Home Match Day Thread Charlie Methven at Kasstad

The best fit would be a coach/manager that can work with young players, as that's what they will be doing at Charlton. They have a very good academy and getting the best out of that production line would be their most sensible way forward. Someone like Michael Appleton would be ideal............
They have a very well regarded academy (16th in the country I read somewhere?), plus some pretty good L1 Players ( especially if they can keep Camara fit)
I agree that MAPP would be a very good appointment, but sacking a manager so early in the season does seem like a panic move , and as we know, it could take MAPP a bit of time to sort out the team

Interesting that the previous owners of Sunderland have both over the weekend sacked their managers at their new clubs.

If I had money to buy a club, that wasn’t Oxford, it would be Charlton.

I feel a bit bad for Methane Charlie really. It all goes tits up for him, wherever he goes. AND he’s managed to alienate himself from the club he purports to support. I doubt any of that was in the script he imagined, as he lay there on his parents bathroom floor, cock in hand, with his red trousers round his ankles…
A bit of a weird post.....why would you wear red trousers?....and even more bizarrely - just take them off. Far more comfortable.

Charlton are in danger of becoming a Sunderland-esque basket case, which is just fine with me!
Given the last couple of years we’ve just endured at the mercy of a completely absent-minded narcissist more interested in having his ego stroked or his balls tickled, I wouldn’t wish their next season or two on anyone. We know the feeling they have.

I understand that for Methven to crash and burn, sadly, so does a football club. But I feel for them because they’re staring at several more years of struggle until he is either ousted or guesses right on a manager who can manage up really effectively and push him aside. But that club has suffered a fair bit and now they have him making all the decisions for their future - pretty harsh to celebrate their demise.

It’s a good club, nice fans in my experience and all fans deserve better than the EFL rolling out the red carpet anybody with a blank cheque to write. I don’t enjoy seeing clubs go down at the feet of idiots.

Hopefully he’s thought this through and gets an Appleton-type in. They could do worse than Lee Bowyer coming back as well who knows that club inside out and got them out once before. Would bring some calm to what looks like chaos.

Given the last couple of years we’ve just endured at the mercy of a completely absent-minded narcissist more interested in having his ego stroked or his balls tickled, I wouldn’t wish their next season or two on anyone. We know the feeling they have.

I understand that for Methven to crash and burn, sadly, so does a football club. But I feel for them because they’re staring at several more years of struggle until he is either ousted or guesses right on a manager who can manage up really effectively and push him aside. But that club has suffered a fair bit and now they have him making all the decisions for their future - pretty harsh to celebrate their demise.

It’s a good club, nice fans in my experience and all fans deserve better than the EFL rolling out the red carpet anybody with a blank cheque to write. I don’t enjoy seeing clubs go down at the feet of idiots.

Hopefully he’s thought this through and gets an Appleton-type in. They could do worse than Lee Bowyer coming back as well who knows that club inside out and got them out once before. Would bring some calm to what looks like chaos.

We celebrated their demise on Saturday when we took 3 points of them.

We would celebrate their demise if we were both in for Marriott or Longman, and we got them over Charlton.

And I'll celebrate their demise if they have a board who spend more of their budget on paying off managers and crocked players than they do in building a team that could potentially stop us achieving what we want.

No one was shedding tears for us last season, and I'll shed no tears for Charlton or anyone else this season, no matter how lovely their fans are.

We would celebrate their demise if we were both in for Marriott or Longman, and we got them over Charlton.

And I'll celebrate their demise if they have a board who spend more of their budget on paying off managers and crocked players than they do in building a team that could potentially stop us achieving what we want.

No one was shedding tears for us last season, and I'll shed no tears for Charlton or anyone else this season, no matter how lovely their fans are.
How very noble and dignified of somebody on a suppprters panel!

I celebrated us winning, not them losing. Just as I’d celebrate us signing one of those players, not them missing out. Mind you, I hope they do get Marriott over us as I don’t think I’ll be celebrating that one straight away… might do when he plays a few games and I understand why we’ve chased him all summer.

My club matters first, obviously, but when I see another in disarray, a big part of me sympathises because good people who work hard to support them will be made miserable. When you look at how we completely fell apart as a football club over 18 months, it was a painful experience that none of our supporters, staff or players deserved. One or two details different, we’d be in league two because of one individual. That could be Charlton next. I won’t celebrate that, they deserve better. All clubs do.

I'll leave you to win whichever battle you think you are winning.
Not battling you at all. Just surprised at your viewpoint that’s all. Seems like your dislike for Methven goes further than it needs to - the bloke is a pillock we agree on that but I still hope he makes good decisions for the future of that club because it’s not just him that loses if he doesn’t.

Not battling you at all. Just surprised at your viewpoint that’s all. Seems like your dislike for Methven goes further than it needs to - the bloke is a pillock we agree on that but I still hope he makes good decisions for the future of that club because it’s not just him that loses if he doesn’t.
The best decision that plank could do would be to sell his shares before he becomes a victim of abuse from the Addick fans.

Hopefully fans of other clubs don't reciprocate this attitude the next time our fans come calling for support for our new stadium.

They have a very well regarded academy (16th in the country I read somewhere?), plus some pretty good L1 Players ( especially if they can keep Camara fit)
I agree that MAPP would be a very good appointment, but sacking a manager so early in the season does seem like a panic move , and as we know, it could take MAPP a bit of time to sort out the team
I can absolutely guarantee you that Charlton fans would be seriously underwhelmed by the appointment of Michael Appleton. We know what a great job he did here and for the first year at Lincoln but the rest of his varied managerial career leaves much to be desired.

Someone else mentioned the importance of keeping Camara fit, I would think getting him fit is the first consideration - he’s played barely any football for the last 13 months.

Back
Top Bottom