Current Player #22 Greg Leigh

Jimmy Phillips. Just a fantastic player who seems to go under the radar with us.
Yep. Very good footballer Jimmy. He played in the Prem as well when he left us.
His son Nat a CB, is on loan at Cardiff from Liverpool at the moment !!
Bobby Mcdonald is my all time best LB . Leigh is very good at this level but I don't think he'd be a regular starter higher up.

I'd play him ahead of Bennett every time but the general consensus is that he doesn't fit Des's system, so he'll be dropped as soon as Bennett is back.

I'd play him ahead of Bennett every time but the general consensus is that he doesn't fit Des's system, so he'll be dropped as soon as Bennett is back.
I think that Bennett is a more orthodox right back ( defensively stronger, but less good at getting forward than Leigh).
I didn't see Saturdays game, but understand that Leigh did very well defensively, and curbed his attacking instincts.
So I would suspect that he will keep his place. I guess that it will depend though on who Des thinks will deal with the huge Peterborough threat better?

I think that Bennett is a more orthodox right back ( defensively stronger, but less good at getting forward than Leigh).
I didn't see Saturdays game, but understand that Leigh did very well defensively, and curbed his attacking instincts.
So I would suspect that he will keep his place. I guess that it will depend though on who Des thinks will deal with the huge Peterborough threat better?
He's been playing well out of position then :)

He's the type of player when all else fails, stick him up front with 10 mins to go, he'd cause mayhem.

Agree with your last comment - I think Leigh has to play for physicality alone. Bennet has plenty of experience but if you’re Posh, you’d look at Mason-Clark vs Long especially, but Poku vs Bennett could also be something to exploit. Playing Leigh would persuade Posh to focus on Sam Long which should make it easier for us to control. We don’t have the pace centrally, nor a true defensive midfielder, to compensate for both fullbacks getting a roasting. Important we have at least one side that can hold its own.

The temptation might be to play Bennett and Leigh and spare Long a tough afternoon but would be a risk to unsettle a working lineup too much.

He is the most left footed right back I have ever seen......

As I said when the team was announced on Saturday - I still feel like our best 11 has Greg Leigh in it somewhere. And I agree against the calibre of winger P’boro have it seems entirely plausible that we need an athlete like him on the pitch.

(There’s an argument to drop Dale to the bench, move Murphy to the right and play Leigh in front of Bennett if JB is fit - harsh as that would be on Dale)

As I said when the team was announced on Saturday - I still feel like our best 11 has Greg Leigh in it somewhere. And I agree against the calibre of winger P’boro have it seems entirely plausible that we need an athlete like him on the pitch.

(There’s an argument to drop Dale to the bench, move Murphy to the right and play Leigh in front of Bennett if JB is fit - harsh as that would be on Dale)
Murphy's been very open that he likes to play on the left, so I would be very disappointed if they moved our most in-form player, to accomadate Leigh. He's also no where near the winger that Dale is. If Leigh is to play, it should on be at the expense of Bennett, which I would be in favour of simply because of his superior pace to that of Bennett's. He didn't play at London Road (Brown played LB), so hopefully, should he play, he will cope with their wingers far in a way the Brown couldn't.

Murphy's been very open that he likes to play on the left, so I would be very disappointed if they moved our most in-form player, to accomadate Leigh. He's also no where near the winger that Dale is. If Leigh is to play, it should on be at the expense of Bennett, which I would be in favour of simply because of his superior pace to that of Bennett's. He didn't play at London Road (Brown played LB), so hopefully, should he play, he will cope with their wingers far in a way the Brown couldn't.

No argument from me (I’d also be against moving Murph for the record) - but I could see an argument defensively for using Leigh and Bennett in tandem

Personally I’d pick Leigh over JB, hope that being dropped after the Bolton debacle (and the praise he rightly got for his more restrained performance at Burton) has sent the right message!

Brown pocketed poku last time everything was the other sides fault 🤨

Brown pocketed poku last time everything was the other sides fault 🤨
Hmm, you say that, but Kioso had an absolute field day and all-in-all we got our a**e handed to us there, it should’ve been more than it was.

But you look at the team that played for us that day and i think only 4 of those you’d expect to see on Saturday for varying reasons.

Great test for Des and a really good gauge of how far he’s brought the team and what he’s learned. I think it’s won or lost in the wide areas where we’re typically vulnerable so will be interesting to see how he addresses that.

Could be a cracking game.

Simply play to our strengths. Murphy Harris and Dale have been outstanding in recent weeks so you build your side around them. If Bennett is fit then he comes back in as he gives Murphy more protection, if not then Leigh has shown that he can play with more discipline when needed.

I wonder if you could play Leigh in a more central midfield postion ,he's strong and Skillful and you could imagine getting on the end of crosses he's good with his and can score ,just throwing a spanner in the works.

Maybe we play him in goal? Seems that playing him is more important than sticking to the system that has seen us develop some form and confidence.

🤣🤣 In my defence I literally said my preference would be to pick him over Bennett in his actual position (since I think our best team has Leigh in it) and stick to the system that has worked since the Bolton debacle. But fully agree that is harsh on JB if he’s fit and there’s an equally strong argument to the contrary and that Bennett should be picked!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom