New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

That’s not true, I’m afraid.

Here is the relevant section:

The County Council cabinet has required OUFC, before the lease of the Triangle site is finally agreed, to produce detailed plans that include the following:
e) Develop new pedestrian and cycle entrances and routes to improve accessibility, including a new pedestrian route across the Oxford Road, such as a footbridge, that improves pedestrian and cyclist access to the site from Oxford Parkway railway station and the Park & Ride without disrupting vehicle movements on the Oxford Road.
We call on the County Council to stand by this position, and take steps to ensure that the plans for the stadium do not go ahead in their current form.

Robey wrote on behalf of the 4 councils to Liz Lefferman to clarify that OCC would be sticking to that position. She replied with an unequivocal ‘yes’

Unfortunately, as much as we want to believe otherwise, the current proposals, without a footbridge, do not meet the conditions set down by OCC.
Must admit I cannot recall that section and in particular the phrase about disrupting vehicle movements but there again there are so many documents out there now it's hard to recall what was said where.

Anyway, Google is your friend and the only hit I get on that passage is from the FoSB website, citing a letter from KPC Cllr Robey to OCC

Of course, I am not privy to any communication between OCC and KPC, so I cannot say whether that is a faithful repetition of Cllr Robey's letter - some might suggests the condition may have been "exaggerated" by persons unknown, who can say? What is interesting to note is that the passage you quote and the FoSB article both contain the misnaming of Cllr Liz Leffman as Lefferman. Now that in itself could be a simple typo but it does show that mistakes (or mistruths) can have significant impact once they are in the wild.

Helpfully, the article does also give detail of Cllr Leffman's unequivocal reply - "We stand by our original decision, and we will not support any proposal that includes the closure of the road on match days". I see that as the council clearly distancing themselves from the original statement by referencing closure when the club are no longer advocating such things and the council would be fully aware of that at the time of reply. Now to me, that looks like OCC putting themselves in a position where they can both sign the lease and not be seen as going back on their word.

Must admit I cannot recall that section and in particular the phrase about disrupting vehicle movements but there again there are so many documents out there now it's hard to recall what was said where.

Anyway, Google is your friend and the only hit I get on that passage is from the FoSB website, citing a letter from KPC Cllr Robey to OCC

Of course, I am not privy to any communication between OCC and KPC, so I cannot say whether that is a faithful repetition of Cllr Robey's letter - some might suggests the condition may have been "exaggerated" by persons unknown, who can say? What is interesting to note is that the passage you quote and the FoSB article both contain the misnaming of Cllr Liz Leffman as Lefferman. Now that in itself could be a simple typo but it does show that mistakes (or mistruths) can have significant impact once they are in the wild.

Helpfully, the article does also give detail of Cllr Leffman's unequivocal reply - "We stand by our original decision, and we will not support any proposal that includes the closure of the road on match days". I see that as the council clearly distancing themselves from the original statement by referencing closure when the club are no longer advocating such things and the council would be fully aware of that at the time of reply. Now to me, that looks like OCC putting themselves in a position where they can both sign the lease and not be seen as going back on their word.
Yep, it's always best not to cut and paste directly from FoSB articles.

FoSB putting in one or two extra words could change things entirely.

Can we see the conditions set out by OCC but without taking it from those lot

Yep, it's always best not to cut and paste directly from FoSB articles.

FoSB putting in one or two extra words could change things entirely.

Can we see the conditions set out by OCC but without taking it from those lot

The decision​

At its meeting on 19 September 2023, the council’s Cabinet approved in principle the leasing of land at the ‘Triangle’ to the football club to develop a new stadium.

The leasehold comes with several conditions:

• The club must be given planning permission by Cherwell District Council.
  • The club must produce a net-zero plan that is fully costed and comes with clear timescales and outcomes from design, construction and full operation of the stadium.
  • The club must provide details of how it will meet the commitments made in its submissions to the county council so far.
  • Restrictive covenants will be put in place that will set aside the use of the land for football/community sports and leisure/sports stadia for the term of the lease, with limited commercial activities permitted only within the stadium footprint.

I can’t find a copy of the letter from OCC to OUFC setting out the conditions for the lease on the OCC website, but a PDF of it is available on KPC’s website:

It also has an attached appendix, which is actually the part that contains the clause about not disrupting the traffic (Strategic Priority 4, section E.

Last edited:
My first thought was the club was putting this out there in an attempt to get it in the front of people's minds with an eye on the upcoming local elections.
I read it similarly, although I would be very surprised if any OUFC fans with half an idea of what's been happening with The Triangle would vote for the Lib Dems or Greens

Yes that's stratfield farm planning permission approved
I've always said that is the beginning of the end for stratfield brake that development will slowly creep further this why those against the stadium should back it because the stadium stops anymore development on stratfield brake
This the first I've heard about this land deal and checked exactly where the land in question is. You can see why those with fingers in property develop pies don't want the stadium. They're terrified it will affect their investments/profits. It all goes back to why 'certain' people are anti-stadium and the real reasons they don't want it. It's got zero to do with the protection of Stratfield Brake.

Last edited:
This the first I've heard about this land deal and checked exactly where the land in question is. You can see why those with fingers in property develop pies don't want the stadium. They're terrified it will effect their investments/profits. It all goes back to why 'certain' people are anti-stadium and the real reasons they don't want it. It's got zero to do with the protection of Stratfield Brake.
If any of that is true, I hope that it is exposed.
Enough oufc supporters seem to have a good understanding of what is going on and will help expose these people if true ( together with KPC who will have been complicit)

Back
Top Bottom