General Best Player never to play for England?

Yellow There!

Something a bit different, will be Interesting to see opinions. What do we think?

(English players only please πŸ˜‚)

Last edited:
Not many decent players don’t get at least a few minutes nowadays, plus most that don’t find a great grandparent from another country taking them out of the equation.

Going all the way back to the nineties I would say Steve Bruce, had a couple of great seasons with Man U winning loads and never got a cap.

In the 70s and 80s there were always good long serving goalies who never got a look in because of the dominance of Shilton and Clemence

Gary Briggs

- in the 3 seasons OUFC were in the old first division ( now PL) , if memory serves ( and it may not), wasnt Brigg's was in at least 2 of the 3, first division players chosen/ voted ( or whatever way it was done)First division team of the season ?

of his time- his way of playing wouldn't last more than 10 mins in today's PL, or Internationally- but, IMO , he should've been called up for England during the mid 80s

Trevor Hebberd. I genuinely believe if he was playing for a bigger club than 'little Oxford' he would have at least made England squads.
wonderful wonderful player but probably a little too mild mannered and "nice" to get noticed at the top end

Not many decent players don’t get at least a few minutes nowadays, plus most that don’t find a great grandparent from another country taking them out of the equation.

Going all the way back to the nineties I would say Steve Bruce, had a couple of great seasons with Man U winning loads and never got a cap.
Agree, Steve Bruce would be my choice

Trevor Hebberd. I genuinely believe if he was playing for a bigger club than 'little Oxford' he would have at least made England squads.
Think we'd have won the '86 World Cup with him in the side over the likes of Steve Hodge.

Back
Top Bottom