally I do care about the image and 'feel' of the club - success (whatever that means) at any cost is something I can do without.

Just to clarify as it isn't clear in your post that Evans is no longer convicted so doesn't need rehabilitation under the legal system. So in Evans case that point is redundant.

Yeah is a fair point in regards to the conviction, but disagree that he wouldn't require rehabilitation back into normal life without prejudice. Whether you like it or not, people still attach a stigma to anyone who has been in prison, even with an overturned conviction. This is especially so in such a high profile case where there's been so much debate.

Strictly speaking he was found 'not guilty'. This is not the same as being found innocent- there is a subtle, but important distinction.

The guilty v not guilty v innocent one could go one forever.

For me it's simple:

You accept his behavior and the facts about the night by accepting him.
v
You don't think accept them and want them associated with our club.

The facts about the night that are widely available to the public are enough to say I don't want a man like that associated with the football club I support.

I feel comfortable looking all the female fans, my friend and family in the eye and saying I do not want Ched Evans and what his behaviour on that night represents at Oxford United.

Back
Top Bottom