CWC 19 : Sri Lanka V South Africa

!5 overs- 79-1 ... 125 to win (& 'help' England)

It's possible that South Africa bungle this still, but not looking likely.....

…..which just further emphasizes that England had absolutely no business losing to Sri Lanka. They've been a rank bad team in every other game they've played. It was just a straight-up bottle job chasing a small total against one of the worst teams in the tournament, and there's a good chance that it costs us a place in the semis.

It does make me angry that England have been so good for such an extended period of time in this form of the game, but now - the only time when it really counts in a four-year cycle - they're screwing it up. If they don't beat India on Sunday, and do crash out of the tournament, then it's time for a mass cull of the one day leadership...….heads must roll!

It's possible that South Africa bungle this still, but not looking likely.....

…..which just further emphasizes that England had absolutely no business losing to Sri Lanka. They've been a rank bad team in every other game they've played. It was just a straight-up bottle job chasing a small total against one of the worst teams in the tournament, and there's a good chance that it costs us a place in the semis.

It does make me angry that England have been so good for such an extended period of time in this form of the game, but now - the only time when it really counts in a four-year cycle - they're screwing it up. If they don't beat India on Sunday, and do crash out of the tournament, then it's time for a mass cull of the one day leadership...….heads must roll!

Public decapitation of Bayliss perhaps a good start point... should England crash out.... though a win against either India or NZ should see England scrape into the semi finals?

Public decapitation of Bayliss perhaps a good start point... should England crash out.... though a win against either India or NZ should see England scrape into the semi finals?

I don't think so.

I think Pakistan are playing well now, and will beat Bangladesh (as well as Afghanistan). Don't get me wrong, Bangladesh are a good side - but Pakistan have a much better bowling attack, and now seem to have remembered how to bat.

So I'm expecting them to end up on 11 points. Which means at a minimum England need a Win and a Tie or NR. And I don't see any rain in the current forecast!

By the way, in case anyone hasn't seen this statistic, these are Pakistan's results from the 1992 World Cup (the only other one to have ever adopted this format):

Loss, Win, Rainout, Loss, Loss, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win - Champions.

And here's their results from this year's tournament so far:

Loss, Win, Rainout, Loss, Loss, Win, Win...…..

They'd have to win one more game this time round to repeat the feat (there's 10 teams vs. 9 in 1992) but it's spooky so far.

de Silva's off spin bowling back into the 'attack'

25 overs gone, 130-1 .... 74 for the win required

been a couple of low/ no scoring overs ... a tad worrying for SA (& England), required run rate has risen to .... about 3 an over :sneaky:

Comedy moment as Umpire Ravi momentarily forgets hes given a wide and almost ends the 27th over 1 ball early :rolleyes:

I agree that the Sri Lanka debacle could stop us getting to the Semis and it really isnt good enough.
I just wonder if Engkand are flat track bullies. Certainly in this WC, there has at times been some brainless cricket. It is all well and good attacking and saying 'this is the way that we play', but on slow wickets against some decent bowlers, sometimes it is best just to win even if it does mean being a little conservative.
From being rightly favourites to in all likelihood going out before the semis (let's hope not) England have been a massive disappointment.
As for Bairstow's comments about people waiting for England to fail. Ridiculous. Almost everybody in England wants to see England do well.

Amla survives a 3rd umpire review for lbw .... 19 overs to go .... 38 runs required

15 overs left .... 13 runs needed

Last edited:
8 runs required .... 14 overs to get them , with 9 wickets in their pocket ... not even SA can mess this up...can they?

Back
Top Bottom