General Getting to Reading by Train

i can't really see what all the fuss is all about,
We've played Reading loads of times .
on a Saturday & mid week games, it's only bloody half an hour away.. Loads of choices, get off at Reading main station ,have a drink in the Town centre & onwards. Get off at Tilehurst ,have abeer & onwards. Get off at Reading west , & have a drink on the good old Oxford Road. Where the old Elm Park Ground was , & onwards Or the new Green Park Station, just by the stadium..
As for Car, you can come in at every angle from Oxfordshire. It can't be as bad as going there like we did in a mid week Simod Cup match.....😉

i can't really see what all the fuss is all about,
We've played Reading loads of times .
on a Saturday & mid week games, it's only bloody half an hour away.. Loads of choices, get off at Reading main station ,have a drink in the Town centre & onwards. Get off at Tilehurst ,have abeer & onwards. Get off at Reading west , & have a drink on the good old Oxford Road. Where the old Elm Park Ground was , & onwards Or the new Green Park Station, just by the stadium..
As for Car, you can come in at every angle from Oxfordshire. It can't be as bad as going there like we did in a mid week Simod Cup match.....😉

Used to enjoy Swindon on a Tuesday night, but the one thing they have going for them over us and Reading is the that the ground is still in town, the only real difference between the Kassam and Select car stadium is one is finished, both got stupid names and are in s**t locations. The only thing people really need to be aware of is that there is no point getting to the area around the ground early, unless you like Nandos (I do actually) its basically a big industrial estate with very little to do there, find somewhere else to drink.

Used to enjoy Swindon on a Tuesday night, but the one thing they have going for them over us and Reading is the that the ground is still in town, the only real difference between the Kassam and Select car stadium is one is finished, both got stupid names and are in s**t locations. The only thing people really need to be aware of is that there is no point getting to the area around the ground early, unless you like Nandos (I do actually) its basically a big industrial estate with very little to do there, find somewhere else to drink.
Yes that's why , it's best for me personally the Town centre ,or Oxford road. Can't stand industrial estate stadiums..

Getting train down from Derby for mid-afternoon.
Staying on Oxford Road, so will probably drink in the area.

I'm sure TVP may seek to try and control fans arriving through the main station in the couple of hours prior to kick-off.
Hopefully not by walking us to the ground given it must be an hour from the station!

@OUSP Secretary Is there a guide to Reading away by train?
Looking at the football ground guide, it seems to suggest that a few of the town centre pubs let away fans in. Three Guineas, possibly the Oakford Social Club.
Then bus from the main entrance of the station to the ground / or taxi / or three mile walk.
Does anyone know if the new Reading Green Park is a practical option?

Looking at the football ground guide, it seems to suggest that a few of the town centre pubs let away fans in. Three Guineas, possibly the Oakford Social Club.
Then bus from the main entrance of the station to the ground / or taxi / or three mile walk.

15 minute walk from the new station to the ground so doable for most.

15 minute walk from the new station to the ground so doable for most.
Yes I know in theory. Is it practical though, will we be held back after the match / will hundreds of home fans be using it etc / how many carriages etc?

Yes I know in theory. Is it practical though, will we be held back after the match / will hundreds of home fans be using it etc / how many carriages etc?

There are three trains after 10.30pm going back into Reading that will get people there in time to get an onward train, can't see all 3 being chock a block so its doable if you don't mind a bit of a late night. There will be more Oxford on the ones back into Reading than Reading fans.

Even if held back, should still make the 22.32 train if a reasonably fast walker.

Yes, home fans will be using it. I expect the 22.32 will be very crowded, but mainly with Oxford fans.

It's almost certain the train will have 3 carriages unless something unusual happens.

I know some away fans drink in Wokingham beforehand, which is a decent small town for drinking with a lot of pubs within walking distance of each other, but its the wrong side Of Reading for Oxfordshire based fans and with it being a night game you will get caught up in the work traffic. The town centre has plenty of pubs, as do a couple of other areas, all of which would be decent options for a Saturday game but the change of date has made the fixture a bit s**t for what you do around it, you might be best hitting a viillage pub on the way there and just parking near the ground after that, especially as TVP will be wanting to be seen to earn that xmas overtime.

As an example if I get the train there and back and TVP hold us back I wont get home until about 12.15am, I live 12 miles away and it used to take just under 20 minutes in the morning to pass that ground, driving back from the Kassam after a night game gets me in at 11.15pm despite the fact its 35 miles further away.
There’s a decent little pub right next to Wokingham train station tbf. Has an outside area & is pretty nice, literally opposite the station.

A way I was thinking of doing it was to drive to Cholsey, park the car in the village and get the train to Reading from there (15min journey).

Coming back there is a train at 10:47 straight back to Cholsey and then I'd have 35 min drive home (West Oxfordshire).

I thought this route after the game would avoid congestion/potential hold ups on the trains? 🤔

There’s a decent little pub right next to Wokingham train station tbf. Has an outside area & is pretty nice, literally opposite the station.

Used to drive past it on my way home from work. Wokingham has a fair few pubs that are pretty much walkable, bit like Abingdon town centre, in fact I would describe it as the Abindon to Didcots Bracknell as they are both nearby and one has the shops and the other has the pubs,

Where do you need to get back to afterwards? Oxford is easy as there are plenty of rains back from Reading, if its somewhere else you will have to say and maybe people can help you?

I'll contact my counterpart on the Reading Supporters Trust and see what I can find out for you

Where do you need to get back to afterwards? Oxford is easy as there are plenty of rains back from Reading, if its somewhere else you will have to say and maybe people can help you?
Just getting back to Guildford. There are direct trains at 22:34 and 23:34, which should give plenty of time for the second one, but I don't want to get messed around at the new station and miss that last train.

I'll contact my counterpart on the Reading Supporters Trust and see what I can find out for you
Also the football special bus times and prices there and back if possible from the main station please!

Just getting back to Guildford. There are direct trains at 22:34 and 23:34, which should give plenty of time for the second one, but I don't want to get messed around at the new station and miss that last train.

I am on the same train back but get off at Blackwater (missus thinks I am mental to be getting home from Reading at about 12.20am from all of 12 miles from our house), we ain't got a hope of making the 22.34 but will easily make the one an hour later, probably be waiting around at the station for it for a fair bit.

As mentioned earlier, the monks retreat normally gets used by the away fans in Reading.

Okay here's my advice: if let out of ground on time (around 10pm) go for a bus into town because then you'd have a chance of making the 22.34 train from Reading to Guildford.

If held back or bus queue is massive, walk to Green Park. There's a 22.33 train to Basingstoke which will definitely not be full. Changing at Basingstoke and Woking would get you back to Guildford station slightly earlier than the 23.34 train from Reading would do. There's also a slim chance of making a 1 minute connection at Woking.

Also the football special bus times and prices there and back if possible from the main station please!
This is what I've had back:

The trains from Green Park are small (and infrequent) and it’s a healthy walk to get there. So for your fans heading back to Oxford I would probably recommend getting the shuttle bus (the F1) from the stadium back to Reading station (even if there is a lengthy queue). For your fans coming up from the south, then Green Park may work better.

The Three Guineas pub at Reading Station seems to be the away pub of choice. Or the “World Turned Upside Down” on the old Basingstoke Road nearer (but still quite some way) from the stadium seems to be ok for “sensible” (sorry) away fans.

Back
Top Bottom