Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People get too hung up on a manager that 'seems' to have had success at a club, thinking 'as you do' that he has built this amazing team, then sold the players to bigger clubs and the board did not reinvest.

Look a bit deeper and you will realise that Russell Martin turned that team into one of the best teams in League 1 (an outstanding job), which Manning inherited. The following 12 months with Manning, saw a rapid decline, completely undoing RM's work and then was unable to find those quality players to replace the ones sold.

I do not want someone with this track record thank you.
He joined them on 13th August 2021, he oversaw a great season with them, whether they were martins players or not, he signed players like corbeanu & others who for most of the season absolutely tore teams apart. Okay they just failed but Appleton’s had failures since he left us. I don’t think their record is to dissimilar. Yet many would welcome appleton back with open arms.

He joined them on 13th August 2021, he oversaw a great season with them, whether they were martins players or not, he signed players like corbeanu & others who for most of the season absolutely tore teams apart. Okay they just failed but Appleton’s had failures since he left us. I don’t think their record is to dissimilar. Yet many would welcome appleton back with open arms.
Sorry, but when you have a winning solution it is very easy to carry on the good work. Maintaining that over 12 months would be not too difficult. The wheels came off 12 months later and was unable to rebuild. That is not successful......in fact it is the opposite.

He has not built anything and you would trust him now?

Appy has inherited a poor squad, been there and done it. There really is no contest between these 2.

Still time for an announcement this evening.
In the stands at Lincoln and the dug-out next Saturday.
I expect they’ll wait a few more days to hold follow-up interviews.

If we turn down the opportunity to appoint one of two league winning managers in favour of a coach whose best work was done under a DOF that we don't have and who left his team in dire straits, then I would be stunned.

Prob prefer Manning or McCann slightly ahead of Appleton, just like to see someone totally fresh in at the club. Warburton prob a little outdated maybe now?
Yeah I think age will go against him. I heard he was getting an interview the day before which is why I placed a tenner on. If I was confident he’d get the job I’d have lumped on more.

Manning is interesting, and he had a great set of players last season at MK. Darling, Twine, Parrott, and Corbenau. They brought in Holland ffs can’t stay fit as we know he’s fragile.

McCann did wonders at Doncaster on a pretty low budget. He had Herbie Kane and Marquis was firing, and Whiteman who left and went to Preston. He did great at Hull and got them up, and Peterborough was a fairly mediocre season.

Appleton know us, the club, and Faz is still here. He’s popular and he’s great contacts in the game. He can develop players, and he got us promoted in the past, and in our first season back in Lge 1 we just missed out on the playoffs. We played wonderful football under him, and I think we can all agree it was a joy to watch.

Mystery man maybe a surprise appointment will be made, but I honestly think the three above are all worthy of being in the OUFC hot seat.

Grant McCann now evens, I’d be happy with him or Apps. For some reason I still think Morison is in with a shout. No votes on the poll, so not sure how that would go down with us customers . Blues fan said he still lives in London, always commuted to Cardiff.
He lives in Northants - met him a couple of times, seems a decent bloke to be fair.

Neil Lennon now shortening up, maybe KR has stuck another tenner on someone we don’t want to create tension on here 😂

Have had further thoughts about mapp today. I think with him, he just fits oufc.
The players had no where to hide under him at our club, because essentially his team looked like some of our glorious teams of the past. He believed his way would work, the fans on the whole did too, even when results were not instant. The players followed and the recruitment made sense.
It was fun, entertaining, and success followed. I still remember thrashing millwall before he left. Their fans said basically it was as if Barcelona had rocked up at the den.
Not giving him the budget he wanted yrs ago was very odd indeed. Giving him the budget now would pay of for us imo and would make business and football sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom