Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

I wonder whether the issue is where to play him? Is he really a #9, or is he more suited to be wider, and if the latter he then has more competition (Browne, who replaced him, or Holland) ahead of him. Whether yesterday was meant to be a front two or not, Taylor stayed central and agyei stayed out right.
Most of his telling contributions so far have been running with pace, rather than heading or holding the ball up for others, so not sure he is the direct answer to replacing Taylor/Mackie.
In truth, in a front three of Browne, agyei and Holland, who would you prefer to be in the middle?

It was definitely two up top on Saturday as Sykes & Henry we’re always central.

On the squad, I came across the programme for the 15/02/14 game against Mansfield so for comparison purposes and shows how far we've come in 6 years:

Ryan Clarke
Max Crocombe
Wayne Brown
Jonathan Henly (had to look him up as couldn't remember him, was on loan from Reading)

Tom Newey
Michael Raynes
Jon Meades
Jake Wright
Andy Whing
Johnny Mullins
David Hunt
Sam Long
David Lynn
Matt Bevans
Kenzer Lee

Josh Ruffels
Alfie Potter
Ryan Williams
Scott Davies
Danny Rose
Nicky Wroe
Josh Shama
Dave Kitson
Callum O'Dowda

James Constable (Leading scorer with 12 goals in all competitions)
Deane Smalley
Sean Rigg
Tyrone Marsh
And the big new signing David Connolly (definitely shows how far we've moved forwards as a club).

That forward line or the rest of the squad doesn't strike fear considering they scored 61 in 53 games (in L2 and Cups) whereas this season we are at 73 from 43 games.

Also shows how Sam Long and Josh Ruffels have improved. Sam Long made 3 starts, 2 sub appearances; Josh Ruffels made 26 starts, 9 sub appearances with 1 goal in midfield.

*Stats from Rageonline.

The nostalgia (yes I know it was only 6 years ago).

Agyei definitely was much more wide and ran the channels more than Taylor though, who stayed more central

Yes, on both flanks but definitely a two up top!
Otherwise our wingbacks would have been running into the same channels.

Agyei was very unlucky not to score with his one on one, and that came from a direct, strong run through the middle. But he looked less assured when coming in from wider and pushed two efforts wide.

Still developing but showing that he certainly has a roll to play for your run in.

I think we saw the good and bad of Agyei last night.

Full of running, enthusiasm and was direct but could run down a blind alley or make the wrong choice - Not every time, I hasten to add, but a couple. A positive sub appearance overall.

Agyei was very unlucky not to score with his one on one, and that came from a direct, strong run through the middle. But he looked less assured when coming in from wider and pushed two efforts wide.

Still developing but showing that he certainly has a roll to play for your run in.
One effort from his weaker foot.

Both of his two missed shots (rather than the saved ones) were created from his own good play and powerful running though. On one he should really have passed to Brannigan who was free on the left hand side of the box, but overall I don’t mind a forward having a shot or two at goal, especially when we’re already up so the game isn’t in the balance or anything. He also won a booking, something which seems to happen often when he comes on as opposition players can’t live with his pace.

Not to keep banging this drum or anything and I know the guy has been through a lot and I do feel for him, but I think it’s fair to make a comparison between him and Mackie last night as both came on in the wide attacking positions, and I think it’s very clear that Agyei did a hell of a lot more, and was much more threatening.

His pace is deceptive; he doesn’t seem to be trying to run but he’s very quick. Created more chances in his brief appearance than Mackie has all season. PS what was the logic in bringing on JM? Can’t see it......

His pace is deceptive; he doesn’t seem to be trying to run but he’s very quick. Created more chances in his brief appearance than Mackie has all season. PS what was the logic in bringing on JM? Can’t see it......

When Agyei made the run down the wing when it really didn’t look like he had room (from a north stand view) my daughter did like a cartoon double take as she hadn’t realised he was so quick ?

Not to keep banging this drum or anything and I know the guy has been through a lot and I do feel for him, but I think it’s fair to make a comparison between him and Mackie last night as both came on in the wide attacking positions, and I think it’s very clear that Agyei did a hell of a lot more, and was much more threatening.

I think/hope that the Mackie vs. Agyei debate has been settled in KR's mind now. The start on Saturday and the last few substitute appearances suggest this.
(and it's of course obvious to anyone who's watching that, although raw, Agyei is causing far more problems for the opposition than Mackie has all season)

However, now some of our best players are coming back to fitness, being better than Mackie isn't enough to get you a game any longer.
The six midfield/forward players last night are (correctly, in my view) all ahead of Agyei in the pecking order. And one of them will drop to the bench on Saturday when Gorrin returns. When Woodburn comes back, there'll be even more competition for places.

So I think - barring more significant injuries - the impact sub role is the one Agyei can, and should expect for the rest of the season.

Back
Top Bottom