New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

I had a conversation with someone very close to the project yesterday, who is extremely confident that it will get the go ahead. More than ever I look forward to shutting some of these "vinegary" people up once the stadium is built.

I had a very similar conversation with someone on Friday night and share your sentiments towards our 'friends'.

Some interesting objections that match word for word from two individuals in OX5 who are 'avid Oxford United fans' yet a quick Google search shows them to be serial objectors to any development around Kidlington. I have my suspicions about whether I've ever bumped into them on an away terrace........

Wow I've just been on cycle ride, & on Kidlington east side it is all Liberal democrats posters every where, a real visable presence.. Kidlington west is more Green party posters I haven seen a single Labour or Conservative placard or poster anywhere.the lib Dems look like they're going for it judging by their big orange placards outside their houses..

Some interesting objections that match word for word from two individuals in OX5 who are 'avid Oxford United fans' yet a quick Google search shows them to be serial objectors to any development around Kidlington. I have my suspicions about whether I've ever bumped into them on an away terrace........
Pretty sure we established that those "OUFC fans" were antis thinking saying that they supported the club would add weight to their argument?

I take the time to read through each batch of responses that appear on the planning portal. I skim read most of them, due to the sheer volume, but pay particular attention to those from OX5 and OX2, and to those objecting and there are a few things that I've noticed (about the objectors).

Their writing style is often so arrogant and pompous. They refer to us as thugs and louts (yes, these words have been used) and often refer to the unruly, and drunken, behaviour that they are so sure is going to happen. They call the club liars, and almost to a man (although the majority of objectors seem to be female) repeat the FOSB mantra that we can stay at The Kassam. They dismiss out of hand that fans will use the public transport network, claiming that there is no evidence, and obviously thinking that they know best.

There are too many inaccuracies to mention, but one that keeps popping up is that there will be 580 events a year, meaning 580 road closures. A few have even said that there will be 580 events of 16,000 people each time, and some have increased the stadium capacity to 18,000 or 19,000 to make it seem worse. They often mention intolerable noise from the concerts that they are sure will happen, even though the club have said they won't. There is frequent mention of the "foreign owners" and that they will obviously create a Kassam Stadium Mark II situation, and they often refer to us as a bankrupt football club that is going to leave a half finished shell of a stadium on the site. They keep referencing that all of our support is from East Oxford and that we don't belong in their area. Oh, and the way they refer to Kidligton as some quaint Cotswold village is laughable.

Overall, I find myself veering from apocalyptically angry to totally dispirited when reading their responses, and what they think of us. But my heart is lifted by the huge number of supportive comments on the portal, that far exceed these small minded NIMBYS.

I had a conversation with someone very close to the project yesterday, who is extremely confident that it will get the go ahead. More than ever I look forward to shutting some of these "vinegary" people up once the stadium is built.
I reckon that a year or so after the stadium opens, there will be very little anti sentiment at all in Kidlington. People will realise the positive contribution to the area.
I am waiting for members of the Green party to begin lauding the stadium due to how green it is .
I am not sure that a lot of OUFC supporters will forget McIvor, Middleton, Cant and Levy though

On football fans not being able to afford trains, a return from Oxford station to parkway costs £3.90, not even the cost of a pint. If you can’t afford that you are probably not going to be going to watch football, it’s an expensive hobby.

I take the time to read through each batch of responses that appear on the planning portal. I skim read most of them, due to the sheer volume, but pay particular attention to those from OX5 and OX2, and to those objecting and there are a few things that I've noticed (about the objectors).

Their writing style is often so arrogant and pompous. They refer to us as thugs and louts (yes, these words have been used) and often refer to the unruly, and drunken, behaviour that they are so sure is going to happen. They call the club liars, and almost to a man (although the majority of objectors seem to be female) repeat the FOSB mantra that we can stay at The Kassam. They dismiss out of hand that fans will use the public transport network, claiming that there is no evidence, and obviously thinking that they know best.

There are too many inaccuracies to mention, but one that keeps popping up is that there will be 580 events a year, meaning 580 road closures. A few have even said that there will be 580 events of 16,000 people each time, and some have increased the stadium capacity to 18,000 or 19,000 to make it seem worse. They often mention intolerable noise from the concerts that they are sure will happen, even though the club have said they won't. There is frequent mention of the "foreign owners" and that they will obviously create a Kassam Stadium Mark II situation, and they often refer to us as a bankrupt football club that is going to leave a half finished shell of a stadium on the site. They keep referencing that all of our support is from East Oxford and that we don't belong in their area. Oh, and the way they refer to Kidligton as some quaint Cotswold village is laughable.

Overall, I find myself veering from apocalyptically angry to totally dispirited when reading their responses, and what they think of us. But my heart is lifted by the huge number of supportive comments on the portal, that far exceed these small minded NIMBYS.

I'm not dispirited nor do I worry what they think.

They are largely small-minded, bigoted and often-times deeply unpleasant. From a societal point of view it's a bit worrying how many people like this actually exist and how much they are pandered to. That being said given a lot of the objections are a little bit stupid, so much so it likely favours the application!

😂😂
I've just arrived at the council estate ex council houses bit & it's a mixture of st George flags for st Georges day & Linda Ward green party posters .
Bizzare that she would be popular on that bit of Kidlington...

Victoria Campbell

West Kidlington

4h
Susan then why doesnt the City build it in South Parks if it wants/needs it's football club?

I had a very similar conversation with someone on Friday night and share your sentiments towards our 'friends'.
Well, you may have done. But I'm just going to advise some councillors that I've spotted a couple of Robins in my garden in Bedford. You have been warned.

I reckon that a year or so after the stadium opens, there will be very little anti sentiment at all in Kidlington. People will realise the positive contribution to the area.
I am waiting for members of the Green party to begin lauding the stadium due to how green it is .
I am not sure that a lot of OUFC supporters will forget McIvor, Middleton, Cant and Levy though
I wont- nor a few of the other prominent antis either

Yes, I've noticed that.

They also claim that we will be four or five to a car and not worry where we park as we'll then split the parking fine, which is apparently cheaper than paying to park at Pear Tree or Parkway. If that was the kind of behaviour that was normal for football fans, it would be common at The Kassam Stadium too, but it isn't.

It really is elitist snobbery of the most ignorant kind. The ironic thing is that when I look at the address of the person posting it, they often live on a Kidlington housing estate.
No way would a parking fine be less than parking at a P&R. Complete and utter bol*****ks

Back
Top Bottom