Fan's View Journo from 'The Football Pink' looking for MCF86 recollections

Trevor L

Gabriel Stewart from The Football Pink https://footballpink.net/ has emailed OxVox asking for fans' recollections around 1986. I said I would 'put the word out' - if anyone wants to respond, feel free - but please reply direct to him, not to me!!

GABEYSTEWART1@HOTMAIL.COM should find him.

Here's our email exchange (read it from the bottom up):

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the reply! That’s great to hear, yes I’m essentially trying to gain a general collection of fans views and memories of the time to paint the success from a fans perspective?

There isn’t a strict deadline at the moment, I’d prefer to get a few different perspectives than hastily do it, but ideally in the next week or so? I’ve essentially got a list of general questions which would be great to have answered by those who were at the game / regular attenders of games in those mid-80’s glory years? I’ve attached a document with them in and will also post them below. That would be amazing if you could get the word out, I’d be happy to collect both written responses to the questions and some over the phone. My number is 07586249248 for those who’d rather do it over the phone.

Questions:

How would you describe being a U’s fan in the 1980’s? From the brink of closure in the Third Division in 1982 to a First Division side in 1985? A rollercoaster ride?

Are there any games in particular, aside from the Milk Cup success, that stick out in the memory during those mid-80s glory years? Could you describe the general atmosphere, whether at the Manor Ground or not?

Did you attend any games on the Milk Cup run? If yes, do you have any stories or tales from the time (whatever they are, I’m keen to hear them)?

Were you at the final? If so, what was that like? How was the game and the atmosphere throughout? Especially when that final whistle blew?

What were the celebrations like afterwards, both at Wembley and back home in Oxford? Again, please provide any unique or funny tales, whatever they are. I’m keen to get a good picture from the fans perspective.

How was it facing Jim Smith, as QPR manager, in the final after he’d guided the team to the First Division only a year earlier?

What was it like travelling across the country to face the giants of Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United etc week in week out?

How do you see the club now? Back on the upward trend?

Best,
Gabriel

Sent: 08 September 2021 11:29
To: GABEYSTEWART1@HOTMAIL.COM
Subject: Football Pink / Milk Cup 1986

Dear Gabriel

Thanks for your email.
There are a good number of us who were at Wembley on 20 April 1986 for Oxford United's finest day.
There have been a number of accounts published over the years but it's always good to get fans' recollections together and collect the oral history so I applaud your efforts!
Can I ask what's your timescale on this? - and what would you want fans to do?
If we knew a little more we could no doubt 'put the word out'.

Best regards

Trev
OxVox

Your email:

Hi, I'm a journalist for The Football Pink and am currently interested in writing a piece about Oxford Utd's rise to Division 1 and their League Cup triumph in the 1980s. The reason for getting in contact is that I'd love to speak to any fans from the time about their experiences of following the U's in this period, especially those that attended the League Cup final at Wembley. It would be amazing to hear first-hand tales directly from fans mouths so, I hoped you might be able to put me in contact with a few? Kind Regards, Gabriel Stewart

Back
Top Bottom