Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Bristol City in the cup is in the Coventry cup game category.

Both shocking performances but I’m not majorly fussed about losing away to Championship clubs.
But for me, losing those games in the manner we did plus the scorelines shows how far we are behind. To compete at that level we'd need over half a team better than we've got and most likely a manager more experienced at that level.

Bristol Rovers (Away - Buckingham) - one of the worst performances I've seen, and definitely the worst away performance I've ever seen. We were awful for about 80 minutes with only Burey offering a glimpse of hope. It felt like the wheels were never even on.

It was really, really bad. But if it was the worst away performance you've ever seen, you're really lucky! Because sadly many, many worse efforts come to mind:

The TV game at Cambridge in Appleton's first year; the Histon debacle; Sunderland in '98; Yeovil under Rix; the circus at Rovers (again) under Kemp; Jim Smith's tragic last game at Rushden........

And I'm only remembering games since I started watching in the early 90s.

A 3-1 defeat in a terrible game against Rovers is run-of-the-mill compared to all of those utter disasters!

It was really, really bad. But if it was the worst away performance you've ever seen, you're really lucky! Because sadly many, many worse efforts come to mind:

The TV game at Cambridge in Appleton's first year; the Histon debacle; Sunderland in '98; Yeovil under Rix; the circus at Rovers (again) under Kemp; Jim Smith's tragic last game at Rushden........

A 3-1 defeat in a terrible game against Rovers is run-of-the-mill compared to all of those utter disasters!
Darlington away in Atkin’s era, Droylsden and Barrow away in the conference, battered by Birmingham 7-1 at the Manor, I think we could all list at least 10 games that we have watched that have been worst than what we have seen at any point this season.

In his 15 games in charge this season I only came away fuming at the lack of plan & result in 2 games.

Cambridge away & Wigan away. Those 2 performances had massive similarities to the games I’ve seen the last 3/4 months.
Really?

I’ve not been to many games this season so far, but the game at home to Derby was devastating, violating and showed exactly what we are as a team. It was made worse by my proximity to a brilliant away support in the north stand.

Capitulation doesn’t even come close to what happened that evening.

I was at Marlow. My brother was a Marlow player at the time as well (thankfully suspended for the game)

I was also at THAT Southend game as well, bloody Ricky Otto...

Tonbridge Angels anyone?

And I remember an away game at Notts County, late 90's/early 00's where we were utter dog s**t but still managed a 1-0 win due to a backpass that bobbled and went under the County keepers foot....right in front of the Oxford fans too🤣

Last edited:
Lowest point was losing away to Lewes 2-1 in conference (oufc fan living in Brighton I received plenty of stick!)🤦‍♂️

Oxford 0 Wigan 7. Only thing that cheered me up was the look of sheer terror of Tiendalli's face whenever any Wigan player ran at him.

Really?

I’ve not been to many games this season so far, but the game at home to Derby was devastating, violating and showed exactly what we are as a team. It was made worse by my proximity to a brilliant away support in the north stand.

Capitulation doesn’t even come close to what happened that evening.

Dramatic delivery, but yeah.

If we're talking fairly recent trauma I found this one really tough: Shite

What is clear is that there are many many worse performances than what we have witnessed this season.
Wigan for me was the worst this season but nothing compared to some of the dross we have had to witness over the years.

Yeah...vague memories of them having four goals disallowed in the first half.

One of the few times I’ve lost my s**t on the team. I was south stand upper but close enough to the tunnel and found myself in an uncontrollable frenzy of anger .

Having listened to my insights they returned second half and played a rinse and repeat.

There’s a wage increase and there’s a 10 grand a week increase or out it another way £40-45,000 a month. That’s life changing. From £180k to £250k I’d get it that there’s a decision to be made for a relatively young coach regarding the bigger picture - yes, a wage increase but you need to factor in other stuff. 10 grand a week, you aren’t really too bothered about anything - it’s an opportunity you don’t turn down, simple as that.

If you pulled your head out of your a**e for one moment and really thought about it, you would realise that it is not actually that simple, unless your sole objective is greed.

If Manning truly believed in himself and his ability to get us promoted he could have had a promotion to the Championship on his CV in a matter of months.

His stock would have improved further and his options/earning capacity would have become much wider and more lucrative.

Sometimes it’s about seeing the bigger picture and playing the longer, more measured, game.

If you truly believe that Manning was the man to take us up, I suspect that in the longer run even you would have to agree that his decision to leave in the manner that he did will probably have cost him financially.

However, I suspect your love for him makes you too blind to see it, or perhaps you are just thick.

If you pulled your head out of your a**e for one moment and really thought about it, you would realise that it is not actually that simple, unless your sole objective is greed.

If Manning truly believed in himself and his ability to get us promoted he could have had a promotion to the Championship on his CV in a matter of months.

His stock would have improved further and his options/earning capacity would have become much wider and more lucrative.

Sometimes it’s about seeing the bigger picture and playing the longer, more measured, game.

If you truly believe that Manning was the man to take us up, I suspect that in the longer run even you would have to agree that his decision to leave in the manner that he did will probably have cost him financially.

However, I suspect your love for him makes you too blind to see it, or perhaps you are just thick.
Ignoring your first and last paragraph, which are really poor, your argument doesn’t really check out.

Tell me all the “wider and more lucrative” opportunities that people have had based solely on a L1 promotion?

Of the three who went up last year, one is at the same club, one moved to Huddersfield (and is now already at Port Vale) and one is at Stoke.

The year before, one moved to Stoke and is now unemployed. One is back in L1. One got the Rotherham job.

None of the past six managers to win promotion have been offered a better job than Bristol City in 11th place.

Sure, McKenna has benefitted overall, but telling Manning he should have just taken us to second in the Championship if he was any good is a bit silly.

What you’re arguing is that Manning should have gambled on taking us up and - odds on - been offered a worse job than Bristol City, so that he might be in prime position to land the coveted Port Vale job if that went tits up.

Last edited:
Manning and Buckingham are going through similar situations at both clubs at the moment.
In our case yesterday back to same old laboured non structured play, with the odd bit of individual brilliance.
The week previously against a former teammate and captain.
A committed team, not a team of 11 players looking after themselves,
Manning is struggling to get results most league games, but when on tv whether cup or league. A different team.

Darlington away in Atkin’s era, Droylsden and Barrow away in the conference, battered by Birmingham 7-1 at the Manor, I think we could all list at least 10 games that we have watched that have been worst than what we have seen at any point this season.
Yes Droylsdon, that was shockingly, atrociously, very, very bad. Losing 1-3 at Droylsdon were bottom of table, hadn't won in 10 or something and and I'm sure we played with about 5 centre halfs.

Back
Top Bottom