Home Match Day Thread 03/9/2022: L1 - OUFC v Burton Albion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that the crowd were generally excellent as well.
Sometimes it is very difficult to not get down after reading posts on this forum. It can be so incredibly negative.
But the crowd at the games is normally very supportive and it is such a different more positive outlook.
A really poor game, but thr crowd generally stayed with the team which was so important
You say yourself that it was a really poor performance, but then criticise people on this forum for being negative, for saying the exact same thing!

The fact of the matter is, the last two transfer windows have been a disaster, to the extent this season, that we didn’t even put together a full squad by the end of the window, and are now relying on too many of the kids from the academy.

Add to that the fact that the end to last season was a disaster, and so far this season, we’ve got so many injuries already, and we’re consistently playing badly.

Please excuse those of us who aren’t getting overly excited about scraping past probably the worst team to play here in years.

But you just keep burying your head in the sand, and trying to make out everything is ok, whilst criticising those that actually see it for what it is, a complete f*****g mess.

Last edited:
Have to say - there were lots of thoughts pre-season that League One was going to be stronger this year.

Well, we've now played seven games, and we haven't played a good team yet. Derby were OK, and the other six sides have all been pretty poor. Cambridge are now 5th despite losing to us, and they were nothing more than a well organized but limited bunch.

Obviously there will be tougher games ahead.....but it feels like if we could only get all our players back (or add a couple more free agents), we could still make a run......makes it even more frustrating that we've mucked up the past transfer window, because a playoff spot was probably there for the taking otherwise.

I don’t think it is stronger at all. It’s maybe more competitive but it’s certainly not stronger.

Also got to bear in mind we had a very very easy start on paper so it’s going to get far tougher!! As proven below, I’ve ticked who we’ve faced:

Top 12 clubs
Derby ✅ , Barnsley, Peterborough, MK Dons, Sheffield Wednesday, Wycombe, Plymouth, Oxford, Bolton, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton

Bottom 12 clubs.
Accrington, Cambridge ✅ , Cheltenham ✅, Burton ✅, Lincoln ✅, Shrewsbury, Morecambe ✅, Fleetwood, Forest Green, Exeter, Bristol Rovers ✅, Port Vale

Have to say - there were lots of thoughts pre-season that League One was going to be stronger this year.

Well, we've now played seven games, and we haven't played a good team yet. Derby were OK, and the other six sides have all been pretty poor. Cambridge are now 5th despite losing to us, and they were nothing more than a well organized but limited bunch.

Obviously there will be tougher games ahead.....but it feels like if we could only get all our players back (or add a couple more free agents), we could still make a run......makes it even more frustrating that we've mucked up the past transfer window, because a playoff spot was probably there for the taking otherwise.
It’s only 6 games in…of course we can still make the play offs!

Grinding out results with the amount of injuries we currently have is pretty good going I’d say.

Obviously next week will be the hardest game of the season against the best team and manager in the league but I’m sure we will get something from the game.

This season is all about points rather than playing well as last season we played well but came up short.

I don’t think it is stronger at all. It’s maybe more competitive but it’s certainly not stronger.

Also got to bear in mind we had a very very easy start on paper so it’s going to get far tougher!! As proven below, I’ve ticked who we’ve faced:

Top 12
Derby ✅ , Barnsley, Peterborough, MK Dons, Sheffield Wednesday, Wycombe, Plymouth, Oxford, Bolton, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton

Bottom 12 clubs.
Accrington, Cambridge ✅ , Cheltenham ✅, Burton ✅, Lincoln ✅, Shrewsbury, Morecambe ✅, Fleetwood, Forest Green, Exeter, Bristol Rovers ✅, Port Vale
Is that 5th placed Cambridge in the bottom 12?

You say yourself that it was a really poor performance, but then criticise people on this forum for being negative, for saying the exact same thing!

The fact of the matter is, the last two transfer windows have been a disaster, to the extent this season, that we didn’t even put together a full squad by the end of the window, and are now relying on too many of the kids from the academy.

Add to that the fact that the end to last season was a disaster, and so far this season, we’ve got so many injuries already, and we’re consistently playing badly.

Please excuse those of us who aren’t getting overly excited about scraping past probably the worst team to play here in years.

But you just keep burying your head in the sand, and trying to make out everything is ok, whilst criticising those that actually see it for it is, a complete f*****g mess.
You can acknowledge concerns and mistakes at club level while still supporting the team and enjoying what you have. Otherwise it would be totally dreary

Playoffs still possible, the current group just need to keep us in touch with the pack until the injured players are up and running,
7 points from the next 4 would be ok imo.

Shrewsbury A
Plymouth A
MK H
Fleetwood H

Murphy and Baldock should be part of the squad for the more difficult batch of games coming after that.

Eh?

He was essential in the aerial bombardment from set pieces by Burton today.
Sorry his passing and getting rid of the ball was poor he needs to work on that, being a defender you still have to play with your feet as well as your head.

Great win, despite an erratic performance with few periods of control. Improved a lot when Marcus Browne came on, but huge weakness in right sided defence where Burton score

35 more points, and I will feel more comfortable. Should be achievable, but blimey we’ve not any stand out performances up to now, but as long as we keep churning out wins that’s all that matters.

Cambridge 5th, and have a manager I’d love here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom