Home Match Day Thread 04/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 1st Leg - OUFC vs Peterborough

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Already been said but, what a great atmosphere. SSU singing, chucking balloons and streamers and very animated. Good game to watch with us really looking dominant for a good part of the time. Only downside was the final 25/30 minutes where the tactics changed. Cumming kicking is not for the faint hearted! For those critical of Browne and Bodin, what chance did they have when the ball flew over their heads? Would have much preferred that we kept possession and played out from the back. The back four looked happy doing so and the chance to send Murphy and Browne would have, to my mind, been more effective in eating up time. Who knows, might even have got a second goal.
Very pleased to note the changes to set pieces with corners being varied - a goal from one surely being testament to progress.
The work rate from the starting eleven was immense, how Harris runs around as he does for so long is incredible - if only Goodwin was fit enough to allow him to get a break.
Still not got tickets for the second leg so almost resigned to watching on Sky come Wednesday. So petty from Peterborough to limit our allocation and still not manage to sell out their own. Rather pathetic on their part really.

Just think we need another midfielder as always get overrun. Control the game in the centre. We look worse when we bring our subs on as they donโ€™t work as hard. Whatever happens they are all gone in the summer, obvious to me that Des wants his team to work hard without the ball. Browne doesnโ€™t do that for sure and Bodin doesnโ€™t either.
I do agree that we press very high with RR and Tyler. When they tire we don't have anybody to come on able to do the same.
And if course we have nobody to come on for Harris at all.
In the summer I am sure that Des will want to address that.

That was very much a game of two periods - before we scored, where we were the better team, on the front foot, had more of the ball and looked calm and confident, and after we scored, when Peterborough started to come at us and we stopped passing it round at the back, stopped finding a teammate with a pass and just smashed it long, inviting wave after wave of attacks. Sky showed a stat which basically said that after the goal we barely had a kick. We were lucky that their striker blocked that cross by accident as it would have been a tap in for them, so Iโ€™m not sure itโ€™s a case that we held them at arms length and managed out the game.

A great win, we played well and I thought our defensive players were excellent, and everyone put in a shift - but itโ€™s only half time in the tie and we absolutely cannot play like we did after we scored for 90 mins at their place and expect them not to score a goal. We have to be able to keep the ball under pressure, and we have to at least offer some threat on the counter. Iโ€™m sure Des will look at this and address it.

the league game comes more into play on Wednesday, we may have given over possession percentage after we scored.
But in the league game we only had 30% but scored 5.
Fatigue through 3 games in their week , played a part. But we were sharp on the counter and punished those mistakes.
Defensively theyโ€™ll be edgy, Harris almost picked them a couple of times last night,

A little bit of power in the wrong hands and they get all excited about being in charge.
I believe theyโ€™re not local stewards, theyโ€™re just casual labour, so couldnโ€™t give a crap about Oxford.

Well done last night guys a thoroughly professional performance all round. Even a one goal lead adds to the pressure on Posh and the longer it takes them to equalise the more that pressure and doubt increases, both in the players and the crowd. Posh will obviously attack you and they have the players to hurt you if you give them space but they do have weaknesses too. Theyโ€™re a young team so are prone to panic but whilst theyโ€™re very good going forward they can be vulnerable at the back, especially from corners and set pieces, so as you proved last night maybe rather than risking attacking too much and leaving gaps at the back you could capitalise on that? Either way good luck on Wednesday and hopefully Wanderers will do the business on Tuesday and weโ€™ll see you at Wembley? ๐Ÿ˜

I believe theyโ€™re not local stewards, theyโ€™re just casual labour, so couldnโ€™t give a crap about Oxford.
Yep, contractors. Bit different to 96. Look at the police enjoying themselves when Moody scores!

GMw2Ch9XkAAM8I0

GMw2FiWWgAACyDx

Thoroughly enjoyed last night. We played well and we look like a team. The fans were excellent and I can see a lot of young supporters starting to get the bug. A fantastic display of colour and noise. I sat smugly in the SSU on half way line listening to a few songs from posh at a decent decibel levelโ€ฆfollowed by a stream of very deep, loud and hearty replys from our fanbaseโ€ฆ

I have an inckling that it will be our lack of depth within our style that will tell on Wednesday. On 70 mins, if instead of Bodin and Browne, there was say, Mills and Edwards, and then say A fit Matete and Goodwin too, we would have pretty much booked our Wembley visit last night.

The difference between performances earlier in the year and now is quite astonishing.
Yes I think the turnaround since January/February performances is staggering. It does explain why some were more than a bit frustrated with the lack of progress before then given how much we have changed in a smaller timeframe since. But the improvements now are almost visible by the game (including now set pieces, hooray!) and we have a very settled XI, the team almost picks itself.

The walloping at Bolton was unquestionably the key result of the season and our chance to hit factory reset. I think it also murdered all expectation which lifted the pressure a bit and forced the team to focus on just playing for performances rather than results. Weโ€™ve built on that ever since which is all any fan wants to see - progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom