EFL EFL Playoffs

Feels like football is resetting a little bit now.

Ipswich and Wednesday back to the championship, Wigan, Reading, Blackpool and Carlisle back to league 1. Morecambe, MK, FGR and Accrington back to league 2.
Don’t forget the Scum. They have found their level 😂

To me I still think of Leicester more of an old second division team, went to Filbert Street a couple of times including our amazing 3-2 victory with goals from Cusack and Dyer I think
I was there, I still believe that the Alex Dyer winner right at the end was in part due to how loud we were as a travelling support that day, lifted the team after Leicester equalised with about 4mins to go. One of the best days I've had on the road.

Although they were an established top flight side in the 80s. Our first win at that level was 5-0 v Leicester in August '85.

To me I still think of Leicester more of an old second division team, went to Filbert Street a couple of times including our amazing 3-2 victory with goals from Cusack and Dyer I think
My first memory of Leicester is in the premier league at filbert street with muzzy Izzet and Steve guppy.
I’d say Brentford, Brighton Fulham and Bournemouth buck the trend in the premier league going off how we remember those teams.

My first memory of Leicester is in the premier league at filbert street with muzzy Izzet and Steve guppy.
I’d say Brentford, Brighton Fulham and Bournemouth buck the trend in the premier league going off how we remember those teams.

What year was that game, when all the Leicester fans started throwing money up at us, because they stayed up.

That was at Filbert St.

What year was that game, when all the Leicester fans started throwing money up at us, because they stayed up.

That was at Filbert St.
I never went to filbert street. My first Oxford game was the joey screamer vs Blackpool in 96 and my first away game was Shrewsbury away when Woodman got injured and McNiven went in goal.

Barnsley is a dreadful place to go, all up and down hills to get to the ground, all nearby watering holes, are home fans only.

Having said that, Sheff Wed going up would make the league slightly weaker. Even though we’ve very nearly beaten them on all four occasions we’ve met since they dropped down to Lge 1.

I quite liked to go to Barnsley but that was a long while ago.

Pleased for Weds even though judging by the highlights they were lucky on the day. Didn’t look like a quality game, it seemed all high balls and long throws.

One of my big hopes for next season is that we get better at dealing with big bruisers like Barnsley.

• React
Reactions: m
League one next season doesn’t look as strong now. Certainly with the right recruitment there should be a lot of optimism of a top 6 finish at a minimum.

FxUj3xFWwAcGDhO

I was there, I still believe that the Alex Dyer winner right at the end was in part due to how loud we were as a travelling support that day, lifted the team after Leicester equalised with about 4mins to go. One of the best days I've had on the road.

Although they were an established top flight side in the 80s. Our first win at that level was 5-0 v Leicester in August '85.

Remember beating them in the League Cup `87 or so and getting chased across Nelson Mandela park, little did I know said park would be the view from the office window 35 years later. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Remember beating them in the League Cup `87 or so and getting chased across Nelson Mandela park, little did I know said park would be the view from the office window 35 years later. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
3-2 win coming back from 2 down?

I was on the supporter's coach that got bricked following that win. A right dump, Filbert Street.

Why cant the smaller clubs play in the Premiership.
I was there in the 80s when a certain Little Club called Oxford Utd played in the old 1st Division and won the Milk Cup. And played at The Manor.
Good luck to Luton, even if it is only for just the one season.

Going back a bit in the conversation - but the crazy Premier League broadcast deals mean that the playing field is not as even in the Championship as it was back then.

Luton had total revenues last season of about £18m (so did Coventry). And spent about that on wages.
Norwich and Watford, by contrast, got Premier League parachute payments of more than £40m alone! Their overall revenues were likely 3-4x this season what Luton made.

Most of the 'smaller' clubs that have made it to the Premiership have either been bankrolled by rich owners (e.g. Bournemouth) or had built up their club infrastructure over years and years - including building new grounds and outstanding recruitment structures - so that they were able to compete at Championship level (e.g. Brentford, Brighton).

I think the last Championship club to outperform their budget as much as Luton did this year was probably Blackpool about a dozen years ago.....and even then, back then parachute payments weren't nearly as high. It's possible that noone's ever won promotion to the top division with as big a financial deficit as Luton had this season.

Jealous? For sure. But also really glad to see that it's still possible to go from bottom-to-top with just good management, and without a complete restructuring of the club. I hope they cause some havoc next year and make a decent fist of staying up. But even if they don't, one year in the PL will pay for their new ground!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom