EFL Use of multiple footballs - the rules

Manorlounger

Lately I've noticed that some referees have been insistent on the same ball being returned to play rather than using one of the sanitised balls placed around the pitch. The FA Cup game today between Chelsea and Luton highlighted how Chelsea took a quick throw in with an alternate ball to advantage and scored despite the original ball being still on the pitch.
I searched and found no more than general rules indicating that under EFL games it is at the discretion of the official as to which ball is returned. FA rules are even less conspicuous. It seems odd that a goal can stand with two balls on the pitch at the same time. There is a rule which mentions other balls, objects and animals (Cuddy's dog) being on the pitch but, so long as they are not interfering with play, all is ok.

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation?

Lately I've noticed that some referees have been insistent on the same ball being returned to play rather than using one of the sanitised balls placed around the pitch. The FA Cup game today between Chelsea and Luton highlighted how Chelsea took a quick throw in with an alternate ball to advantage and scored despite the original ball being still on the pitch.
I searched and found no more than general rules indicating that under EFL games it is at the discretion of the official as to which ball is returned. FA rules are even less conspicuous. It seems odd that a goal can stand with two balls on the pitch at the same time. There is a rule which mentions other balls, objects and animals (Cuddy's dog) being on the pitch but, so long as they are not interfering with play, all is ok.

Yes. They're incompetent and not fit to run a bath, let alone football!!!

At the Kassam we use a new ball if it goes beyond the advertising board.

In regards to the Chelsea goal that should not have stood as you can't have two balls on the pitch. I guess that's the issue with having a multi ball system, the officials can switch off.

The real question is would it the goal have stood if it was Luton that scored and not Chelsea 🤔

The real question is would it the goal have stood if it was Luton that scored and not Chelsea 🤔
Joking aside, it is becoming more apparent by the game that Premiership officials interpret the rules differently to the EFL. Far less pointing and stopping play and much more advantage played before pulling the game back to the infringement. Far less controversy because they do get it right more than they get it wrong. (ok, they also have VAR but only for the most contentious decisions)
Granted, it is not easy being the official but, surely there has to be some central guidance and oversight of how the laws of the game are implemented? How can it be that the higher up the pyramid the better the standards become? Why is it that, invariably, if a Premiership side is involved, a regular Premiership official appears on the pitch.
How I would love to see a Kettle or a Drysdale take command of a Premiership game, live on TV with all the pundits there to point out any errors.

Didn't see much of the Chelsea/Luton game and missed this. I was under the impression in the FL due to Covid they want the same ball that is already in play used as much as possible unless it goes into the stands. Certainly the Ref yesterday wanted that as he told one of their players to use the original ball and put the other one back.

Back
Top Bottom