Home Match Day Thread 04/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 1st Leg - OUFC vs Peterborough

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This season has been a real roller coaster I for one am not playing down our chances we can definitely go up. We are 1nil up and need a draw Wednesday night if we manage to make Wembley itโ€™s a one off occasion. letโ€™s not forget we have some real real classy players across the pitch aswell anything can happen I still fancy our chances thereโ€™s a real good feeling in the air. If we fail to weโ€™ve ended the season on a real high anyway as it is.

I think the 5-0 win for us a few weeks ago was really playing on Peterboroughโ€™s players and coaches/manager mind. Thatโ€™s the first time after watching them quite a few times this season that theyโ€™ve sat off a team and let them have the ball.

Thereโ€™s an argument we shouldโ€™ve gone for a second but cannot argue with taking a 1-0 lead there.

It looked like it took them around 70 minutes till they decided to release the handbrake. It will be very interesting how they start the second leg. I expect theyโ€™re gonna come out full throttle.

Letโ€™s hope we can nick the first goal on the break with Harris, Murphy & Dale.

It was interesting to watch us press the Peterborough defence.

The first half in particular we let their two left sided defenders Edwards and Burrows have the ball, but as soon as the two right sided defenders Knight and Katongo had it , Harris and Murphy were all over them, this continued for about 10/15 minutes into the second half, after that Harris ran out of steam and had to (understandably) conserve his energy.

On our right side, Dale is also an important part of the pressing tactic, as soon as Browne replaced him Peterborough started to take advantage.

Pressing from the front is clearly a big part of Buckinghamโ€™s tactics and how he wants us to play, but our lack of another striker and wide player to be able to continue with the press in the final quarter of the game is concerning and could be crucial in the second leg and final should we get there.

I think the 5-0 win for us a few weeks ago was really playing on Peterboroughโ€™s players and coaches/manager mind. Thatโ€™s the first time after watching them quite a few times this season that theyโ€™ve sat off a team and let them have the ball.

Thereโ€™s an argument we shouldโ€™ve gone for a second but cannot argue with taking a 1-0 lead there.

It looked like it took them around 70 minutes till they decided to release the handbrake. It will be very interesting how they start the second leg. I expect theyโ€™re gonna come out full throttle.

Letโ€™s hope we can nick the first goal on the break with Harris, Murphy & Dale.
Definitely, Harrison Burrows said as much after the game in amongst some snide remarks that made him look very bitter. His comments on the โ€˜stampโ€™ and the โ€˜elbowโ€™ were frankly laughable - you know youโ€™re desperate when youโ€™re calling the EFL to look at those incidents in retrospect in a beg for bans.

He said the plan early was to go long over the press, essentially conceding that they couldnโ€™t cope with it last time and didnโ€™t back themselves to do any better this time. Smart from Ferguson in fairness, but a good indication of where we now are - teams have to change for us.

Different story at their place. Theyโ€™ll go purebred Posh and weโ€™ll have to deal with that. I have a horrible feeling we might concede early and will need to settle down.

I think the key is to make Randall defend. He runs the show and gives others confidence to go. Force him back and frustrate him and they canโ€™t get out.

It will be a really tough game but we are more than capable of scoring and if we do it makes things difficult for them. They will really go for it and we will probably have moments where weโ€™ll be under a lot of pressure but we have to manage the game!

A great performance from the lads last night and a brilliant atmosphere created by the fans. Itโ€™s only half time but we have got our noses in front. If we have the same commitment and energy on Wednesday we can go on to finish the job.
Well done Des, the lads and the fans.
COYY

Absolutely buzzing after last night and what an incredible atmosphere just so pleased my 14yo was able to witness a win under the lights, with the passion of the crowd and players being broadcast around the world.
Not sure we quite have enough to get past them but you never know, pressure can do funny things and we do have a 1-goal advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom