Away Match Day Thread 5/8/23 L1: Cambridge United v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a good point. Most of the very worst and witless stuff I've witnessed at away games in recent years is from beetroot-faced old timers
That's an almost exact description of the loud mouth on the right hand side of the stand on Saturday and I say that as an non-beetroot faced old timer.

Entitled as he is to a view, it was boring, incredibly negative and worst of all in my book, lacking in any humour and self awareness.

That's an almost exact description of the loud mouth on the right hand side of the stand on Saturday and I say that as an non-beetroot faced old timer.

Entitled as he is to a view, it was boring, incredibly negative and worst of all in my book, lacking in any humour and self awareness.
These drongos, male and female, should be allowed nowhere near our club. They are obnoxious and ignorant.

Unfortunately football attracts thick and sometimes aggressive people. Sadly not every fan is as lovely and intellectual as we are
I was there with my wife and 2 year old son on Saturday and were also sat on the right hand side. Unfortunately, the language is part and parcel of going to an away game. It is our responsibility to explain this is not language that is acceptable to use.

specifically on this chaps footballing opinion. everyone has their right to whatever opinion they want. but screaming for people to shoot and then shouting at them for shooting (badly) baffled me somewhat

on the style of play, people are going to need to get used to it. it will be like this for as long as manning is in charge. if we keep the ball and move it at pace it will be fine. that didnt happen on saturday. on the rare occasions it did happen, browne found himself in lots of space and led to the few times he beat the left back with ease in the first half because he was able to isolate him. this only came after a period of "non progressive" passing between the defence from side to side (that people often moan about)

I took my four year old to his first game on Saturday and the only reason it was "f**king madness" was because he was bored shitless second half by the football and the lack of atmosphere. He was actually bouncing around to the chants from the other end we were so quiet. I was far right side and didn't hear anything that perturbed me too much, although there was one guy shouting abuse at our own players, which would have annoyed me had I been sat a bit closer to him.

Having said all that, if I'd happened to take him to toxic Burton last season or MK the year before, or Gillingham when our fans were pissing down the back of the stand (and all over their mate's shoes) then it would have been a problem. I name those three because they are games that you wouldn't consider to be "aggro", I obviously wouldn't take him to Pompey away for example.

No, I don't think so, because they didn't play the way Manning wants them to play. Everything good that happened against QPR was simply not done on Saturday.

Because any well managed team will find us easy to play against? (QPR are not one).

That was the most dour opening day performance that I can remember as an OUFC supporter. I think prior to the game, the expectations were so much higher than in previous seasons.

The performance was lack lustre, which is nothing new to us, but not only that, the weather was f'ing miserable, I was soaked, freezing cold, it felt like a mid-january fixture not an opening day fixture.

We will improve, I trust in the tactics that Manning is trying to implement. The players just did not do what we did in pre-season, move the ball quickly, 1-2 touch and pass.

Last edited:
Because any well managed team will find us easy to play against? (QPR are not one).
But Swansea are and we employed similar tactics against them. Thought we held our own and pressed well
Trouble is against Championship teams who allow you to play a bit more we will look ok, so I expect us to play well against Bristol City, we may not win but will give a good account of ourselves
But against a lot of teams in our league they won’t let you do that, space is at a premium they will break up play and get men behind the ball. If they then go a goal ahead we give ourselves a mountain to climb because they just sit there and hit you on a counter attack.
So therefore tactics have to change if plan A isn’t working . For that you need a different type of player who can hold up the ball and bring others into the game. We haven’t had one of them for years but feel we need one now and of course a Gorrin replacement to win the ball in the first place

Last edited:
The pass map is quite telling. It'll be very easy to play against us if this is the tactic every game:

View attachment 15040

Interesting that Cambridge's most progressive pass seemed to be Jack Stevens straight up to their big striker and it worked most of the time. He had a field day against our back line.
We do need an option like that at times to change things up because plan A isn't going to work all the time. Bonner did a real job on Manning and it's a bit worrying because it all looked very KR esque. It was clear before half time that our game plan wasn't working and Bonner's tactics nullified Mannings. I hope he's learned a bit from it.
Onto the next one.

Back
Top Bottom