4th Test England V Australia - Old Trafford

off to work ... so i dont have to take anymore disappointments from England ... maybe theyll dig in while Im away ?

Call me crazy but for some reason I think we can do it... Just one day to bat out... just leave everything wide or on length... smother those forward defensive shots...

Call me crazy but for some reason I think we can do it... Just one day to bat out... just leave everything wide or on length... smother those forward defensive shots...
That's the logical approach. The question is whether the rest of the batsmen have the technique and temperament to actually do that. Some have neither! And Root and Burns (two of the better player at playing sensibly) are already sat back in the pavilion.

So, yes - you are crazy! ?:D

Yep, with Denly and Roy at the crease we may as well be 4 down.
Not sure that Smith is the only difference between the sides. Labuschagne has been head and shoulders above the England batsmen as well (apart from Stokes).
For example, Labuschagne and Root have faced almost exactly the same number of deliveries (around 570) but Root is averaging 30 to Labuschagne's 58.

The lack of mental application has been astonishing! Pundits talk about them playing too much white ball and not enough red ball, but really it is the lack of application that has been our undoing.

I get that the amount of white ball cricket does have sone impact on test batting but surely not to the extent of double figure team scores!! How many times have batsmen got out to absolute beauties?

Taking the long view.
We have failed to find a way to deal with Sandy at the crease, and we have consistently failed to bat with any semblance of confidence.
Too many of our batsmen have wafted and waved a lazy bat at just about any ball and their wickets have consistently fallen cheaply.
Test cricket is not 20/20. Any delivery, especially as an opener has to be pitched for you to hit sweetly or just left well alone.
Far too often in the early part of their innings they are flinging a bat at shots they really haven’t earned the right to play.
Convict bowlers needed to be blunted by dogged, dour block play but the concentration from us just largely isn’t there.

I hate (truly) to say it, but Smith has been utterly stupendous with the bat this series and it could be said that his omission from the last test was the only reason we won it.
We have to address these weaknesses and with the last test, maybe try to find someone with a bit of stickability.

We've got two batsmen in who are playing for the Ashes and their careers. It goes against all rational thinking, but I think they may just come good! Not Ben Stokes good, but battling through till lunch at least and seeing where we go from there!

We've got two batsmen in who are playing for the Ashes and their careers. It goes against all rational thinking, but I think they may just come good! Not Ben Stokes good, but battling through till lunch at least and seeing where we go from there!

I should add that I do not speak for the England cricket team and any thoughts of success are not legally binding!!! Hate to get shot down again if it all goes tits up!!!!

Smith literally is the difference between the teams
Hmm, I’d also say that, at this time, the Aussie bowling attack is a lot better than ours. Losing Anderson at the start of the series was quite momentous. Overton wouldn’t get anywhere near the Australian team. Whatever happens today Curran surely has to come in for the last game doesn’t he?

Roy ... after looking half decent this morning, gone for 31 ... Stokes in next .... another Stokes game winning innings too much to hope for ? C'mon England

Roy ... after looking half decent this morning, gone for 31 ... Stokes in next .... another Stokes game winning innings too much to hope for ? C'mon England
that 'll be a no then .... Stokes gone for 1 ..... oh dear

lunch .... the chase is less than 300 now (296) ... just two more sessions to bat through for the draw

lunch .... the chase is less than 300 now (296) ... just two more sessions to bat through for the draw
Will feel more like 3 sessions with the potential for such a late finish. Denly is batting well but not sure I have the same confidence in Bairstow/Buttler to knuckle down. Get through to tea no more than 5 down and we may just hang on.

Will feel more like 3 sessions with the potential for such a late finish. Denly is batting well but not sure I have the same confidence in Bairstow/Buttler to knuckle down. Get through to tea no more than 5 down and we may just hang on.
Simpler still...…………..just knock off the runs.

Denly reaches his half century..... double that figure, twice, would be good

Back
Top Bottom