General Rules Changes - Your Opinion

QuietYeller

With the possibility of sin bins being introduced to the game I thought I’d list a few of the other possible changes that could be made to improve the game or ones that may come in like them or not!

All these obviously deserve a thread all of their own. Some are active in other sports like field hockey and rugby
I personally don’t advocate all of these, they could obviously lead to other problems, I’m just listing the possibilities that I know have been talked about.

1.Sin bins

2.60mins clock stops at every stoppage

3.Fluid subs, can be brought off and on even without stopping play

4.Dribble free kick (ie a self pass)

5.The game continues if player is getting treatment

6.A number of defenders taken out of the box at corner (stop the farcical wrestling!)

7.No throw Ins, ball is kicked

8. Ref miked up, post match interview?

What are your thoughts and can you suggest any others ?

Last edited:
I'd start by enforcing the rules they already have in place but don't.

Such as:

Booking players for surrounding the ref.
Book players for time wasting
Actually punish diving
Punish the keeper if they hold on to the ball too long

I don't see the point in bringing in new rules when they struggle to enforce the current ones!

I'd start by enforcing the rules they already have in place but don't.

Such as:

Booking players for surrounding the ref.
Book players for time wasting
Actually punish diving
Punish the keeper if they hold on to the ball too long

I don't see the point in bringing in new rules when they struggle to enforce the current ones!
Very true Steve!

With the possibility of sin bins being introduced to the game I thought I’d list a few of the other possible changes that could be made to improve the game or ones that may come in like them or not!

All these obviously deserve a thread all of their own. Some are active in other sports like field hockey and rugby
I personally don’t advocate all of these, they could obviously lead to other problems, I’m just listing the possibilities that I know have been talked about.

1.Sin bins

6.A number of defenders taken out of the box at corner (stop the farcical wrestling!)

5. That is obvious for me and shouldn't affect the flow of the game.

8. Officials miked up and recorded at at PL/FL games. So controversial/key decisions, the Officials' reasons for their decisions are explained "as live" so clubs and maybe fans can hear them. It may explain why they come to a different decision to what managers/players/fans think. You might not agree with the decision for the Scottish egg chasing but you can at least understand their rationale and why they made the final decision. Don't care about an interview though as that could easily come across as a witch-hunt. This doesn't affect the flow of the game either.

1.Sin bins

None of those, most are gimmicks which a lesser game would need. Kick ins have been trialled already.

They started actually adding the correct amount of time on for time wasting at the beginning of the season, we saw a few 10+ minute stoppage games, then they gave up and we’ve gone back to every first half seeing 1-3 mins added and every second half seeing 3-6 mins.

If you just actually added the time on that teams wasted, every time, including time wasted in added time, they’d soon stop. But you have to do it consistently for a while.

1.Sin bins

All you would need to add to this is:

4. Play on ice

5. Give everyone sticks

6. Six a side

7. Allow fighting

and you would end up with a most excellent sport that I bet the Canadians would excel at!

I reckon RyanioBirdio would like to bring back short-shorts.

anyway
5 subs is too many.
I want to watch players who can play football for 90 minutes. It makes goalscorer betting odds ridiculous when our starting attacking midfielders or forwards could get subbed in the second half just to bring on fresh legs rather than for an injury.

multiball - yes

drinks breaks - no, unless exceptional temperature

score board including the added time - yes

match time including all the added time?
i like this one but need players to get used to playing 90+10 rather than 90

4. Play on ice

5. Give everyone sticks

6. Six a side

7. Allow fighting

and you would end up with a most excellent sport that I bet the Canadians would excel at!
It might catch on!

I reckon RyanioBirdio would like to bring back short-shorts.

anyway
5 subs is too many.
I want to watch players who can play football for 90 minutes. It makes goalscorer betting odds ridiculous when our starting attacking midfielders or forwards could get subbed in the second half just to bring on fresh legs rather than for an injury.

multiball - yes

drinks breaks - no, unless exceptional temperature

score board including the added time - yes

match time including all the added time?
i like this one but need players to get used to playing 90+10 rather than 90
Yes I really hate the current free injurybreak/time out that happens at an injury
What’s that all about?

4. Play on ice

5. Give everyone sticks

6. Six a side

7. Allow fighting

I like no.7. Imagine that when Billy Whitehurst, David Rush or Johnny Lager were playing. It would have been carnage.

Add

If the referee stops the game for a player down injured, said player must be attended to by the trainer and must leave the field of play prior to the restart.

From a goalkick, once the ball has left the penalty box, the goalkeeper cannot subsequently play the ball until it has been touched by an opponent - indirect free kick.

If a foul is committed, no player from the offending side is permitted to pick up or otherwise hold the ball so as to delay the restart of play - yellow card.

When the ball goes out of play for a throw in, the first player of the side in possession that touches the ball must take the throw in - throw in reversed.

Last edited:
5. No. If someone is seriously injured and requires a stretcher and medical staff on the pitch, they need to be allowed to work without balls and players getting the way.

Add

If the referee stops the game for a player down injured, said player must be attended to by the trainer and must leave the field of played prior to the restart.

From a goalkick, once the ball has left the penalty box, the goalkeeper cannot subsequently play the ball until it has been touched by an opponent - indirect free kick.

If a foul is committed, no player from the offending side is permitted to pick up or otherwise hold the ball so as to delay the restart of play - yellow card.

When the ball goes out of play for a throw in, the first player of the side in possession that touches the ball must take the throw in - throw in reversed.
These are all good esp the goalie pass

5. No. If someone is seriously injured and requires a stretcher and medical staff on the pitch, they need to be allowed to work without balls and players getting the way.
Yes agree play must stop if it’s something serious.

Back
Top Bottom