International News Afghanistan

More than 40 country’s involved in the Afghan mission, each should take refugees as a % of involvement in the mission .
It may not be popular with right wing governments who won elections on the back of their immigration policy but they have to take responsible for their actions even if it makes them unpopular with their supporters.
Provided the refugees are genuine (which I presume most will be) I can't see a massive amount of political friction in this point.

There are more people than the left give credit for who are able to differentiate between "economic migrant" and "refugee".

These are two very distinct concepts.

Complete & utter b0ll0cks.

Nobody, and there are plenty involved across many nations, predicted the speed of turnaround.
The withdrawal, which has been taking place for many months, reached a tipping point.
Mostly because elements of support, such as air support in the countryside, empowered the Taliban.
The ANA then saw that they were having the rug pulled out from under them.
Short of remobilising and/or an aerial "shock & awe" campaign what could the US, NATO or the UK have done?

Think for yourself and stop reading the Mail you are better than that!
the only Mail I read is my emails ... and the football pages in the Oxford Mail .... wouldn't even touch the Daily Heil Mail , if I can help it

its about time the public school educated 'chaps' stopped shirking their responsibilities .... IMO

• React
Reactions: QR
the only Mail I read is my emails ... and the football pages in the Oxford Mail .... wouldn't even touch the Daily Heil Mail , if I can help it

its about time the public school educated 'chaps' stopped shirking their responsibilities .... IMO

There is only so much you can do "remotely"..... unless you want Johnson & Raab on the gate of Kabul Airport with guns?

Then they`ll get slated for "not sorting out XYZ at home". :)

End of the day they, just like you & I, are doing their bit and we get annual leave. :cool:

There is only so much you can do "remotely"..... unless you want Johnson & Raab on the gate of Kabul Airport with guns?

End of the day they, just like you & I, are doing their bit and we get annual leave. :cool:

Come on!

Johnson's an idle bastard and always has been, surely this is beyond dispute?

It does come in handy as I know whatever the Mail publishes, then the opposite is more likely to be the truth.

The Mail clearly targets the gullible and those with low IQ. Its criminal how the MM gets away with it.

So you don’t read it then? Just speculating?

Why would Raab sort XYZ at home? He is Foreign Secretary not the Home Secretary. You keep defending the indefensible, it was a major international crisis which is squarely at the centre of his responsibility but he thinks it is more important to top up his tan.

Edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58265160

And who cares about Afghan interpreters' lives who have worked with our officials/military forces when you don't want your holiday interrupted?! A phone call FFS.

Last edited:
[emoji23] An adult man telling someone to grow up, yet also calling people "c**t" and "prick" on an internet message board.

Couldn't write this stuff.

Surprised ESB and SMer let certain posters get away with it yet punish others..

Double standards?

For which I apologise

Double standards?

Perhaps it's because when someone acknowledges that they have behaved in poor taste/foolishly/offensively their comments are seen with more leniency. Whereas, the sideline snipers, the consistently insulting, and those with a dubious agenda get seen for who they are.

Ignoring Raab/giving him the benefit of the doubt that his EasyJet All Inclusive wasn’t booked on a flexible booking a minute.

The Prime Minister (with hundreds of U.K. officials, a humanitarian crisis and individuals employed by this government to support the British military with the promise of support) on Saturday, literally 24hrs from Kabul falling. Decided to pack his speedos and arm bands and hop in the car for a trip to Somerset.

I don’t care if he was stopping at the A303 services in Thruxton for a zoom call. It’s a kick to all those that have lost lives as a result of this conflict and it screams of someone who couldn’t give a flying fork about anyone but themselves.

😂 An adult man telling someone to grow up, yet also calling people "c**t" and "prick" on an internet message board.

Couldn't write this stuff.
I agree. Such language should be reserved for the likes of Rabb and Johnson.

Them tory boys were elected to do a job .... which IMO theyre not all that at actually doing - both here in the UK & Internationally

Annual leave? Whats that? ...my boss is a slavedriver* .... Ive not had a holiday for over 7 years now (and it was 20 +years prior to that my previous holiday)

*Im self employed ;)

Tbf @Sarge all of Parliament whether public educated or not they’re all spineless, accusing one another for the previous government’s over issues.

Why would Raab sort XYZ at home? He is Foreign Secretary not the Home Secretary. You keep defending the indefensible, it was a major international crisis which is squarely at the centre of his responsibility but he thinks it is more important to top up his tan.

He`s allowed annual leave you know and isn`t incommunicado! Does it matter where he is? Have you not heard of remote working?

Just because events panned out far quicker than everyone appears to have expected means he has to ensure the right people are in the right place which is being done through the FCO and the like.

As it currently stands 2 Para are going door to door in Kabul and picking up people we know about.

The FCO has been advising folk to leave since at least July and latterly to leave immediately.

It will never be "enough" for some.

Them tory boys were elected to do a job .... which IMO theyre not all that at actually doing - both here in the UK & Internationally

Annual leave? Whats that? ...my boss is a slavedriver* .... Ive not had a holiday for over 7 years now (and it was 20 +years prior to that my previous holiday)

*Im self employed ;)

I heard your boss is a slave driver............... its why nobody else will do it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

He`s allowed annual leave you know and isn`t incommunicado! Does it matter where he is? Have you not heard of remote working?

Just because events panned out far quicker than everyone appears to have expected means he has to ensure the right people are in the right place which is being done through the FCO and the like.

As it currently stands 2 Para are going door to door in Kabul and picking up people we know about.

The FCO has been advising folk to leave since at least July and latterly to leave immediately.

It will never be "enough" for some.

You're still defending the indefensible.

Yes it matters where he is as he is supposed to be doing his job and co-ordinating/creating the strategy in a fast moving situation. Making quick decisions in person will be so much quicker than making multiple calls and his data will be up to date as well. He is supposed to be the lead for the country in any major international crisis but was pretty much absent. I doubt co-ordinating from the beach is that efficient.

As for leave, he can go back on holiday afterwards, this situation is a key part of his job, pretty much one of the main parts. Pretty much every Foreign Secretary has returned from leave in such circumstances.

He couldn't be arsed to make a phone call whilst on holiday to try to help save Afghan interpreters' lives who have helped our forces/officials, a phone call FFS which he was told he had to make to have an impact by those who understand such things:

Imo, he should go as he has demonstrated he can't do the job and the evacuation is chaos for all the good work by British forces on the ground. But at least he had a longer holiday.....

You're still defending the indefensible.

Yes it matters where he is as he is supposed to be doing his job and co-ordinating/creating the strategy in a fast moving situation. Making quick decisions in person will be so much quicker than making multiple calls and his data will be up to date as well. He is supposed to be the lead for the country in any major international crisis but was pretty much absent. I doubt co-ordinating from the beach is that efficient.

As for leave, he can go back on holiday afterwards, this situation is a key part of his job, pretty much one of the main parts. Pretty much every Foreign Secretary has returned from leave in such circumstances.

He couldn't be arsed to make a phone call whilst on holiday to try to help save Afghan interpreters' lives who have helped our forces/officials, a phone call FFS which he was told he had to make to have an impact by those who understand such things:

Imo, he should go as he has demonstrated he can't do the job and the evacuation is chaos for all the good work by British forces on the ground. But at least he had a longer holiday.....
But tbf it doesn’t help when the bloody yanks pull out with the attitude f**k everyone else, Britain was only a small force and if we had stayed to try and help quickly because of the way the speed of the withdrawal we would have lost more lives in a pointless conflict.
Maybe when Blair and co had sent out boys in because his Besty ie Bush jr had sent his boys into Afghanistan he should have had an exit strategy in place. Easy to blame the current government.

But tbf it doesn’t help when the bloody yanks pull out with the attitude f**k everyone else, Britain was only a small force and if we had stayed to try and help quickly because of the way the speed of the withdrawal we would have lost more lives in a pointless conflict.
Maybe when Blair and co had sent out boys in because his Besty ie Bush jr had sent his boys into Afghanistan he should have had an exit strategy in place. Easy to blame the current government.

I agree about the US pull out. Doesn't change that Raab demonstrated incompetence in his actions showing he isn't up to the job. Of course being a modern politician, he won't resign.

Double standards?
Not that I need to defend @eaststandboy, @Malc, or myself, but I was watching this thread, and saw the initial post, the posters pick up on it, plus the reaction and acknowledgement of wrongdoing. The forum often self-moderates and personally speaking I'm happy to sit back when it does.

Also worth noting there were no reports to the admin team on this matter. Danny handled it in his way, and should he have put a report in, it would have been dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom