Manager/Coach Mark Thomas to Derby

So the head of the Academy (Dan Harris ) and the head of recruitment (MarkThomas) both leave after 4 and 5 years service in their respective roles, both within 6 months of each other.

I wonder if there is a connection as to why they both chose to leave?

Yes.

And thus their position is reinforced by the departure of others..................

So the head of the Academy (Dan Harris ) and the head of recruitment (MarkThomas) both leave after 4 and 5 years service in their respective roles, both within 6 months of each other.

I wonder if there is a connection as to why they both chose to leave?

Now it looks like John Mousiniho would much rather be somewhere else….

To lose one may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness, to lose three….

To lose one may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness, to lose three….

Because Mous would turn down a progression in his career to be Head Coach if another manager was in charge........

Are you suggesting that anybody in Mous's position at any club in the Country wouldn't take the Pompey managers role?
Ditto Thomas.
Players and staff getting big promotions is hardly a Stick to beat the club with

If I were Mousinho I'd take a job with a smaller club for a few years to get the experience.
Who wants 20,000 Pompey fans on your back from day 1?
Andy Whing will move on from Banbury one day with a good few years under his belt.
Even the great Chris Wilder started at the bottom with Alfreton and Halifax.

If I were Mousinho I'd take a job with a smaller club for a few years to get the experience.
Who wants 20,000 Pompey fans on your back from day 1?
Andy Whing will move on from Banbury one day with a good few years under his belt.
Even the great Chris Wilder started at the bottom with Alfreton and Halifax.
I thought Mous was a shoo-in for the Burton job a couple of months ago

Are you suggesting that anybody in Mous's position at any club in the Country wouldn't take the Pompey managers role?
Ditto Thomas.
Can’t comment on Mousinho but Mark Thomas turned down the same job at Portsmouth as he’s taken at Derby less than a year ago, and he only lives 45 minutes from there rather than needing to relocate. And there’s still a very large Dan Harris shaped shadow hanging over the Academy situation, where he suddenly quit without having another job lined up and then we took four months to replace him. That is a situation that I happen to know an awful lot about, as it happens.

The club needs to strengthen immediately. The coaching staff has been scaled back multiple times over the last few years and we need a new recruitment head. We’re in a position where things are becoming even more dependant than they already were on a manager who many people are sick of, and who himself would leave today if he could actually get another job. The last thing we would need in our position is another Faz situation from 2018, only with Craig Short or even Leon Blackmore-Such in his place.

The board need to sort the structure out immediately. They chose to stick rather than twist months ago, but if Mousinho is confirmed as Portsmouth boss then that isn’t an option.

And there’s still a very large Dan Harris shaped shadow hanging over the Academy situation, where he suddenly quit without having another job lined up and then we took four months to replace him. That is a situation that I happen to know an awful lot about, as it happens.

The club needs to strengthen immediately. The coaching staff has been scaled back multiple times over the last few years and we need a new recruitment head.
With regard to the Academy it appears from the outside that the club has recruited well in replacing Harris? I guess that time will tell but Kinninburgh seems to have been well thought of in Scotland at youth level?

Agree on the rest. A new recruitment head is needed. Was it Tim Williams who was saying that there are a few key appointments to be made? I would think that the Board are seriously looking at the whole structure. Hopefully the whole recruitment department/ set up is bring thoroughly reviewed and there will be appointments soon

With regard to the Academy it appears from the outside that the club has recruited well in replacing Harris? I guess that time will tell but Kinninburgh seems to have been well thought of in Scotland at youth level?

Agree on the rest. A new recruitment head is needed. Was it Tim Williams who was saying that there are a few key appointments to be made? I would think that the Board are seriously looking at the whole structure. Hopefully the whole recruitment department/ set up is bring thoroughly reviewed and there will be appointments soon

Kinniburgh is a very good replacement but Dan Harris was doing a fantastic job & it should’ve never came to replacing him.

Unfortunately he felt like Karl was ruining the pathway for a lot of our youngsters by bringing in Fowler & his academy linked in to giving numerous players trials both as youth team players & first year pros.

There’s been at least 4 examples I know of in the last year, probably more I’m not aware of.

It’s not right.

That’s a separate issue. We’re talking about why it happened in the first place, and how it might relate to other changes occurring in recent months. Cleaning up a mess doesn’t mean that why and how it came to exist in the first place doesn’t matter.

Let’s just hope that there’s a plan in place to get a shift on ASAP. We are nowhere near comfortable enough to be able to run through another 20+ games with a threadbare structure. The two month window of January - March 2018 should remind people what happens when a club isn’t on secure footing and suddenly finds itself rudderless.

A bit of a stab in the dark if you ask me...or are we assuming that he didn't learn a load of old codswallop under/with Karl! Suppose he could be a revelation vis à vis Michael Carrick

Kinniburgh is a very good replacement but Dan Harris was doing a fantastic job & it should’ve never came to replacing him.

Unfortunately he felt like Karl was ruining the pathway for a lot of our youngsters by bringing in Fowler & his academy linked in to giving numerous players trials both as youth team players & first year pros.

There’s been at least 4 examples I know of in the last year, probably more I’m not aware of.

It’s not right.

Genuine question: why is it a problem that we have young players on trial regardless of where they come from?

After all, no doubt we have other players on trial or signed from outside the existing Academy players for the Youth team. We signed a right full back after his release from Spurs, Ben Watt, for the youth team not that long ago. Plenty of our youth players have come from other clubs as they mention in their interviews when they're announced.

Last edited:
Genuine question: why is it a problem that we have young players on trial regardless of where they come from?

After all, no doubt we other players on trial or signed from outside the existing Academy players for the Youth team. We signed a right full back after his release from Spurs, Ben Watts, for the youth team not that long ago. Plenty of our youth players have come from other clubs as they mention in their interviews when they're announced.

Because when other players become dismissed* because they aren’t tied to a certain party, it is of no benefit to the football club.

Players of poorer quality are given chances & even contracts in some cases when there is far better available if KR/Robbie listened to people around them. (Thomas/Harris)

That’s not how a club aiming to be top 30 should be operating.

*dismissed when Harris thinks they’re worthy of staying by the way.

@Marked Ox - There is a player who is part of the first team now that is only here because DH fought ridiculously hard to keep him when other individuals would’ve moved him on permanently from the club.

Because when other players become dismissed* because they aren’t tied to a certain party, it is of no benefit to the football club.

Players of poorer quality are given chances & even contracts in some cases when there is far better available if KR/Robbie listened to people around them. (Thomas/Harris)

That’s not how a club aiming to be top 30 should be operating.

*dismissed when Harris thinks they’re worthy of staying by the way.

So are you claiming all those 1st year Youth players we pick up from other Academies are tied to a certain party?

So are you claiming all those 1st year Youth players we pick up from other Academies are tied to a certain party?

No.

I’m claiming some good potential players will miss out on deserved opportunities for far far poorer players because people are getting involved in an area with massive agendas.

Make no mistake about it, if the club was run more professional in that area, Dan Harris would still be here now.

Back
Top Bottom