Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

I keep going back to the Portsmouth away game - Agyei started centrally, absolutely battered their centre halves and ran them ragged all game. Since then, he’s not had a sniff in a central performance, and it’s almost been forgotten/ignored by Robinson. It’s so strange.

Same goes for Sean Clare actually - against Portsmouth he started wide right and gave a superb performance, full of running, attacking and crossing, and we all said “Ah! There’s the player we signed!” But since then James Henry has started every single league game wide right, and been average and anonymous in most of them. But again, it’s like Robinson has wiped that Sean Clare performance against a strong, in form Portsmouth team away from home from his mind.

I think Atkinson’s block yesterday deserves a comment, Jack Stevens mentioned it in his interview - goal saving. The boy can defend as well as bring the ball forward. He’s out best defender at the moment, if we’d had him and Dickie together I can only imagine how teams would have struggled to both defend and score against us!

I think Atkinson’s block yesterday deserves a comment, Jack Stevens mentioned it in his interview - goal saving. The boy can defend as well as bring the ball forward. He’s out best defender at the moment, if we’d had him and Dickie together I can only imagine how teams would have struggled to both defend and score against us!
100% I personally think he’s been excellent so far ok there has been few faults in his game for the Lincoln + Portsmouth goals but overall he’s been a massive success & we really missed him big time during the period he got injured when Clare Moore Long Ruffels kept playing as a back 4 we kept on conceding 2 per game. I still feel Moore hasn’t really hit them yet in the 18 months he’s played to that Atkinson done to the back line since coming into replace Dickie in the last 6 months but the my opinion.

I keep going back to the Portsmouth away game - Agyei started centrally, absolutely battered their centre halves and ran them ragged all game. Since then, he’s not had a sniff in a central performance, and it’s almost been forgotten/ignored by Robinson. It’s so strange.

Same goes for Sean Clare actually - against Portsmouth he started wide right and gave a superb performance, full of running, attacking and crossing, and we all said “Ah! There’s the player we signed!” But since then James Henry has started every single league game wide right, and been average and anonymous in most of them. But again, it’s like Robinson has wiped that Sean Clare performance against a strong, in form Portsmouth team away from home from his mind.
It's almost as if he won't change things if some fans say its the obvious thing to do... until it really has to be done.

Clare at RB, Eastwood in goal...

He's an absolute puzzle, but it's becoming increasingly clear to me that he's a bit part player and nothing more. Yes, prone to occasional flashes of brilliance but yesterday was again a game that was not set up for him and where he again failed to do much right...is that the fault of the manager? Who knows.

What I think it ultimately boils down to is he does not have a very good footballing brain. I don't know if that's something you can develop or which gets better the more you play, but he is no longer a youngster anymore. You literally have no idea when he's on the pitch whether he'll be unplayable or do nothing right.

He could flourish, but I don't think it will be with us at the end of the day.

He's an absolute puzzle, but it's becoming increasingly clear to me that he's a bit part player and nothing more. Yes, prone to occasional flashes of brilliance but yesterday was again a game that was not set up for him and where he again failed to do much right...is that the fault of the manager? Who knows.

What I think it ultimately boils down to is he does not have a very good footballing brain. I don't know if that's something you can develop or which gets better the more you play, but he is no longer a youngster anymore. You literally have no idea when he's on the pitch whether he'll be unplayable or do nothing right.

You could be right, but he will always have been a better option than Jamie Mackie was for most of last season, and offered more in the way of actual goal threat and involvements. That was ultimately the point for most people, and I hope that if nothing else the booting that Robinson has taken over it, and the way that his stubbornness and unfairness was exposed over it all, will have bruised his ego enough that he plays with a straighter bat going forward.

Politely disagree with this. I don’t think he can be fairly judged.

His position is central striker and he’s simply not been given a run of games there and backed by his manager.

As a striker myself I can tell you it’s an absolute rhythm and confidence game. You need a run of games and you need your ego fed by the manager so that you feel relaxed when you’re shooting.

he’s had neither I’m afraid so none of us can really say what Dan Agyei is about as a lone front man

What I think it ultimately boils down to is he does not have a very good footballing brain. I don't know if that's something you can develop or which gets better the more you play, but he is no longer a youngster anymore.

You may be right throughout, but giving him 5 minutes every week won't give him a chance to grow his footballing brain.

I'm with @Ricky Otto on this.

I've always thought that if Stevens is instructed to kick long, then Agyei should be the man upfront as the target. With the best will in the world, Matty Taylor is not going to win headers and provide hold up play. Best of all would be to play them both up top or, play the ball out from the back on the ground and keep feeding Matty with decent crosses.

You could be right, but he will always have been a better option than Jamie Mackie was for most of last season, and offered more in the way of actual goal threat and involvements. That was ultimately the point for most people, and I hope that if nothing else the booting that Robinson has taken over it, and the way that his stubbornness and unfairness was exposed over it all, will have bruised his ego enough that he plays with a straighter bat going forward.

Going off on a tangent here, but as mad as it was for us to play a one legged Jamie Mackie last season High Wycombe are playing a morbidly obese 38 year old up front in the championship. Some managers seem to fall in love with players even when it becomes obvious to everyone else that they are completely gone.

We're missing/have missed Mackie this season, despite him not being the most gifted footballer. To paraphrase Mourinho 'I feel like you are a bunch of very nice guys, but for 90 minutes you have to be a bunch of C***s.' Since Gorrin's return we at least have one c**t in the squad, but we're still short in that area.

We're missing/have missed Mackie this season, despite him not being the most gifted footballer. To paraphrase Mourinho 'I feel like you are a bunch of very nice guys, but for 90 minutes you have to be a bunch of C***s.' Since Gorrin's return we at least have one c**t in the squad, but we're still short in that area.
with respect we're conceding more silly free kicks without him

if the keep it in the corner is need then Agyei is good at that (not that i like that tactic)

with respect we're conceding more silly free kicks without him

if the keep it in the corner is need then Agyei is good at that (not that i like that tactic)
I didn't mean it in any sort of footballing sense, more in terms of mentality. Unsettling the opposition, demanding more from our own players etc. Agyei, to me, seems like somebody who needs guidance when on the pitch, whereas Mackie would be the guide.

I didn't mean it in any sort of footballing sense, more in terms of mentality. Unsettling the opposition, demanding more from our own players etc. Agyei, to me, seems like somebody who needs guidance when on the pitch, whereas Mackie would be the guide.

Mackie was very good with the younger players (as is Mous) and was the link between the players and the coaches. He gave a lot more than we saw on the pitch, and you sometimes need those kind of players around the squad.

The restrictions on squad numbers and wages will likely mean the end of 'luxury' players but I'm not sure it's any coincidence that the two teams that made the playoffs finals had a Mackie and Akinfenwa in their squads.

Mackie was very good with the younger players (as is Mous) and was the link between the players and the coaches. He gave a lot more than we saw on the pitch, and you sometimes need those kind of players around the squad.

The restrictions on squad numbers and wages will likely mean the end of 'luxury' players but I'm not sure it's any coincidence that the two teams that made the playoffs finals had a Mackie and Akinfenwa in their squads.
wasn't doing Wycombe much good in the latter games until they were presented with their place

Wycombe still massively over performed, even if they lucked their way into the playoffs.
can't deny that but they didn't get there due to antics of Akinfenwa..the sad thing is their fans have been unable to enjoy this season so from a fan only perspective promotion and playing Championship football after all those years below has done nothing for them as fans
if as seems likely they dropped back down and things hopefully return to normal life then they've got little to look ahead to next season

can't deny that but they didn't get there due to antics of Akinfenwa.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the guy and think he's an embarrassment of a player! And I'm sure others thought the same of Mackie. But they were both highly thought of by their managers, their team mates, and both were part of clubs that over performed and made the playoffs finals.

Spot on.
I am really not sure why he can only right though the middle? He has pace and strength. So to play slightly wide? Taylor pulls out right as did Constable Green and Dean Saunders.
Agyei doesn't look composed enough to me to play as a main striker.
I belive that he won't go above L1 in the future. If he leaves I would guess that he will go down the leagues. Lets see. Does anybody think that he will be a good L1 striker?

Back
Top Bottom