National News C4 privatisation

Sarge

God like member
Mad Nad 'interfering' with something that isnt broken?

facts are :-
Channel 4 is owned by the state but takes not a penny from UK taxpayers, as it is funded by it's advertising revenue.
It's award winning content is free-to-air (including the magnificently diverse All4 streaming service) and has never been and never needs to be "in competition" with Netflix and Amazon.

yet if as the underqualified culture sec bulldozed through her plan the public service programmes produced by C4 will be gone for ever, as shareholders will demand (huge) returns on their investments

Pointless and unnecessary. It's functioning fine with ad revenue. It doesn't need another 'owner' if the state is unencumbered with it.

I heard on R4 this morning that ITV were possibly considering a bid. If there's one thing we don't need, it's another ITV channel. Channel 4 operates in spheres where others don't and it would become seriously dumbed down if ITV took it on.

Tories wanting to control what Channel 4 news says, perhaps? They've gone after the BBC and now they're going after Channel 4 ...

Good old Nadine. The woman who didn’t even realise that C4 doesn’t receive taxpayer funding until it was pointed out to her in front of a committee, after she’d waffled on about how that isn’t how any media outlet should be funded moving forward. So we know the BBC is done for, but regardless, it’s a damning indictment of the current climate that people like her have any significant say, especially when they don’t even understand how things work before they make the decision to sell them.

C4 news will change its tone towards the government once it’s sold and that’s all this is about. You would have to be as stupid or as drunk as Nadine to not see why it’s happening.

This wasn't in the Tory's 2019 manifesto so where's the oh so important public mandate? 🤔
yet their commitment to LGBTQ issues was .... and they've fudged that so much their appointed Guru for LGBTQ issues has resigned And the governments planned conference on LGBTQ matters has had to be cancelled - due to their own mishandling of it all!

I think this Government would be much happier if they could just force GB News through our Telescreens every morning, followed by some physical jerks!

Go Democracy!! Whoop Whoop 😕

As it receives nowt from us taxpayers and is merely "owned" by the state then how is it sold in the common term of the word?

I`ll assume HMG says "We will give you this in exchange for X x ££££££`s" to go into the UK PLC "Pot"?

In this brave new world of more infotainment than you can shake a stick at it, will end up being a very, very little fish in a very, very big pond of huge fish.

So that leads me to surmise one of the big fish will buy it and eat it.

I`m very ambivalent about it, rarely watch "live" telly barring the Beeb over breakfast.

Will anyone miss it, will it still exist? 🤷‍♀️

As it receives nowt from us taxpayers and is merely "owned" by the state then how is it sold in the common term of the word?

I`ll assume HMG says "We will give you this in exchange for X x ££££££`s" to go into the UK PLC "Pot"?

In this brave new world of more infotainment than you can shake a stick at it, will end up being a very, very little fish in a very, very big pond of huge fish.

I`m very ambivalent about it, rarely watch "live" telly barring the Beeb over breakfast.

I'll miss Grand Designs but the rest of the channel (and its news anchors) can get right in the bin.

Yes the regional TV producers will miss it as C4 are required to use independent producers so this has had a massive impact in "levelling up" TV production across the UK. I thought this Govt was all about "levelling up".

Public broadcasting provision has enabled a successful TV production industry worth £bns in this country by providing a solid base/facilities with which they have then expanded into private provision. And the C4 provision costs the taxpayer nothing. This will be at risk.

Then there is the independent investigative journalism and current affairs coverage. There is the increase of people with disabilities on screen through C4 etc. Also, uncomfortable dramas etc that probably wouldn't see the light of day on other platforms.

This is nothing but ideology as there isn't any other reason as there are no benefits other than in Nadine Dorries head. Some Tories are even suggesting it is revenge by this Govt for their news coverage and investigations. A potentially dangerous route if true.

Didn’t some other Tory MP tweet in support of her and then delete it when it was pointed out he was totally factually incorrect?
Yes, the usual cut and paste stuff handed out by Tory high command. I doubt they read it before pasting and posting.

Its a crude attempt to silence a critical voice. Dorries cares that little about the facts of the matter she didn't even bother to appraise herself about it before appearing at a commons select committee. She claimed there that C4 was in receipt of taxpayers money, Tory Damien Green rightly pointed out that wasn't the case, and her eloquent response to learning that was "And..So..Though its..Yeah and..That.."

Yes the regional TV producers will miss it as C4 are required to use independent producers so this has had a massive impact in "levelling up" TV production across the UK. I thought this Govt was all about "levelling up".

Public broadcasting provision has enabled a successful TV production industry worth £bns in this country by providing a solid base/facilities with which they have then expanded into private provision. And the C4 provision costs the taxpayer nothing. This will be at risk.

Then there is the independent investigative journalism and current affairs coverage. There is the increase of people with disabilities on screen through C4 etc. Also, uncomfortable dramas etc that probably wouldn't see the light of day on other platforms.

This is nothing but ideology as there isn't any other reason as there are no benefits other than in Nadine Dorries head. Some Tories are even suggesting it is revenge by this Govt for their news coverage and investigations. A potentially dangerous route if true.

I'd bet on that. Mad Nad is thick enough to play that sort of hand in public and stupid enough to reveal it publicly too.

If you wanted a reason to get rid of Boris (lest we forget that Essex thinks there is no one better suited to the role of PM ...), the hiring of Dorries to that role is a pretty good one.

Reading this thread, and others about "political decisions" make me glad I decided to leave Blighty when I did.

Maybe if C4 offer Mad Nad a show dedicated to her consuming a variety of animal genitalia, she will back off[emoji848]

Altogether now...."she is the meanest, she chomps down horses penis, Nadine Dorries is a horse's a**e"

Maybe if C4 offer Mad Nad a show dedicated to her consuming a variety of animal genitalia, she will back off[emoji848]

Altogether now...."she is the meanest, she chomps down horses penis, Nadine Dorries is a horse's a**e"

Sexist. :ROFLMAO:

Best show that Channel 4 ever produced was TT, although I`m biased on that. :) :)

Hardly sexist. If Boris had consumed animal rectum or genitalia, I'd say the same about him.

We already know that Boris Johnson is a horse's a**e though[emoji6]

And whilst he may not have consumed sphincter(at least to our knowledge), he has certainly licked plenty...much of it unfortunately belonging to Russian oligarchy....before that became a big no-no due to recent events of mass murder and genocide....

Not my words but absolutely bang on the money (especially the "successfully outperformed in terms of culture by tub of Yakult" bit😂):

"I see you, Nadine Dorries.

It didn’t take long for you to reappear on here, did it? Therein lies the rub for the publicity-desperate charlatans like you, who think volume is an adequate substitute for competence; you don’t half drag yourselves into the limelight, desperate as you are for the attention. You’re in a league of your own with Fabricant and Kwarteng, a triumvirate of unbridled uselessness, throwing yourselves onto every grenade Boris Johnson fumbles into his own trenches. Like a wilfully ignorant hydra the three of you have been growing ever more butthurt and brazen with every criticism, wearing your pathetic victimhood like a badge of honour every time it’s even remotely suggested that you might not be very good at your jobs. And we’re the snowflakes? Please.

It’s barely been a week since you put forward your economically illiterate plan to sell off Channel 4, and you’re already running to the Daily Mail to histrionically label your detractors as ‘leftie luvvies.’ A label that apparently includes such notable commies as… erm… Ruth Davidson, Jeremy Hunt, Damien Green and Tom Tugendhat. Oh, and 82% of the British public, according to one Tapestry poll. Nobody apart from you and Boris Johnson, a man with an ego so pathetically fragile that he considers journalists doing their jobs properly to be a personal affront, thinks this is a good idea.

Which is precisely why you’re doing it, isn’t it? To a pathological narcissist, nothing justifies their vapid, spiteful, short-sighted decision making more than a false sense of oppression. Everyone’s being really mean and you’re the real victim here, Nadine Dorries. Which is why it’s absolutely essential that you force this sale through and single-handedly destroy everything Channel 4 offers as a national asset to the taxpayer. Only you can see what truly has to happen to make Channel 4 a viable prospect in the new, emerging, digital marketplace! Only you truly understand how it works and how to fix it, even though it doesn’t require fixing and just a few short months ago, you didn’t even know how it was funded! Only you really understand the maths, where a one-off dividend of a billion pounds is somehow a greater sum than a rolling investment that ploughs precisely that amount of money into the sector every twenty months or so!

It’s just absolute nonsense to suggest that catering to shareholder interests will somehow free Channel 4 up to put more money into the creative industries than it already does. It’s also equally moronic to suggest it needs to change to cater to the new, digital landscape, when it was already pioneering in that regard and remains commercially profitable despite the growing pressures of the marketplace. Suggesting it has to compete with Netflix completely disregards its public service remit, and even without that rather salient point, Netflix is currently saddled with more debt than 2023’s average British Gas customer. Why is that a business model a profitable, perfectly viable commercial endeavour like Channel 4 would even *want* to emulate?

Even your valuation of the channel seems way off, particularly when it completely ignores what has to happen if the taxpayer is to see any value for money from this sale. If - and it’s a big if - you genuinely do care about its public service remit, the only way it could ever be preserved is by ring-fencing its news funding and the percentage of its commissioning budget that currently gets invested in smaller, independent projects and production studios. It’ll never sell for a billion quid with those conditions in place, which is precisely why you’ll never impose them on the sale. Instead, you’ll simply pawn it off on the first buddy of the government willing to stump up a headline-worthy sum for it, before immediately spaffing that cash up the wall on another disastrous idea like a Festival of Brexit.

Which is the other farcical joke here, isn’t it? The suggestion that Nadine Dorries, a woman who could be successfully outperformed in terms of culture by a tub of Yakult, somehow understands how to successfully invest in our creative industries better than Channel 4 in the first place. You haven’t got the first clue what it means to provide a meaningful public service to your audience. All you ever do is gurn theatrically to the right wing, a clownishly overwrought performance with absolutely no substance behind it. The reality is that for all of the smaller, independent studios across the country who have sought investment from Channel 4 in the past, you’re a sort of Freddy Dunning-Krueger, gleefully slashing away without even the slightest understanding of the damage you’re inflicting.

The suggestion that this sale will do anything other than crater investment in the very skills you’re pretending to support across the country is an insult to everyone working in them. The financial argument you’ve put forward is gossamer-thin, pathetically transparent when held up to the light. When you realise that, it becomes immediately apparent that this sale is a purely ideological one - yet another attempt to simply pawn off a dissenting voice in the hope it simply shuts up and goes away.
Here’s an alternative suggestion, hopefully delivered by the deepfake Queen that your flag-shagging sensibilities found so grotesquely offensive. Why don’t you do us all an actual public service for once, and instead of sticking your fingers in your obstinate ears and crowing about ‘loony lefties’ like a petulant baby, actually listen to the industry experts who understand the disastrous consequences of this decision far better than you clearly do?

I won’t hold my breath, Nadine Dorries. You’re like a contestant on Naked Attraction, sending home the first willy you find objectionable without even considering the possibility it might be a grower. The only difference is that it’ll be the whole country’s loss, and you’ve got absolutely nothing to offer that could fill the unsatisfied hole in our creative industries that you'll leave us with.

I see you, Nadine Dorries. I f*****g see you."

Anything that starts "I see you"........................... bin it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Still nice bit of liberal frothing to start the week...... "deepfake Queen"...... "flag-shagging" ............... its got the lot.

Top up that cup of salty tears. :)

Back
Top Bottom