Fan's View Fan's View 20/21-No.32-Ipswich away

This business of the commentary on iFollow has got me perplexed. Apparently, we get a commentary that is not what the radio broadcasts. Messrs Coper and Kinniburgh are "at the game" Jerome Sale is not. (he delivers the radio commentary for FM listeners) What this gives us is one commentator who believes they are still on radio, the other is happy to prattle on about anything all the time knowing that his listeners are watching the game. This caught me out first time and I got quite agitated about the endless pundit speak which was detracting from the game. Knowing this makes me wonder about whether I really need their commentary at all.

Thank you Paul.
You are right that we are not firing on all cylinders. We have been poor for a few games now.
We don't seem to be alone though. Most of the top of the table are very inconsistent and anecdotally a number are not playing well. Is this due to the pitches, COVID ( bubbles, cramming fixtures in, no supporters?) As you say sticking inthere however is important.
I have virtually given up on the FA Cup. I watch us play and maybe a couple of non league teams looking for an upset , but then?
I was at Brighton away. I had been to quite a few away games (we usually seemed to lose 2 1 having been 1 up), and this was THE first game that I can remember that really seemed to make it all worthwhile.

top FV as usual @Paul B ..... few random-ish thoughts after reading it

FA Cup- the Blackburn win, followed by the 'robbery' V PNE at the Manor (I think '64) - PNE went on to lose to WHU in the final- along with the Brighton game are lasting FA cup (U's) memories for me. Sadly, in recent times IMO the FA cup has been watered down and devalued, mainly down to FA capitulating to the disdainful, disrespectful demands of PL clubs. The FA Cup hasn't held much interest for me for quite a while- oldest cup competition in the world, relegated to an afterthought, at best, due to the monied elite at the top of the English pyramid being allowed to call the shots so to speak

'Club' song- we, OUFC, really should have one ( my choices of candidates would be either Those Were the days, or When you're smiling- both huge favourites with the London Road end early 70s).... personally, I'm sick and tired of the vegan song ( 'swede- carrot- lime' ), - as used by countless other clubs as well as egg chasers among others - being belted over the tannoy after a home win. I've always thought it's a bit crap anyway ... it's not as is if the lyrics lend themselves to communal participation either! Besides, I've never liked that damn song.

Ive a feeling Pompey will be on the end of a proper spanking ( we're overdue to deal one to 'someone') Tues night, and Matty Taylor will get his goalscoring mojo back in style

Last edited:
Nice report, as always.

I said at the start of this Covid ravaged season that I would be happy if come next August I have a club to support and we are still in League 1 (I should have course added 'and that I am here to see it'). It looks like the first two of those will be true and I have high hopes for the last one, and especially after the dismal start to the season we had maybe I ought to be content! But as per your report, a record breaking run has got us all hoping for the playoffs and some are even dreaming of the automatic promotion places.

I know it's an odd (ungrateful?) thing to say after our recent record, but the last few performances have been very flat - we are struggling to get out of second gear - and if we keep playing as we are then midtable is probably where we will end up. But with this team, there is always the feeling that things *could* just 'click', especially as Lee and Barker become fitter and more used to how their team mates play and vice versa - let's hope a decent win against Pompey will be the start of that.

Bang on Paul - thank you!

I've been trying to pinpoint what has gone missing since our fantastic transfer window signings joined and a couple of bits you mention really stuck out for me.

Firstly, players not being on the same wavelength - absolutely agree and this happens every time we (or any other football club) disrupts a performing team. Players need to learn each others games and then play effectively together to their strengths to become greater than the sum of their parts. We're not close to that yet, but confident it will come (if we don't tinker too much). I should caveat this with the fact the disruption was not entirely through choice with the Long and McGuane injuries.

Secondly - dynamism. Particularly from full back positions. Losing Long has upset us far more than I had thought it would. He and Ruffs were both making some great runs from full back, either with the ball or overlapping to provide an option. We've seemingly stopped doing that. In Forde's case it's because he's not really a right back (at least not in the Long style) and as much as I like him as a player and as great as his delivery or (sometimes) vision may be, but god is he ponderous at Right back. Every time he got the ball on Saturday it felt like we changed down a couple of gears and lost a lot of impetus and momentum - he's far better further up the pitch. I do also kind of wonder if Obita had stayed, he would be a more dynamic RB option.....we will never know!

Now whether this has upset the balance to the extent that Ruffs no longer marauds forward like he had been doing, I'm not sure. That may just be down to a coincidental loss of form (it happens)....or just being knackered from so many Sat/Tues games. What is clear, that some of our most productive attacking options seems to have dried up a bit. We aren't creating the extra man out wide and we're not finding the gaps and stretching the opposition in the same way we were a few games ago.

Talking of form, it it just a coincidence that Matty has dried up too, or is it because of all these factors above?

Seriously hoping we can find that balance again with Longs return and also that McGuane's return will prove to be the cherry on top. Watching us has become a frustrating experience of late!

Great write up as usual Paul.
A while back you use to do a nice summary on the financial position of the opposition, Ipswich accounts are quite scary. Year end 2019 show a negative Balance Sheet of £86M with about £90M owed to the Chairman's Companies. That is the year they got relegated from the Championship.

Great write up as usual Paul.
A while back you use to do a nice summary on the financial position of the opposition, Ipswich accounts are quite scary. Year end 2019 show a negative Balance Sheet of £86M with about £90M owed to the Chairman's Companies. That is the year they got relegated from the Championship.
They are scary figures. Football finance is a scary place indeed and is forever changing, usually for the worse. The Price of Football Podcast is superb for keeping people like me who are interested in it fairly up to date.

Back
Top Bottom