Home Match Day Thread Charlie Methven at Kasstad

Hopefully fans of other clubs don't reciprocate this attitude the next time our fans come calling for support for our new stadium.

I'm talking about on the pitch success, not about whether or not a club survives. Two very different issues, two very different responses.

When Charlie and Stuart Donald were at Sunderland, it felt (and looked, if you watched the Netflix documentary) like the club was being run by enthusiastic but inexperienced amateurs. Like a couple of guys who'd played a lot of Football Manager wanted to try their hand at the real thing.

And Charlton to start the season have much the same feel. On the face of it, some signings that sound exciting to forum-dwelling afficionados of League One football - Camara, Edun, May, Jones all looked decent on the face of it. But they're clearly not coming together to form much of a team. Unlike what Manning has done which is not just sign good players, but players who mesh well and fit perfectly into a specific system.

(as an aside, how ridiculously big was Charlton's squad last season? They seem to have shipped 19 out and brought only 8 in over the summer - but their squad is still bigger than ours! They've got a ton of mid-20s seasoned League One pros that just seem to be sitting around)

(further aside......I actually kind of miss Charlie being a part of this forum. Yes, he was stubborn and condescending in the extreme - I remember more than once being accused of 'weak thinking' - but he was always good for a decent football argument.......)

The Charlie-hate from some of the posters on this forum is really quite sad.

I was surprised to see him celebrating the Charlton goal on Saturday and think he should probably now relinquish any claim to still being a supporter of OUFC, but I don't really care any more or less how Charlton fare just because Charlie is part owner of the club.

Side note, wasn't Charlie one of the first to suggest the club should look at land at or around Water Eaton to build a new stadium? IIRC this was dismissed and we were told by many on here that the best option for the club was to buy the Kassam.

Laugh at him all you like (hard not to with some of the Brent-esque moments In Sunderland till I die), question the authenticity of his support for OUFC, but frothing at the mouth in anticipation of failure in his attempts at running a decent club like Charlton is a bit too far, imo.

I can absolutely guarantee you that Charlton fans would be seriously underwhelmed by the appointment of Michael Appleton. We know what a great job he did here and for the first year at Lincoln but the rest of his varied managerial career leaves much to be desired.

Someone else mentioned the importance of keeping Camara fit, I would think getting him fit is the first consideration - he’s played barely any football for the last 13 months.
Let them have ROBBO back then 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom