League One Andy Pilley - Fleetwood Chairman

A deeply morally questionable rich person's play-thing returning to non-league is probably a win for us and football. A trip to Fleetwood isn't the most pleasant, I think its great when clubs emerge having grown the right way with a solid history in non-league (Sutton United for example) but Fleetwood has always been an extremely strange football club.

I think Pilley owns another club in Ireland although I could be wrong.

I actually enjoy the away trip to Fleetwood. One of the best supporters clubs in the league.

His sister and others have been sent down as well, every chance Fleetwood town FC get dragged down by this, you don’t get 13 years in prison and have to serve a minimum 9 years for a financial crime unless it’s very serious, the judge actually mentioned FTFC being funded by his actions so when it comes to the proceeds of crime thing they have that.

He is a big employer in Fleetwood though so this will be a blow for the town outside of the football club, not exactly a rich area.

Probably the beginning of a sharp decline for Fleetwood.
I can’t say I really feel anything towards them. Would much rather they were replaced in the FL by a team with history.

As ever, it’ll be the fans (and local businesses) who are most affected. They’re a small club but they’re still fans all the same in a very congested part of the world for professional clubs - hope they aren’t wiped out but perhaps time for them to find the level for their size (L2/Conf I imagine).

As ever, it’ll be the fans (and local businesses) who are most affected. They’re a small club but they’re still fans all the same in a very congested part of the world for professional clubs - hope they aren’t wiped out but perhaps time for them to find the level for their size (L2/Conf I imagine).
There aren't very many fans, and they were always suspiciously good and able to pay decent transfer fees despite only having 2 or 3 thousand on the gate. They used to be very thuggish and sneaky and also always beat us - more recently they've become more like any dull team but I'm still not going to shed a tear if they go down a league or two.

Apparently the crowds are inflated by freebies from people who work for his companies up there. It’s basically a suburb of Blackpool, no real fan base before he took over.

Just like Rushden and Diamonds before them, Fleetwood and Forest Green will eventually return to non league, they don’t have the catchment area to be anything but a rich man’s plaything and when that ends the decline happens quickly.

Until 2006 that were bouncing around step 8 and 9 of the pyramid, often getting home gates lower than 100.

They were supercharged by Pilley. Interestingly, another questionable businessman has tried the same as Pilley with 'AFC Fylde'

Until 2006 that were bouncing around step 8 and 9 of the pyramid, often getting home gates lower than 100.

They were supercharged by Pilley. Interestingly, another questionable businessman has tried the same as Pilley with 'AFC Fylde'

AFC Fylde are the classic businessman strop because he couldn't get Blackpool.

Another club right by Blackpool, because that seaside town has always needed 3 professional football clubs.

I thought their fans were great - welcoming and friendly in the pub, supportive of their struggling team on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom