General Overrated/Underrated Players

A player that doesn’t get much of a mention in these type of discussions is Dean Saunders, so I’m nominating him for the underrated category, even though he was a popular player at the time he’s become a little bit of a forgotten man.

Probably inevitably and unfairly got compared to Aldridge, but as a player I really liked him. Good goal scorer.
Great player for us, playing alongside the even more underrated Martin Foyle. We let him go way too soon.

Under-rated: Nigel Jemson (in his first spell with us). Thought he was a really clever forward, but there seemed to be quite a few fans that were a little unimpressed by him.

Also under-rated: John Byrne. I think pretty much everyone rated him at the time tbh, but he seldom seems to get mentioned by anyone these days. Absolute class.
John Byrne was loved by Oxford fans during his time here. But agree rarely gets mentioned these days.

Didn’t he bang some bird from Fox FM? Would be interesting to know if she rated him!!

Underrated….jimmy Phillips, Jim magilton, John Durnin, John Byrne, Martin Aldridge, Simon clist, Danny Hylton

Overrated….Billy Turley, Luke Foster , Yemi Odubade, Rob Duffy,

Underrated: Mark Harris, Elliott Moore, Fin Stevens, Alex Gorrin (before injuries)

Overrated: Nobody because we're such a fickle bunch

I was just thinking about players who rarely got injured and how a couple of those right now would help us out.

And who should come to mind for that - Dannie Bulman. Got rid of way too quickly by Wilder (and he admitted as such) and then played a further 422 matches after leaving us including two promotions.

One of my favourite players from that era.

I was just thinking about players who rarely got injured and how a couple of those right now would help us out.

And who should come to mind for that - Dannie Bulman. Got rid of way too quickly by Wilder (and he admitted as such) and then played a further 422 matches after leaving us including two promotions.

We replaced him with Josh Payne who didn't do much at all.

Paul McLaren
Josh Payne
Paul Wotton
Ryan Burge
Mark Wilson
Lewis Montrose

So many pretenders that followed. Oh, Dannie Boy …

Man, how did you manage to get such mediocrity into so few names?

A player I had completely forgotten about until your mention there. The only detail I could recall was that he came through the Youth System at Manchester United. A classic Wilder panic buy.
He started in the 2-0 win over Swindon as well.
Man, how did you manage to get such mediocrity into so few names?
wikipedia and OUFC seasons 2010 through 2013.

Incredible isn’t it? He was 32 when he left and played over 400 games more!

As an aside, I seem to remember that our first competitive game at the Kassam was against Rochdale when a 41 year old Tony Ford was man of the match.

Paul McLaren
Josh Payne
Paul Wotton
Ryan Burge
Mark Wilson
Lewis Montrose

Wilson and Burge are drawing a complete blank, Wotton, Payne and Montrose mediocre but McClaren was fairly decent just his legs were going if I remember correctly. Hardly a murderers row of tough tackling midfielders to replace Bullman with though.

Saying that my missus uncle supports Brentford, goes to half their home games and a couple of away games every season and he can't remember Josh McEachran playing for them which I suppose I should have taken as a sign for what was to come from him this season.

Paul McLaren
Josh Payne
Paul Wotton
Ryan Burge
Mark Wilson
Lewis Montrose

I had a season ticket but I only really remember Josh Payne! I recall him being quite good but with some sort of issues, he went to jail I think.

Overrated: our midfield! Cam and McGuane are a canny pair at this level, but as a collective we're too often overrun. Cue discussion of defensive midfielder. RR is particularly unconvincing when we're up against it though looks great against the likes of Burton.

Back
Top Bottom