General Tim Williams Vote of Confidence

Do you have confidence in Tim Williams leadership?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe he should play in the back 4 on Saturday, that was backs to the wall stuff.
It is always difficult doing interviews that simply deflect critism and have no new information to add.
Would actually have been better to decline the interview because he has nothing new to add and the fan base fundamentally have already decided that KR's position is untenable. I just hope they are working on a strategy otherwise his own position will fall into a Keith Cox senario
Yes, it was difficult, but it did rather feel like a telling off in parts.

Ultimately the club has inexplicably hitched its wagon to Karl Robinson. If we get relegated, I can’t see how Williams will ever be able to regain the trust of the fans.

Even if we were to get immediately promoted back into League One next season, it will have been yet another wasted year.

It’s a massive gamble being taken, despite his claim that sitting on our hands is somehow less of a gamble. His job as a football CEO in the future potentially rests on whether KR can muster some wins between now and May.

We all hope we get those wins but what a sorry mess we’ve got ourselves into by not making the logical decision to unburden ourselves of KR last Summer/last Autumn/this Winter.

I’ve been a big critic of a lot of things recently, but to be fair I thought Tim answered most things in a very calm and clear way. Ok he didn’t necessarily give some of the answers and clarity we immediately wanted especially re KR, but what could he really say in public? I certainly got the feeling that the owners and boards patience is running out with regards to our league position and the poor performances. Whether that’s true or not then we may find out in a few days, should we fail to win or lose Saturdays vital game, but I thought the interview, questions and responses overall was fair enough on the whole.

Atleast he has confirmed they will do a fans forum in March before or after a game. We can ask all questions and counter their answers.

Yes, it was difficult, but it did rather feel like a telling off in parts.

Ultimately the club has inexplicably hitched its wagon to Karl Robinson. If we get relegated, I can’t see how Williams will ever be able to regain the trust of the fans.

Even if we were to get immediately promoted back into League One next season, it will have been yet another wasted year.

It’s a massive gamble being taken, despite his claim that sitting on our hands is somehow less of a gamble. His job as a football CEO in the future potentially rests on whether KR can muster some wins between now and May.

We all hope we get those wins but what a sorry mess we’ve got ourselves into by not making the logical decision to unburden ourselves of KR last Summer/last Autumn/this Winter.
Not sure he will ever want or need another football CEO role. It will look good on the CV. He is a high powered FD. He will walk into a number roles be that in sport or elsewhere.
The real problem was the hiatus between the change of ownership which meant last summer too many people had their eyes off the ball. Like any pre ownership change, no key decisions are made and that combined with KR's personal issues meant we left ourselves between a rock and a hard place for this season. The warning signs were there with the collapse at the end of last season.
What I don't understand is this change is inevitable yet we delay to a point where others are getting dragged into the fiasco.

Last edited:
I’ve been a big critic of a lot of things recently, but to be fair I thought Tim answered most things in a very calm and clear way. Ok he didn’t necessarily give some of the answers and clarity we immediately wanted especially re KR, but what could he really say in public? I certainly got the feeling that the owners and boards patience is running out with regards to our league position and the poor performances. Whether that’s true or not then we may find out in a few days, should we fail to win or lose Saturdays vital game, but I thought the interview, questions and responses overall was fair enough on the whole.
I thought the most salient point, was its easy to recruit poor staff but takes time to employ the best, I just hope the manager recruitment process has already started and we are looking for that individual. I can hope can't I.

It's all just a bit lacking... I'm sat here so uninspired listening to it. He's defending how much they're putting in but the underlying message from fans is that it isn't visible. The universal language in football is the results! Whatever they think they're doing, it's translating as loss after loss on the pitch. He didn't answer the question about Karl head on and that's annoying as it is nine tenths of fan concern at the moment. 'Karl know results must improve' - why didn't he know that 10/12 games ago? I still sense there is an arrogance we are surely not going to go down which will ultimately be what takes us down if we don't snap out of it now.

I’ve said it many times previously, ‘the easiest thing to do is nothing’ that certainly applied to the period in the autumn, and now it’s caught up with those who took the easier decision at the time.

All we as fans can do now is hope the team secures enough points to retain our league 1 status.

The board still has the option of sacking Robinson, but the longer they leave it and this winless run continues the less opportunity a new manager has of turning things round.

Basically two monumental errors of judgement this season, firstly Robinson’s abject failure to build a balanced squad with a record budget at his disposal, and secondly the boards failure to change the manager in the autumn.

Both of these failures could result in is playing League 2 football next season, if however we somehow survive the drop it will be despite Robinson not because of him. We simply shouldn’t be remotely anywhere near a relegation scrap with our budget.

The director of football question was an eye opener for me. When asked if we needed one he seemed very defensive. He reiterated they had enough experience at the club already with Karl Robinson, Craig Short and Fazackerley.

That's a worrying answer. About as unambitious as you could get.

Positives from the interview, for me, were that we have an intelligent, articulate CEO who has quickly recognised and started to address the significant previous off the field deficiencies in terms of marketing and fan engagement. We need to do so much better in this area and the initial signs are already promising. The fact that we were prepared to break our transfer record again in January (having reportedly made a similar high bid in the summer) shows that the owners are still strongly committed, albeit it was ultimately another transfer window of crushing disappointment in failing to address some of the obvious player recruitment needs. It was also extremely encouraging to hear that the owners are happy to progress a redevelopment at the Triangle rather than the original SB site - this is a very important reassurance in terms of the future viability of the club and it shouldn't be lost amongst everything else.

The obvious negative from the interview is that there is still no indication of a managerial change, which will bring varying degrees of apathy, anger and despair amongst an increasingly disillusioned fan base. For me It's a mix of all three emotions and to use Tim's own expression from his first FF interview, it's definitely time to roll the dice. Taking action is not a gamble at this stage as even survival under KR will not bring the departing fans back. Inaction is by far the biggest gamble of all. A new start doesn't guarantee success admittedly, but thing cannot get worse on the pitch (after a season of dross) and it will immediately re-unite the fanbase, re-engage many and get everyone back behind the team and the club as we collectively battle relegation in the short-term with a view to pushing on next season.

Below is taken from another thread from September 2nd last year - the second part (below the prophetic analysis from Chippy) was my post at that time and it's amazing how much still rings true, although we are well beyond the mediocrity point at this stage!

So summer 22:

We‘ve sold or not been able to retain a number of players with pace, energy, potential, value, drive.

We‘ve replaced with generally older, slower, more injury prone, less value.

We’ve got a thread bare squad that’s about half a dozen short of the cap.

We've got a squad with possibly two proven players of our own who would be considered good enough long term for the Championship (MM & CB).

Maybe 2/3 more of Championship ability if they can get fit, stay fit and return to their very best (MB,JM,YW), though you’d have to be very very doubtful that they could cope with the rigours of a higher league, as proven in recent seasons.

I honestly can’t believe what’s happened, I’m disheartened, disappointed and above all appalled.
Almost verbatim what I would have written although my last word would not have been ‘appalled’, it would have been ‘unsurprised’.

As Colin B wrote on another thread, it feels as though the club has been sleepwalking towards mediocrity since before the end of last season.

Off the field we are not up to scratch - the marketing (poor promotion of season tickets) and commercial activities (lack of a shirt sponsor, lack of stock availability ) simply aren’t good enough. And now we have a much poorer product (team) to sell than over the past few years. With the cost of living soaring, crowds and income streams will likely decline significantly.

On the field we are a hard watch - no excitement, no pace, little attacking threat. If we lose either of our two high quality mids, we will really be in trouble. As it is, I am fearing a relegation battle rather than a promotion challenge.

Based on all our performances to date and the lack of any strengthening to an obviously deficient squad, which the manager himself has highlighted and yet not addressed, we are definitely not too good to go down.

The director of football question was an eye opener for me. When asked if we needed one he seemed very defensive. He reiterated they had enough experience at the club already with Karl Robinson, Craig Short and Fazackerley.

That's a worrying answer. About as unambitious as you could get.
It's not the knowledge base that's the issue, it's the reporting structure or lack of it.

Positives from the interview, for me, were that we have an intelligent, articulate CEO who has quickly recognised and started to address the significant previous off the field deficiencies in terms of marketing and fan engagement. We need to do so much better in this area and the initial signs are already promising. The fact that we were prepared to break our transfer record again in January (having reportedly made a similar high bid in the summer) shows that the owners are still strongly committed, albeit it was ultimately another transfer window of crushing disappointment in failing to address some of the obvious player recruitment needs. It was also extremely encouraging to hear that the owners are happy to progress a redevelopment at the Triangle rather than the original SB site - this is a very important reassurance in terms of the future viability of the club and it shouldn't be lost amongst everything else.

The obvious negative from the interview is that there is still no indication of a managerial change, which will bring varying degrees of apathy, anger and despair amongst an increasingly disillusioned fan base. For me It's a mix of all three emotions and to use Tim's own expression from his first FF interview, it's definitely time to roll the dice. Taking action is not a gamble at this stage as even survival under KR will not bring the departing fans back. Inaction is by far the biggest gamble of all. A new start doesn't guarantee success admittedly, but thing cannot get worse on the pitch (after a season of dross) and it will immediately re-unite the fanbase, re-engage many and get everyone back behind the team and the club as we collectively battle relegation in the short-term with a view to pushing on next season.

Below is taken from another thread from September 2nd last year - the second part (below the prophetic analysis from Chippy) was my post at that time and it's amazing how much still rings true, although we are well beyond the mediocrity point at this stage!

Almost verbatim what I would have written although my last word would not have been ‘appalled’, it would have been ‘unsurprised’.

As Colin B wrote on another thread, it feels as though the club has been sleepwalking towards mediocrity since before the end of last season.

Off the field we are not up to scratch - the marketing (poor promotion of season tickets) and commercial activities (lack of a shirt sponsor, lack of stock availability ) simply aren’t good enough. And now we have a much poorer product (team) to sell than over the past few years. With the cost of living soaring, crowds and income streams will likely decline significantly.

On the field we are a hard watch - no excitement, no pace, little attacking threat. If we lose either of our two high quality mids, we will really be in trouble. As it is, I am fearing a relegation battle rather than a promotion challenge.

Based on all our performances to date and the lack of any strengthening to an obviously deficient squad, which the manager himself has highlighted and yet not addressed, we are definitely not too good to go down.
Superb post mate

Re the recruitment, squad deficiencies and the type of players we need to sign, this was an area not really discussed today by Tim, other than saying we have shortlisted for the new head of recruitment role. Let’s hope we get someone who knows the types of players we need moving forward and will be able to work with hopefully a new manager. There is no way moving forward that we can ever come close to the fiasco of the last 3 transfer windows, if KR remains then I do fear what will happen this summer. I would have liked to Tim to say it’s clear that the squad and transfer business has been way below par, which has impacted and led to the on the field failures, it’s a shame he didn’t get a follow up question about that and players who have been frozen out or moved on.

We have to stay up, and we have to have a clean slate and fresh approach and new ideas for next season across many aspects of the club, otherwise we will achieve nothing. I think Tim is under more pressure in his role than he bargained for, hope he’s up to the task for the sake of OUFC in the immediate future.

It was positive to get reassurance on the stadium and nice to have my excitement reignited, but I wasn't impressed by a few things and think he's still not getting it:

1) As others have pointed out, the chippy response to the 'customers' question. Don't criticise us for holding you to account on it, Tim. Own it and apologise sincerely instead of being incredulous and making it seem like we're overreacting. You may have only said it once, but you said it in your one of your first addresses to fans when we were forming our first impressions and wanting reassurance. For an intelligent man, it was an unbelievably stupid comment given the setting you were talking in.

2) The comment around attendances. Yes, every club has ST holders that don't attend, but don't try and dress up what is happening at the moment as regular attrition on a par with every other club. Season ticket holders are staying away in significant volumes as an active choice because they're utterly fed up and disillusioned, not because everyone's got a burst of family weddings to attend at the moment.

3) For me, he's still deluded about where we are in the league. "We're not safe yet" is what Premier league teams that are happy to avoid relegation say when it's February and they only need two wins to hit 40 points. We don't just need to confirm it, we're knee deep in it. Our April is horrendous and we've only won once against the bottom 5 so far.

4) A DOF isn't a different name for a Head of Recruitment. At all. Quite alarming, that one...

Hmmmm. Still remain to be convinced we're in safe hands at the moment.

Sorry, but refusing to actually answer the first, most direct question of all is an instant fail. The equivalent of driving the car through the wall of the test centre at the beginning of a driving exam.

Giving a penny lecture about people’s feelings, getting chippy because people have pulled him up on his own previous poor choice of words (why not admit you misjudged the tone and hold your hands up?), and describing a recruitment head / SD / DOF as the same role when they’re absolutely not… really poor.

Uncle Timmy is coming across as rather thin skinned. Welcome to the real front lines of football, buddy. You’re a long way from your Excel spreadsheets now. Being a CEO rather than a CFO means you’re going to have to dry your eyes a lot if you can’t handle the most basic s**t without wagging your finger and stamping your foot.

Furthermore, any CEO having to openly ponder when the Chairman of the football club will next show up (not necessarily his fault but a poor reflection of the club) is also not a great way to instil belief. “Some time in March, not sure exactly when” is not good enough in our position, IMO. The club is still largely on autopilot. If the Chairman isn’t in the country for another month, does that mean we just have to keep plodding on even if we keep failing to win games?

Massive LOL at him naming everybody at the club bar LBS when talking about experience and knowledge. Flashbacks to David Brent’s “you’re not gonna lose your job” monologue. I might start referring to Leon as Malcolm.

I waited a couple of hours after hearing it to really asses how it made me feel. Not great, tbh. These things are never flawless and you will always annoy people along the way, but some of the fundamental flaws and failings in the way he seems to view the world as far as OUFC is concerned should raise both eyebrows.

Sorry, but refusing to actually answer the first, most direct question of all is an instant fail. The equivalent of driving the car through the wall of the test centre at the beginning of a driving exam.

Giving a penny lecture about people’s feelings, getting chippy because people have pulled him up on his own previous poor choice of words (why not admit you misjudged the tone and hold your hands up?), and describing a recruitment head / SD / DOF as the same role when they’re absolutely not… really poor.

Uncle Timmy is coming across as rather thin skinned. Welcome to the real front lines of football, buddy. You’re a long way from your Excel spreadsheets now. Being a CEO rather than a CFO means you’re going to have to dry your eyes a lot if you can’t handle the most basic s**t without wagging your finger and stamping your foot.

Furthermore, any CEO having to openly ponder when the Chairman of the football club will next show up (not necessarily his fault but a poor reflection of the club) is also not a great way to instil belief. “Some time in March, not sure exactly when” is not good enough in our position, IMO. The club is still largely on autopilot. If the Chairman isn’t in the country for another month, does that mean we just have to keep plodding on even if we keep failing to win games?

Massive LOL at him naming everybody at the club bar LBS when talking about experience and knowledge. Flashbacks to David Brent’s “you’re not gonna lose your job” monologue. I might start referring to Leon as Malcolm.

I waited a couple of hours after hearing it to really asses how it made me feel. Not great, tbh. These things are never flawless and you will always annoy people along the way, but some of the fundamental flaws and failings in the way he seems to view the world as far as OUFC is concerned should raise both eyebrows.
If you do rename LBS at least we can be clear about when it’s him or your car that you’re describing…

It felt as if the answer to the DoF question had come straight out of Robinson’s mouth.

He certainly dodged the 1st question, I understand it is hard to answer but a bit more clarity would have been good.
As for the other stuff I thought he spoke well and was strong on what he said. It might not be what some fans want to hear but he is there to put forward his stance from a club perspective.
For me it sounds like the club just want to get through this season and then have a big reset in the summer which will involve either a new manager or a new group of back room staff.

Good news on the stadium front as well and the owners.

He spoke well, sounded believable and I have no reason not to believe him. That said, from bitter experience, I judge by actions not words. The only significant action visible to me is the disaster being played out on the pitch and, as the person responsible for that should have been long gone I'm looking for more to convince me better times are around the corner.

He certainly dodged the 1st question, I understand it is hard to answer but a bit more clarity would have been good.
As for the other stuff I thought he spoke well and was strong on what he said. It might not be what some fans want to hear but he is there to put forward his stance from a club perspective.
For me it sounds like the club just want to get through this season and then have a big reset in the summer which will involve either a new manager or a new group of back room staff.

Good news on the stadium front as well and the owners.

Or? Jesus wept!

Back
Top Bottom