Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Indeed, but how do you know that was the problem?
Buckingham would presumably have set out his vision and sold the club.
The truth is we don't know whether the potential assistant didn't like this vision, got a fantastic offer closer to home, ot our Board are cutting costs and wanted Hackett!!

Well actually, we do know that, at least if you're happy to take @WEYellow's version of events (which I am) that another assistant was in the frame and had been at the club.

Do you think there is anything odd about Williams and Buckingham's respective takes on Hackett that both came out yesterday? Doesn't appear that they're singing off the same hymn sheet.

What if KR had been sacked in August/October/November and we had given it to Mous until the end of the season?

He could've done everything that you say Manning did but done it earlier. I daresay he would've been a calm head after the chaos of Karl and the players (and fans) would've responded to him - after all he seems to be doing alright at Pompey.

On the assumption that he would've done well, then he could've done the summer rebuild and possibly wouldn't have walked off to Bristol City like Manning did.
Isn’t hindsight wonderful?

perhaps you could describe what you can see "unveiling in front of your eyes on and off the pitch"
just to make it easy for you, read the board as there are a few concerns raised by other fans, mostly not as knowledgable as you but none the less, concerns

I take issue with this section of your reply in particular.

1) Why should supporters simply accept mediocre communication, relating to a first team appointment?
2) Des has been here over 7 weeks. Until yesterday, we'd heard nothing from the CEO/Chairman on our quest for an analyst of assistant head coach. When we did get an update, it turns out that the CEO and Manager have different ideas about what that appears to look like in reality. Is that acceptable communication?

The Oxford Mail have even ran a story about this, today. It isn't a few fans that are simply 'overreacting''.

You have repeatedly referenced player transactions that have/may happen in January. I think you are somewhat misreading this thread, if you think people's primary concerns are the players that may get traded.
Frankly, i couldn't give a monkeys who comes and goes in January. My biggest worry is that Tim Williams is not up to the job of running this football club, along with Grant Ferguson. They're track record since being here is not clever and here are a few examples:

a) KR was kept far too long. It was widely known he had lost it and he even came out and told the press he SHOULD have been sacked.
b) Missed deadlines on planning application submission, with the latest update now not even providing a timeline.
c) Des has been put in post, but left without support staff for 7 weeks (12 games).
d) No promised fans forum by the end of last season (currently 7 months late and counting).
e) We're customers, not supporters remember?

When you stick it all in the melting pot, i think you'd have to be a very staunch supporter of OUFC and TW/GF to suggest that fans are the problem and are simply 'overreacting'

I've said elsewhere that CEO is experienced in high level football finance funding and is less experienced in the day to day running of the football club. The skillset he has is exactly what we need if we want to build a new stadium, perhaps less so if we are discussing how best to announce changes in coaching staff to a knowledgeable, opinonated and gossipy fanbase- with lots of rumour and a few grudgebearers.

a) KR was kept far too long. It was widely known he had lost it and he even came out and told the press he SHOULD have been sacked.
AGREED
b) Missed deadlines on planning application submission, with the latest update now not even providing a timeline.
I Don't think we've missed any deadlines. The timeline has slipped, true. The explanation has been given,
c) Des has been put in post, but left without support staff for 7 weeks (12 games).
I think bringing a manager from Mumbai has meant that process has taken longer than it mught otherwise.
Do you think it shows commitment to appoint a manager with that reputation and links to OUFC, or lack of commitment not to have thought through all the issues of finding assistants etc? I think Des was a good choice to replace Manning and seems to show long term vision.
d) No promised fans forum by the end of last season (currently 7 months late and counting).
I don't think the current owners want a fans forum. Persoanlly I would prefer the German model but we are where we are. Fans forums are PR exercises.
Yes Which is why I prefer the German model.

I think we need an experienced project manager who can do all the day to day dull stuff. Not director of football - we have one of those- someone who can fill the gap between Bakri Thohir and Williams who knows the club and the fans and has the trust of both.

Frankly, i couldn't give a monkeys who comes and goes in January
I really do care about that, because that will be the first indication of Des Buckingham's team- and whether the rumours that the owners want to pull out or are cutting the budget have any foundation.

Also the players we have on the pitch are the ones we are going to watch every week and are going to be the ones who get us promoted I hope.

Isn’t hindsight wonderful?
Is it still hindsight if you're calling for it to happen months before it does, and correctly predict what will happen if it doesn't? Calling it hindsight is an absolute cop out, it was blindingly obvious Robinson should have gone months before he did.

I've said elsewhere that CEO is experienced in high level football finance funding and is less experienced in the day to day running of the football club. The skillset he has is exactly what we need if we want to build a new stadium, perhaps less so if we are discussing how best to announce changes in coaching staff to a knowledgeable, opinonated and gossipy fanbase- with lots of rumour and a few grudgebearers.

AGREED
I Don't think we've missed any deadlines. The timeline has slipped, true. The explanation has been given,
I think bringing a manager from Mumbai has meant that process has taken longer than it mught otherwise.
Do you think it shows commitment to appoint a manager with that reputation and links to OUFC, or lack of commitment not to have thought through all the issues of finding assistants etc? I think Des was a good choice to replace Manning and seems to show long term vision.
I don't think the current owners want a fans forum. Persoanlly I would prefer the German model but we are where we are. Fans forums are PR exercises.

I think we need an experienced project manager who can do all the day to day dull stuff. Not director of football - we have one of those- someone who can fill the gap between Bakri Thohir and Williams who knows the club and the fans and has the trust of both.

I really do care about that, because that will be the first indication of Des Buckingham's team- and whether the rumours that the owners want to pull out or are cutting the budget have any foundation.

Also the players we have on the pitch are the ones we are going to watch every week and are going to be the ones who get us promoted I hope.
Who is the Director of Football?

Mous was part of the coaching team unable to turn things around. The same people whingeing here would have been whingeing it was the cheap option.
Mous was confirmed to have left on 20 January 2023. We beat Ipswich on 21 January and then we took 1 point from a possible 24. So if you include results after Mousinho left and before Robinson got sacked, then we took 4 points from a possible 27. Maybe Mous was actually helping to hold stuff together a bit?

A fair few people on here were suggesting putting Mousinho in temporary charge towards the end of 2022. I really don't think people would've moaned it was the cheap option, they would've been happy to see control wrestled off Robinson and some calm restored.

Mous was part of the coaching team unable to turn things around. The same people whingeing here would have been whingeing it was the cheap option.
You're rewriting the past if you say people who wanted Robinson out in October (or earlier) wouldn't have been happy with Mous given the role as a caretaker. He was the very definition of low hanging fruit and if it hadn't worked out then we would still have had time to get a new manager in.

As I type this is see the point has been made that our form tailed off dramatically after Mous left the club. All points to him being a solid influence and his record at Portsmouth is outstanding despite their current wobble. The team he inherited there were on a terrible run as well, I think it was something like 2 wins in 15 and 1 of them was against Forest Green, and he turned the round immediately.

Saying fans would have called it the cheap option is a lazy way to dismiss valid criticism. We all want results at the end of the day, Robinson wasn't delivering them and there was no sign that he would, Mous might have. Also by delaying we gave Robinson another window to work his magic which nearly ended up taking us down.

AGREED

I must of missed the announcement, who’s the Director of Football?

I meant that Des Buckingham as well as Head Coach is to all intents and purposes Director of Football.
this place is poisonous at times

I’m lost. The skill set of an effective DoV is somewhat different to that of the Head Coach.

They are two full time roles in their own right. Do you think Des should be doing them both?

I meant that Des Buckingham as well as Head Coach is to all intents and purposes Director of Football.
this place is poisonous at times
Incredible. The entire point of a Director of Football is to take pressure off of the Head Coach by doing a lot of the other work for him allowing him to coach. If Des is doing both then that is exactly how it's not supposed to work and proves the opposite to the point you were trying to make.

Good job in saying something completely wrong and calling people who disagree with you "poisonous" though. If everyone had that attitude it would be much more peaceful on here.

The director of football normally works closely with the manager, but has a more strategic role, overseeing the running of medical and physiotherapy departments, the scouting network, transfer dealings, and data analysis
teams.
I think Des can deal with the fitness and the data analysis side , yes.

Back
Top Bottom