Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - no.43 - Ipswich at home

Thanks Paul for another good read.
I agree with you regarding Baldock and Marcus.
The absence of our January reinforcements could be the difference .

Thanks Paul
Marcus Mcguane - mmm? His huge potential is there for everyone to see but by gum at times he seems oblivious to his defensive duties as a midfielder. In critical moments he lacks that determination to win the ball, concentration, awareness, effort or something. I feel he could have done more in the build up to goals we conceded against Doncaster, Bolton (their 3rd winning goal) and yesterday. That is in addition to once or twice at Crewe where he seemed to drift around. This is after he has come on as sub and should be full of energy and aggression.

Thank you, Paul
I felt RadOx yesterday was rather swept away by the emotion of the equaliser, and I hope KR asks himself the hard question that everyone on the radio avoided: why were we so poor in the second half? I think you correctly identify some of the reasons - an Ipswich side full of good technical footballers, some naivety, especially from Ryan Williams (although he does really try!) and some below-par performances (McGuane, Sykes, Taylor). I would add when we were under the cosh, there was no out-ball or even 'out plan'. I would hope that coaching can address this, because punts up field that gave the ball back to them were obviously not the answer.

I also thought Sam Morsy (who is a very good player at this level) also made a difference, in part because the referee let him get away with some naughty challenges.

Nice report Paul.

I am one of those who didn't mind the ref being happy to ignore much of the niggly fouls in the first half. They ae annoying but I would rather see a game like that than a stop-start affair. My problem with him was that as the game went on, he increasingly decided that things he hadn't blown for before were now fouls. It's inconsistency that I can't stand in a ref.

I thought we started the game pretty brightly and were certainly the best team in the first half of the first half but then tailed off alarmingly. The second half was awful. What were those long balls being punted up the field for? We didn't benefit from a single one of them but kept doing it! We are best when we keep the ball on the floor and move it about, preferably at speed. The chances of our small forwards winning (and being able to do anything with) a ball in the air when being defended by a couple of large centre backs was vanishingly small. The class of Burns really showed up Williams (all game) as not being a wing back. Ipswich didn't have to create space - it was there waiting for them to exploit. The same will be true of the Plymouths, Sunderlands and MKDons of this world as well - we can't go into those games and try t play like that. Any manager (in fact anybody) will have identified that particular weakness. The equaliser (while of course very very welcome) to come degree hid the fact that was a match we deserved to lose.

What concerns me slightly is that we were poor at Shrewsbury and now against Ipswich. I hope the fact that we somehow managed to get 4 points from those two games doesn't persuade KR to persist with the formation. It's OK against the weaker teams, but pretty feeble against the better ones. It's OK to say that 'we'll score more goals than you' but if you aren't making chances (the last hour or so on Saturday) that simply doesn't work.

Nice report Paul.

I am one of those who didn't mind the ref being happy to ignore much of the niggly fouls in the first half. They ae annoying but I would rather see a game like that than a stop-start affair. My problem with him was that as the game went on, he increasingly decided that things he hadn't blown for before were now fouls. It's inconsistency that I can't stand in a ref.

I thought we started the game pretty brightly and were certainly the best team in the first half of the first half but then tailed off alarmingly. The second half was awful. What were those long balls being punted up the field for? We didn't benefit from a single one of them but kept doing it! We are best when we keep the ball on the floor and move it about, preferably at speed. The chances of our small forwards winning (and being able to do anything with) a ball in the air when being defended by a couple of large centre backs was vanishingly small. The class of Burns really showed up Williams (all game) as not being a wing back. Ipswich didn't have to create space - it was there waiting for them to exploit. The same will be true of the Plymouths, Sunderlands and MKDons of this world as well - we can't go into those games and try t play like that. Any manager (in fact anybody) will have identified that particular weakness. The equaliser (while of course very very welcome) to come degree hid the fact that was a match we deserved to lose.

What concerns me slightly is that we were poor at Shrewsbury and now against Ipswich. I hope the fact that we somehow managed to get 4 points from those two games doesn't persuade KR to persist with the formation. It's OK against the weaker teams, but pretty feeble against the better ones. It's OK to say that 'we'll score more goals than you' but if you aren't making chances (the last hour or so on Saturday) that simply doesn't work.
We couldn't do our normal fast passing becaase Ipswich were blocking and cutting out everything. When that happens we seem to get rattled and lose confidence, maybe this is due to being quite a young and inexperienced side? I'm not a great fan of this formation against good teams as we can end up with neither proper full backs nor proper wingers, as happened on Saturday.

You say that you struggled to recall a goal attempt in the second half, apart from our goal scored. On our way home, we contemplated whether or not we had even progressed the ball into their penalty area during that half. We are still not sure if we did.

Very difficult to recall anything. There was a set piece late on in which there was a bit of a scramble before it was cleared away from memory, but it was hardly vintage stuff!

Thank you, Paul
I felt RadOx yesterday was rather swept away by the emotion of the equaliser, and I hope KR asks himself the hard question that everyone on the radio avoided: why were we so poor in the second half? I think you correctly identify some of the reasons - an Ipswich side full of good technical footballers, some naivety, especially from Ryan Williams (although he does really try!) and some below-par performances (McGuane, Sykes, Taylor). I would add when we were under the cosh, there was no out-ball or even 'out plan'. I would hope that coaching can address this, because punts up field that gave the ball back to them were obviously not the answer.

I also thought Sam Morsy (who is a very good player at this level) also made a difference, in part because the referee let him get away with some naughty challenges.

On McGuane: I don't think it was that much of a surprise that he was poor considering he came on with the rest of the players already playing badly, it is extremely hard to turn around a wholly bad team performance in that 2nd half. At least he tried to get the ball down on occasion and run forward, just as Holland did.

On Morsy, he seems to get away with nasty challenges a lot based on comments/highlights I've seen. I've seen Ipswich fans calling him a walking red card but somehow it doesn't happen. Assuming I've remembered the right player/challenge he got away with a bad one against us in the away game.

So McGuane is definitely due a poke in the ribs for his token effort in corralling McNally's wayward pass, and then even more so for his petulant and half-hearted lack of effort in turning round and getting back towards his goal......

.......but he's actually well down my list of people to blame for that goal!
And I'll forgive McNally readily because although it was a crap pass, he's been our best player by a very wide margin over the past month or six weeks.

But when Luke goes marauding forwards like that - someone has to have as their first thought "OK, he's off again, I need to drop back to protect him". Probably Herbie Kane most of all, but if not him either Cam or Sykes. But noone seemed to take a step back towards their own goal until the ball was lost and Ipswich were bearing down.

As it was, they played two pretty simple passes to get around Ciaron Brown, who couldn't keep up with them for pace, and all of a sudden it's basically three-on-Sam Long.
When the ball goes in, Cam & Herbie are at least ten yards behind the two attackers in the middle, and Sykes doesn't even appear on screen he's so far away.

Against the good sides, someone needs to channel their inner ARG, because we've got to make it harder than that for teams to score.

[n.b. I'm banning myself from complaining about squad construction again for the rest of the season.....I'm just not capable of stopping myself from ranting about defensive screw ups from the squad we have!]

Back
Top Bottom