Matches Further Train Strikes to Impact Fixtures

captainox

RMT announced 4 more sets of 48hour strikes on the railways, impacting train managers/conductors/platform staff as well as Network Rail signalling/maintenance staff.
On other strike days of this type - services have only run between 0730-1830. (that's all journey's completed by 1830)

Two pretty noteworthy games for us fall on the Saturday's that they have picked.

Saturday 17th December - Sheffield Wednesday Away
Saturday 7th January - Wycombe Wanderers Away or FA Cup 3rd Round

More strikes announced affecting another fixture

Morecambe away (18th March)
Peterborough away (1st April)

Edited to reflect cancellation of 1st April

Last edited:
Latest dates are 20, 22 and 29 July. Going forward there is a move to more Saturdays like this

And they are over......
Sort of...

At this point, it is only a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), which sets out a process for a mutually agreed way forward, including a backdate 2022 pay rise and job security guarantees until the end of 2024.

RMT will put this to their members at each of the Train Operating Companies (TOCs) in a referendum style vote - this is at local level, not national.

If a TOC accepts, then the MOU will terminate the RMT's dispute mandate, making Christmas and early Spring safe from industrial action. It will then allow discussions & negotiations on proposed reforms to take place.
There's no guarantee that all TOCs will accept, and therefore in principle you could end up with some TOCs still holding a mandate to strike.

This has all come off the back of the industry change initiative around ticket office closures being shelved. Though the government still expect TOCs to find a way to make big cost savings, so I expect there will be altered versions to come, and focus on other areas as well.

The news today is effectively saying "here's half your pay rise for no reform, and we'll discuss the rest a bit later"
Kicking the can down the road really, as the 2023 pay award is late in terms of being discussed, so this is basically palming it off to whoever wins the next election to take the flak.

Nothing from the driver's union yet.

Last edited:
Yhere’s also compulsary redundancies being taken off the table. ASLEF will follow RMT

I was halfway through saying the same thing, but captainox beat me to it!

Very glad Cheltenham isn't under threat as I have no other way of getting there from my direction. Sods law ASLEF will announce a strike now, but hopefully as there's movement they will wait and see what they're offered first...

Back
Top Bottom