Local News Botley Road closure

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
So Botley Road was due to re-open at the end of Oct until March, then close for 7 months. However, Botley Road will not re-open until OCT 2024!

So another 13 months of West Oxon being cut off from the City.

So Botley Road was due to re-open at the end of Oct until March, then close for 7 months. However, Botley Road will not re-open until OCT 2024!

thats fuckingoutrageous

Ooops sorry the brilliant occ will make an amazing decision on how best to run Botley road once their incredible road improvement scheme has been completed….. is that better?

P. S can I edit this tomorrow?

What else to expect from Oxford city council?
It’ll probably reopen as a bus gate only.
As it is a Network Rail project there is very little the council can do.
As NR itself say "Network Rail, as a Statutory Undertaker is exempt under the Buildings Act 1984 from having to seek building regulations approval for certain works, limited to the operational estate and including most works at stations."

As it is a Network Rail project there is very little the council can do.
As NR itself say "Network Rail, as a Statutory Undertaker is exempt under the Buildings Act 1984 from having to seek building regulations approval for certain works, limited to the operational estate and including most works at stations."
Please don’t get in the way of me having a go at the council. They get so much wrong ( apart from today of course) that I just assumed…….

Oxford City Council isn't the same thing as Oxfordshire County Council, is it? I thought they were still separate (if not entirely independent) entities?

In my head it was perfectly reasonable to go after the one OCC for screwing up the roads.
But the other OCC are clearly a group of brilliant and dedicated individuals who make smart and educated decisions about land usage.......

The City has a ring road you know.... :)

The City has a ring road you know.... :)
Unfortunately the roadworks on the A420/A34 that have been postponed from the summer to avoid the planned closure period still have to go ahead this winter, as are the planned works on the Southern by-pass, and the ongoing roadworks at Pear Tree. The ring road is a car park for chunks of the day.

Unfortunately the roadworks on the A420/A34 that have been postponed from the summer to avoid the planned closure period still have to go ahead this winter, as are the planned works on the Southern by-pass, and the ongoing roadworks at Pear Tree. The ring road is a car park for chunks of the day.
as is St Clements/ The Plain , along with approaches in or out of the city depending of the time of day

What else to expect from Oxford city council?
It’ll probably reopen as a bus gate only.
Pretty sure it's a County Council issue.
Oxford City Council merely maintain the roads within the city on behalf of the County Council, unless it's changed since I worked there. Having said that, what are they supposed to do if the works won't be finished, in which case it's Network Rail we should be after. Interestingly, the city boundary doesn't go out as far as Botley. I actually think we should extend the city boundary northwards to incorporate the second largest village in England (to quote KPC, despite it not being true!), which would keep our new stadium within the city limits.
I love the County Council regardless after yesterday!

When I still lived in Oxford (many moons ago) my residence was on Broad Close, just off the Eynsham Road. Enjoyed living there.
Reading this thread I really feel for the folk living in Botley and area. A terribly journey time to use the ring road to have to get into Oxford. Much easier to go shopping in Witney or ( God forbid) Scumdon.

Pretty sure it's a County Council issue.
Oxford City Council merely maintain the roads within the city on behalf of the County Council, unless it's changed since I worked there. Having said that, what are they supposed to do if the works won't be finished, in which case it's Network Rail we should be after. Interestingly, the city boundary doesn't go out as far as Botley. I actually think we should extend the city boundary northwards to incorporate the second largest village in England (to quote KPC, despite it not being true!), which would keep our new stadium within the city limits.
I love the County Council regardless after yesterday!
annex em

When I still lived in Oxford (many moons ago) my residence was on Broad Close, just off the Eynsham Road. Enjoyed living there.
Reading this thread I really feel for the folk living in Botley and area. A terribly journey time to use the ring road to have to get into Oxford. Much easier to go shopping in Witney or ( God forbid) Scumdon.
Parents live just around the corner from Broad Close. Safe to say they aren’t exactly thrilled about this, especially on top of the ongoing Westway development which is now having a nine storey building added to an already overbuilt (and under inhabited) mess.

The reality is that they are making life miserable everywhere, be it network rail, the city or county council. We now live in Hanborough, and my wife works in the city. It took her 2 hours on Wednesday to P&R out of the city….

There is no planning or joined up thinking they’re all just happy to have roadworks on every route into the city.

The reality is that they are making life miserable everywhere, be it network rail, the city or county council. We now live in Hanborough, and my wife works in the city. It took her 2 hours on Wednesday to P&R out of the city….

There is no planning or joined up thinking they’re all just happy to have roadworks on every route into the city.
I suppose at least you can vote councillors out. British* Rail appear answerable to no one.

Edit: ah yes 'Network'. Thanks @Marked Ox
Watch the Ben Elton prog on British Rail etc on Channel 4 app.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom