General Yesteryear

I've got four.
Vinter, Rhoades-Brown, Whatmore and McCulloch.
Good spot. Bit before my time, I was only 4 when he left the club so no wonder I didn't recognise the name.

Colin

Correct although former assistant manager to Brian Horton, David Moss scored for Luton.

He was offered a deal at United in the early 70‘s but went to Swindon.

John Aldridge says Caicedo should have signed for Liverpool and not Chelsea because ... Oxford United beat Chelsea three times in four months in 1985/86, and so Chelsea are a "small club".
Brilliant! Whenever I worry I'm too nostalgic Aldo pops up to remind me what a real long memory looks like. Judging from his Twitter account down the years I swear the bloke remembers not just every goal he scored for us but every kick.

Colin

Correct although former assistant manager to Brian Horton, David Moss scored for Luton.

He was offered a deal at United in the early 70‘s but went to Swindon.
I did actually spot his name, but thought we were only talking about previous players for us.

Many years ago, when my oldest lad was mascot against Brentford, Brian Horton was manager, and as you say, David Moss was his assistant. Given his Swindon links I didn't want to like him, but he was actually a brilliant and bubbly bloke, and was really good with my son. I've never met him since, so that's how I remember David Moss, but have met Brian Horton several times since, and a greater gentleman and genuinely nice bloke would be harder to find. A good pair, and particularly at what was a difficult time for the club off the field.

ON THIS DAY

August 17th 2002

EktI9s1XUAEV0IX

New signing Steve Basham netted a first half winner on this day 21 years ago in a 1-0 victory at Darlington.
It was Basham’s first goal for the U’s and the club’s final visit to Feethams as Darlington moved to the new £18m
25,500 all-seater Reynolds Arena the following summer.

U’s: Woodman - McNiven Waterman Crosby Bound Robinson - Savage Hunt Oldfield - Basham Scott

Subs: Ricketts Whitehead Hackett

Att: 3,533

E2jl8bbXEAYX2ZA

ON THIS DAY

August 17th 2002

EktI9s1XUAEV0IX

New signing Steve Basham netted a first half winner on this day 21 years ago in a 1-0 victory at Darlington.
It was Basham’s first goal for the U’s and the club’s final visit to Feethams as Darlington moved to the new £18m

U’s: Woodman - McNiven Waterman Crosby Bound Robinson - Savage Hunt Oldfield - Basham Scott

E2jl8bbXEAYX2ZA

£18m for a stadium? Bargain!

ON THIS DAY

August 17th 2002

EktI9s1XUAEV0IX

E2jl8bbXEAYX2ZA

I liked Feethams.

Reading that lineup just gives me instant flashbacks to JCR St Edmund Hall going off on yet another anti-Atkins rant because he's left Whitehead & Hackett (and probably Powell too) on the bench again whilst he plays Waterman, Savage and Hunt*

(*a post for my fellow sad souls that have been wasting far too much of their time arguing all things yellow on the web for more than twenty years!)

ON THIS DAY

August 18th 2018

DUJGSqSXkAAwj8R

On this day five years ago United give a league debut to new signing Jamie Hanson from Derby County, a defensive midfielder, but the U’s are thrashed 4-1 at Frattton Park. Hanson was signed on a four year contract and had a disastrous match.

This followed a 4-0 defeat at Barnsley on the opening day of the 2018-19 season two weeks earlier.The U’s also featured on loan Derby ‘keeper Jonathan Mitchell after Simon Eastwood suffered a finger injury. The pressure was mounting on Head Coach Karl Robinson with United losing their first four league matches of the campaign.

U’s: Mitchell - McMahon Nelson Dickie Garbutt - Hanson Brannagan Baptiste - Mackie Smith Browne

Subs; Henry, Ruffels, Obika

Att: 18,093

ON THIS DAY

August 28th 1976

Fow_b9GXEAY0h2J

United secure their first third division victory of the 1976-77 season with a 3-1 win at Sealand Road, Chester.
Peter Houseman with his first U’s goal, Hugh McGrogan and a Tony Loska o.g did the damage.

U’s: Burton - Taylor Bodel Clarke Shuker - McGrogan Jeffrey Houseman Duncan - Foley Tait

Att: 3,587

Phil Gray? I remember Martin Gray, but have no recollection of Phil Gray playing for us. I have Googled him, and I see he played 44 games for us between 2000-2002 but I have absolutely no memory of him at all!!!
Did a good job in a short time with the club. Not overly quick but good close control. Not as slimmed down as the present squad, more like a mini Nigel Jemson.

ON THIS DAY

August 28th 1976

Fow_b9GXEAY0h2J

United secure their first third division victory of the 1976-77 season with a 3-1 win at Sealand Road, Chester.
Peter Houseman with his first U’s goal, Hugh McGrogan and a Tony Loska o.g did the damage.

U’s: Burton - Taylor Bodel Clarke Shuker - McGrogan Jeffrey Houseman Duncan - Foley Tait

Att: 3,587
Is that 9 of the starting line up through the youth set up ?

Is that 9 of the starting line up through the youth set up ?
I've got 8 not sure about shuker??
Houseman & Clarke weren't.
If not they were very young. it makes me laugh nowadays, all this nonsense about loaning your youngster's out on loan, for experience.
Nothing better than playing regular if your good enough some of these lads don't get a chance till they're 22/ 23 odd. Billy Jeffery, Jason seacole both 16, in fact all the above team nearly was between 16& 18 when they started.....

ON THIS DAY

August 29th 2015

CNmGfGSVEAAHdj9

United fans attended this home fixture dubbed ‘retro day’ eight years ago in all manner of previous year’s replica shirts and saw the U’s beat Yeovil Town 2-0
with goals from Danny Hylton and Callum O’Dowda.

After this game United had played five league L2 fixtures and were fifth on nine points. They went on to win promotion in 2015-16.

U’s: Slocombe - Baldock Mullins Wright Skarz - MacDonald Sercombe Rose Roofe - O’Dowda Hylton
Subs: Ruffels Lundstram Crocombe Taylor Hoban Dunkley Roberts

Att: 6,018 including 437 from Somerset
The fifty/50 saw a £1,124 prize win.

Back
Top Bottom