Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

You've read many peoples' concerns with the communication of the Hackett appointment and said it's 'irrelevent'

You've seen lots of people outlining why they are concerned the TW isn't managing the football side of the club effectively, and blamed it on the weather.

You've seen a fan describe one performance as lacklustre and called him out on it, refused to accept it.

Forgive me if I question your ability to take other peoples' concerns on board.
i've said that you've overreacted to the announcement about Hackett.

I disagreed with a fan describing our performances as lacklustre based on the last league game where we came from behind played some decent football and won with a world class finish . you agreed with me.

Your ability to make something out of nothing, change the subject and carry a grudge is positively Robinsonian

Here’s a thought: I wonder if the appointment of an assistant for Des was slowed down as the club tried to encourage applications under ‘the Rooney Rule’. The coaching team are a very ‘white bunch’ nowadays so I guess adding some diversity in there would be a positive 🤷‍♂️

i've said that you've overreacted to the announcement about Hackett.

I disagreed with a fan describing our performances as lacklustre based on the last league game where we came from behind played some decent football and won with a world class finish . you agreed with me.

Your ability to make something out of nothing, change the subject and carry a grudge is positively Robinsonian
Change the subject? You've brought up Christmas, the cold, being skint, Beadle being recalled, the loanes being replaced. None of this related to anything being discussed on this thread?

Some of our fans need to get real, reset their expectations, and give Des time. Given our current infrastructure and revenue, being 5th in L1 is punching above our weight. Yes, we have potential to be higher which will come if we keep our owners and get a stadium. Said fans should be careful what they wish for. Oxford as a City needs the Universities but will function quite happily without a league football club, it's only the fans that would really suffer without one.
We could have got a higher profile manager in, we know how that would have played out.
We've got Des, for goodness sake get behind him - life is too short.
We are called United for a reason.

last league game was Charlton away. Who else thinks that was "lacklustre"? Seemed a pretty clear game plan to me.
Yes and even on the games we lost, the team commitment was there. Derby was a tough game for many reasons but lack of player commitment wasnt a problem.

I brought up Christmas, the cold, being Skint, Beadle being recalled and the loanees being replaced as reasons why normally sensible posters seem to be reacting so extremely to a poorly written statement by a CEO.

Do i think it could be improved? yes. Do i think that it means that that there are "red flags" everywhere. that "There's so much stuff to be genuinely concerned about at the club at the moment". No. We've had Kassam, and Maxwell as owners and Graham Rix and Karl Robinson as managers.
Compared to any of those then I think you're over reacting.

So you agree with me that it wasn't lacklustre.

i don't "refuse to accept any criticism whatsoever about the club" I just think that some fans (including you) are overreacting by suggesting that poor comms about the announcement of an assistant manager means that the club is in freefall.

I'm happy to wait and see who we've signed at the end of January. If we've not found replacements for Beadle, Edwards, an attacking option and a solution to the Thorniley problem I will worry.

I take issue with this section of your reply in particular.

1) Why should supporters simply accept mediocre communication, relating to a first team appointment?
2) Des has been here over 7 weeks. Until yesterday, we'd heard nothing from the CEO/Chairman on our quest for an analyst of assistant head coach. When we did get an update, it turns out that the CEO and Manager have different ideas about what that appears to look like in reality. Is that acceptable communication?

The Oxford Mail have even ran a story about this, today. It isn't a few fans that are simply 'overreacting''.

You have repeatedly referenced player transactions that have/may happen in January. I think you are somewhat misreading this thread, if you think people's primary concerns are the players that may get traded.
Frankly, i couldn't give a monkeys who comes and goes in January. My biggest worry is that Tim Williams is not up to the job of running this football club, along with Grant Ferguson. They're track record since being here is not clever and here are a few examples:

a) KR was kept far too long. It was widely known he had lost it and he even came out and told the press he SHOULD have been sacked.
b) Missed deadlines on planning application submission, with the latest update now not even providing a timeline.
c) Des has been put in post, but left without support staff for 7 weeks (12 games).
d) No promised fans forum by the end of last season (currently 7 months late and counting).
e) We're customers, not supporters remember?

When you stick it all in the melting pot, i think you'd have to be a very staunch supporter of OUFC and TW/GF to suggest that fans are the problem and are simply 'overreacting'

Here's part of the problem. We're all passionate fans of Oxford Utd and want what's best for the club. It's an extraordinary season at a really important time (play off hopes, huge injuries, three managers in 12 months, new stadium) so we're all a bit frazzled and clinging on to any signs of progression. We have a forum that we all contribute to several times a day but not a great deal of information to go on (not the fault of the club really as things can change so quickly in football - one day you are on the verge of signing a new player or bringing in an assistant manager and then things change or loans players are recalled or injured).

This means we are desperate for info but the nature of football means things change quickly and rumoured decisions don't come off. That creates a vacuum and means we - as fans - scrutinise everything looking for concrete info i.e. Des' comments last night about moving too quickly on the Assistant Manager announcement. It's completely understandable that we do this but also knackering and probably not helpful. As I think @chromeyellow says - lets try and keep things calm until the end of the window (easier said than done for me) and give Des and the players the best support (which I think on the whole they get).

I take issue with this section of your reply in particular.

1) Why should supporters simply accept mediocre communication, relating to a first team appointment?
2) Des has been here over 7 weeks. Until yesterday, we'd heard nothing from the CEO/Chairman on our quest for an analyst of assistant head coach. When we did get an update, it turns out that the CEO and Manager have different ideas about what that appears to look like in reality. Is that acceptable communication?

The Oxford Mail have even ran a story about this, today. It isn't a few fans that are simply 'overreacting''.

You have repeatedly referenced player transactions that have/may happen in January. I think you are somewhat misreading this thread, if you think people's primary concerns are the players that may get traded.
Frankly, i couldn't give a monkeys who comes and goes in January. My biggest worry is that Tim Williams is not up to the job of running this football club, along with Grant Ferguson. They're track record since being here is not clever and here are a few examples:

a) KR was kept far too long. It was widely known he had lost it and he even came out and told the press he SHOULD have been sacked.
b) Missed deadlines on planning application submission, with the latest update now not even providing a timeline.
c) Des has been put in post, but left without support staff for 7 weeks (12 games).
d) No promised fans forum by the end of last season (currently 7 months late and counting).
e) We're customers, not supporters remember?

When you stick it all in the melting pot, i think you'd have to be a very staunch supporter of OUFC and TW/GF to suggest that fans are the problem and are simply 'overreacting'
Must be freezing where you are

Modern football has blurred the lines between roles in football.

In the past, you had strikers - now you can have the #9, the false nine, the second striker and so on. Likewise, in the past you would have had a manager and an assistant manager - now you can have a head coach, first-team coach, analyst, loans manager, contracts manager, strength and fitness coach, conditioning coach and even more you can think of.

Just a theory but what may have occurred with Hackett and the Assistant Manager role is that Hackett has been promoted to the first team coaching setup but possibly not to Assistant Manager. He has joined Short, Price and Waldron directly under DB in the coaching hierarchy. His job title may not be defined yet but TW's statement seems to suggest he is the Assistant Manager. I would presume that DB still wants a second-in-command but also wants Hackett as part of the 'committee' who are involved in first-team affairs and identifying transfer targets.

It's messy whatever way you look at it. I thought TW's statement looked rushed and in obvious response to Rad Ox and the fans' messages to them asking for more info. For a professional football club that isn't doing too badly at present despite a host of players missing, it's not very professional from those above the manager at present.

KR was sacked at the perfect time.

Given every chance to turn things around and left the perfect amount of time for LM to come in…save us from relegation, assess the squad and then build for the following season…..which he was backed thoroughly to make early signings.

Again it’s very easy to throw other people’s money at compensation payments.

Buckingham may well have identified the Assistant Manager, but he's not going to be the one responsible for getting the contract drawn up and sent out.
Indeed, but how do you know that was the problem?
Buckingham would presumably have set out his vision and sold the club.
The truth is we don't know whether the potential assistant didn't like this vision, got a fantastic offer closer to home, ot our Board are cutting costs and wanted Hackett!!

Given every chance to turn things around and left the perfect amount of time for LM to come in…save us from relegation, assess the squad and then build for the following season…..which he was backed thoroughly to make early signings.

I think this might be the very worst take on anything OUFC that I have ever read.

What if KR had been sacked in August/October/November and we had given it to Mous until the end of the season?

He could've done everything that you say Manning did but done it earlier. I daresay he would've been a calm head after the chaos of Karl and the players (and fans) would've responded to him - after all he seems to be doing alright at Pompey.

On the assumption that he would've done well, then he could've done the summer rebuild and possibly wouldn't have walked off to Bristol City like Manning did.

What if KR had been sacked in August/October/November and we had given it to Mous until the end of the season?

He could've done everything that you say Manning did but done it earlier. I daresay he would've been a calm head after the chaos of Karl and the players (and fans) would've responded to him - after all he seems to be doing alright at Pompey.

On the assumption that he would've done well, then he could've done the summer rebuild and possibly wouldn't have walked off to Bristol City like Manning did.
Mous was part of the coaching team unable to turn things around. The same people whingeing here would have been whingeing it was the cheap option.

Back
Top Bottom