Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Malcolm Allison, Raglan overcoat with Fedora.
This would definitely be in Des' wardrobe but I think he'd save it for nights out at that new wine bar on the high street before heading over to hear some beat poetry in North Oxford with Mrs Buckingham. After a few drinks he'd head up to the open mike and do a witty haiku about Ruben Rodriguez.

Don’t make me tap the Tisdale sign…

View attachment 16793

I, for one, shall be devastated if he doesn't walk out wearing one of these beauties and doff it as the opponents come out:

That will give us the advantage over the opponents.

I, for one, shall be devastated if he doesn't walk out wearing one of these beauties and doff it as the opponents come out:

That will give us the advantage over the opponents.
It would be so on brand for Oxford (or people’s perception of the city at least).

If he DOESN’T wear a cravat at his unveiling, I’ll be calling for him to be sacked immediately.

We should be thankful that the owners have got such prodigiously deep pockets. Quick work management, well done.

Looks like an exciting appointment but bet it’s cost a lot.

Cue soulful soft focuses of Des amidst cut away shots of Port Meadow, dreaming spires, BMW , St Giles Fair and Peters and Lee crooning in the background. Chris Williams fixing up the location shot as we speak.

Seems you can buy these moments.

COYY
But you thought it wouldn’t happen!!

What is that opinion based on though? That's not me having a dig, I just don't understand the thinking behind it. Who would make a quicker start

Yeah sure. I’ve been following football for well over 30 years and have an interest in other teams as well as Oxford and I just personally think and have seen managers who have recent familiar experience with English league footy at the same level as opposed to international experience logically have a shorter adjustment period to make and given the league position it’s massively important to capitalise on that. I’m not saying Des wouldn’t be good long term appointment but I believe Crofts, Williams, Eustace etc. could hit the ground running and have more chance getting us over the line for promotion. I hope I’m completely wrong as all I want is for us to get out of this league and kick on. I was fairly happy when Manning was appointed cos he knew the league pretty much inside out but someone coming from a completely different level will nearly always have the transition to make. I remember the Pep Clotet and Diaz appointments and although that’s not exactly the same of course it feels like it’s an unnecessary risk. Having said all that I’ll support him to the hilt and couldn’t be more happy if he does churn out wins and keep us in the promotion places.

Yeah sure. I’ve been following football for well over 30 years and have an interest in other teams as well as Oxford and I just personally think and have seen managers who have recent familiar experience with English league footy at the same level as opposed to international experience logically have a shorter adjustment period to make and given the league position it’s massively important to capitalise on that. I’m not saying Des wouldn’t be good long term appointment but I believe Crofts, Williams, Eustace etc. could hit the ground running and have more chance getting us over the line for promotion. I hope I’m completely wrong as all I want is for us to get out of this league and kick on. I was fairly happy when Manning was appointed cos he knew the league pretty much inside out but someone coming from a completely different level will nearly always have the transition to make. I remember the Pep Clotet and Diaz appointments and although that’s not exactly the same of course it feels like it’s an unnecessary risk. Having said all that I’ll support him to the hilt and couldn’t be more happy if he does churn out wins and keep us in the promotion places.

Quite a big difference in Clotet and especially Diaz to Buckingham, might take Des a while to get used to the silly new road system but I am sure he can remember his way around his home town.

He has coached at this very club, it’s a bit strange to make out that he has zero knowledge of English football when he was here well into his twenties, it’s not going to be alien to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom