General Our Strongest Team...?

I’d ask why you’re adamant we need another attacker at full back.
We’ve been at our best this season when allowing Leigh license up the left and Long tucking in alongside Moore and Brown.
The line up I mentioned would allow the likes of Rodrigues, Browne and Edwards freedom to harass the last third in support of Harris. Whilst either McGuane or Brannagan and Leigh back up in support,
It's not even another attacker, it's someone comfortable enough receiving the ball under a bit of pressure and picking a forward pass, rather than dallying and turning inside (something Long is guilty of too). I certainly wouldn't call Stevens or Long "attackers'. It's much quicker there than at centre back where you should really never get caught. I've not seen anything in Negru's game that says he can do that, and that's not a dig at him. He looks to be a good centre back but full back is a completely different proposition. I don't get the willingness of so many to play a centre back at full back. We had plenty of problems last season and among them was being unable to build attacks from the back with Brown and Long.

Agree that Leigh helps massively but that doesn't mean we need to hamstring ourself on the other side. Also is Leigh even likely to be fit tomorrow? He got subbed off limping but even ignoring that his game finished in the early hours of Wednesday morning in Canada, how many sessions will he have had with Buckingham?

Edit - just realized this is the strongest team thread rather than Cheltenham preview so the Leigh fitness is irrelevant. No way Negru at right back is the strongest lineup though.

Mills ahead of Browne for me is a no brainer

No brainer ? Really ? Browne has far more goals in him and as much creativity and threat as Mills does. I like both but to suggest one, Mills in this case, is way ahead is miles off the reality.

No brainer ? Really ? Browne has far more goals in him and as much creativity and threat as Mills does. I like both but to suggest one, Mills in this case, is way ahead is miles off the reality.
Personal opinion. Maybe I’m basing this a little on Browne’s performances last season where in my opinion he was way off his best. To be fair he started off this season really well playing on the right. I think Mills is going to be a fantastic player

I like Marcus Browne. I'm willing him on and always get excited whenever he appears in the starting line up.

However, both Kyle Edwards and Stan Mills have offered significantly more than Browne this season. Actually, they've both contributed more than Browne did last season.

I really really want Browne to come good, but the reality is that others have usurped him, whether through injury or poor form on his part - and I expect that trend to continue.

I like Marcus Browne. I'm willing him on and always get excited whenever he appears in the starting line up.

However, both Kyle Edwards and Stan Mills have offered significantly more than Browne this season. Actually, they've both contributed more than Browne did last season.

I really really want Browne to come good, but the reality is that others have usurped him, whether through injury or poor form on his part - and I expect that trend to continue.
I am the opposite of you, in that I have never been convinced by Browne - he had moments in games but was never consistent and often felt he was selfish.
At the start of this season I was starting to change my mind as seemed to be more end product and playing for the team. I do wonder with the competition he now has for his place we could see the best of him - even if it is as a sub.

My best xi would be at the moment - with biggest question mark over Mills.

Beadle
Stevens Moore Brown Leigh
Mills branagan mcguane Edwards
Rodrigues
Harris

I’m not sure it’s even form, he’s just so inconsistent. He has an irresistible impulse to either run into a thicket of defenders or welly the ball over the bar. However he was fantastic the last time we played Cheltenham.

It's not even another attacker, it's someone comfortable enough receiving the ball under a bit of pressure and picking a forward pass, rather than dallying and turning inside (something Long is guilty of too). I certainly wouldn't call Stevens or Long "attackers'. It's much quicker there than at centre back where you should really never get caught. I've not seen anything in Negru's game that says he can do that, and that's not a dig at him. He looks to be a good centre back but full back is a completely different proposition. I don't get the willingness of so many to play a centre back at full back. We had plenty of problems last season and among them was being unable to build attacks from the back with Brown and Long.

Agree that Leigh helps massively but that doesn't mean we need to hamstring ourself on the other side. Also is Leigh even likely to be fit tomorrow? He got subbed off limping but even ignoring that his game finished in the early hours of Wednesday morning in Canada, how many sessions will he have had with Buckingham?

Edit - just realized this is the strongest team thread rather than Cheltenham preview so the Leigh fitness is irrelevant. No way Negru at right back is the strongest lineup though.
Would this be better
Beadle.
Negru Moore Brown
Browne McGaune Brannagan Leigh
Rodrigues Harris Edwards

Last edited:
What is our strongest team if all the loan players get recalled in January? I guess it would include Eastwood, Long, Browne and Goodrham.

Marcus Browne was on a pretty strong run of form before he got injured and was looking almost unplayable at times - like when he won that penalty. Sadly, his style of play invites hard, late tackles and his body can’t seem to handle it.

Marcus Browne was on a pretty strong run of form before he got injured and was looking almost unplayable at times - like when he won that penalty. Sadly, his style of play invites hard, late tackles and his body can’t seem to handle it.
He does take hits but I think it’s mostly to do with his knee injury. It was absolutely dreadful - as bad as it can be without him having to retire. I’m still not convinced he won’t end up being another Robbie Hall who doesn’t even make it to 30. Feels like the rest of his body is trying to compensate and everything is wearing away. A hamstring, a thigh, a calf - he’ll probably never be right for long periods before something goes pop.

If he can’t go the rest of the season without breaking down then I do wonder whether we might pass up the option and release him on a free in the summer.

For me Browne has a huge amount to prove. So often the final pass or shot is poor, which means a few breathtaking runs (with no end product) do little to make up for it.

Has been desperately unlucky with injury of course, but doesn't walk back into this team when fit and may even struggle to get opportunities off the bench when you consider Edwards, Goodrham, Bodin, Rodrigues, Mills, Murphy and arguably Perkins are competing for 2/3 spots alongside him.

The shame is that without his injuries, Browne could be a top Championship player ( in my view)
I remember the game we played at Sunderland ( first game of the season where we drew and really should have won)
He was the best player on the pitch. Sunderland resorted to pulling him down and fouling him at every opportunity- they just couldn't live with him.

Agree with Ryan though. His body just doesn't seem to be able to cope which is a really shame. Manning alluded to this in one if his interviews ( he is a teriffic player- if we can keep him on the pitch)

Back
Top Bottom