International News Will Putin attack a NATO ally?

Will he?

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters
Yes that would be my concern. We'd need to offer him a way to back out. I think the outcome to hope for is a palace coup - I read today that he'd kept the invasion from his cabinet, and that they're all too scared to resign.
Yep, I still think Russia themselves are the only ones who can stop this through Putin's removal. The only problem is how long that might take.

His cabinet and inner circle could do with growing some Zelensky-sized balls quite quickly....

If he did chance it the response would be swift, brutal and technically overwhelming for Russia before he got to the big red button he would be popped off probably by one of his own.

And Eastern Europe and plenty of Eurasia will be destroyed/ pretty unlivable as well.
Yep. I was only thinking about impacts on us. That it will at least be mutual and reciprocal is a given.

Virtually nobody and virtually nothing will survive, let alone win.

If you were at school in the 70's and 80's when this s**t felt real, then these feelings will have disturbing parallels to those times.

Yep. I was only thinking about impacts on us. That it will at least be mutual and reciprocal is a given.

Virtually nobody and virtually nothing will survive, let alone win.

If you were at school in the 70's and 80's when this s**t felt real, then these feelings will have disturbing parallels to those times.

Tbh, growing up in the 80s, it was there but never really registered as scary for me, just background noise. This feels far more scary and real.

Tbh, growing up in the 80s, it was there but never really registered as scary for me, just background noise. This feels far more scary and real.
Guess it depends where you grew up in some respects. We had an early warning siren just down the road which you couldn't help seeing every day. There were times it felt very real!

Last edited:
Many of the young russuians who oppose putins attack on ukraine are heading into finland as putins regime clamp down on those who dare to speak out

Cluster bombs (illegal?) And an attack on the biggest nuclear plant in ukraine

Putin (& his regime) are war criminals ....the international community should consider special resolutions to be introduced, sharpish.

Guess it depends where you grew up in some respects. We have an early warning siren just down the road which you couldn't help seeing every day. There were times it felt very real!

We heard regular siren tests as we had RAF Abingdon about 1 mile away, RAF Benson in one direction and RAF Brize Norton both within 30 minutes.

I think it was just a normal part of life, so didn't register as something other than routine. Probably helped that we knew plenty of RAF personnel so it wasn't a mystery. I liked history etc so knew about the Cold War etc so wasn't a lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
When in Germany and France I have always been surprised by the number of houses that have properly fitted out basements. I'm also aware of municipal bunkers in Germany. Not sure where we'd go if RAF Benson or Brize Norton were targeted. 😳

When in Germany and France I have always been surprised by the number of houses that have properly fitted out basements. I'm also aware of municipal bunkers in Germany. Not sure where we'd go if RAF Benson or Brize Norton were targeted. 😳
It won’t happen .
I live in Bampton and can see the hangers at Brize.
I think the damage caused by storm Eunice, is more of a concern and catching Covid on LRTC coaches.
That of course is a localised view and in no way underestimates the suffering being felt in Ukraine.

It won’t happen .
I live in Bampton and can see the hangers at Brize.
I think the damage caused by storm Eunice, is more of a concern and catching Covid on LRTC coaches.
That of course is a localised view and in no way underestimates the suffering being felt in Ukraine.
I hope you’re right, and think you probably are, but I’m going to dip out of the thread as I do find it all pretty upsetting and stressful. An absolutely lovely woman at work is from Ukraine

namechecked in Radioheads you and who's army , Oxfords very own DIY disco punk-popsters Holy Roman Empire with Atom Bombs .... ( just a taster ... go to spotify for the full track)

Just hope we're close enough and in the blast radius as it wouldn't be conventional weapons.

Don’t know if it’s still the case but when I was an army kid every German village had an early warning siren that was tested once a month. As an 8-year old I lived in a place where there was a small compound of Russian soldiers literally at the bottom of our garden (called “Soxmis”).
German underground car parks were fitted out so they could be rapidly converted into field hospitals.
Every few months we’d get woken up by a car driving round with a loud hailer shouting for all our dads to head off on exercise.
Definitely wasn’t just background noise for us!

Back
Top Bottom