League One Confirmed League 1 distances 23/24 season

Wandering Yellow

Confirmed for next season:

S - short distance from OUFC
M - Medium distance from OUFC
L - Long distance from OUFC

23/24

(L) Barnsley - driving 142 miles - will be strong you would imagine, after missing out harshly in the PO final
(L) Blackpool - Driving 203 miles -They had our pants down a few years ago in the PO Semi. Probably the most embarrassed I've been watching us for some time and that includes this season. We did get the better of them in the CamBran saga though. Grim. Up north. They'll fancy their chances as any club coming down from the Championship usually does.
(L) Bolton Wanderers - Driving 178 miles - Missed out on the play offs, so presumably will be looking to kick on next season.
(S) Bristol Rovers - Driving 69 miles.- Local-ish game for local yellows, always annoying kick off times. Can't remember us winning there since Roofe banged one in. Likely a mid-table club next season, they always feel quite unpredictable to me.
(M)Burton Albion - Driving 86 miles - Bit meh, likely won't be up the top. Good away day for Yellows who like beer.
(M) Cambridge - Driving 76 miles - Away end miles from the pitch is annoying, but a decent away day. Will likely just have their aims set at surviving with comfort after least season
(L) Carlisle United - driving 257 miles - good vibe at the club no doubt, but I doubt they have the finances to challenge the Play-offs, likely aims set on survival
(S) Charlton Ath - Driving 63 miles but take the train- I would presume they will be demanding play-offs at least next season, poor season by their standards this season. They seem to be a bit cursed, and often a bit of a basket case
(S) Cheltenham - Driving 43 miles They looked awful at our place, guess they will want to strengthen, likely won't be amongst the strongest teams next season.
(M) Derby - Driving 105 miles - They will be demanding play-offs next season. Strong squad, healthy budget. I'd be surprised if they finish any lower than 6th
(L)Exeter - Driving 137 miles - Bit of a meh club to me as well. Don't seem to have the budget to make an impact at the top of the division.
(L)Fleetwood - Driving 208 miles Probably the most boring club in the division. They'll usually be fine, maybe one day Pilley will turn off their money tap.
(S) Orient - driving 74 miles but get the train - Still has the feel of a grudge game. London away day which is good. Presumably only targetting survival.
(L) Lincoln - driving 133 miles - Fancy them to drop soon, but don't know what their financial situation is. Never the most exciting feeling of games with them.
(S) Northampton - driving 47 miles Local-ish, we had a small rivalry with them in the league 2 promotion season, but feels just like any other game now. Wish they had a bigger away end, their ground is even more crap than ours.
(M) Peterborough - driving 96 miles - after totally bottling the play-offs, I imagine they will want to strengthen if money allows it
(M) Portsmouth - driving 86 miles - We seem to always be in the same division as them. I don't know why really, but I don't like them. Maybe just ratboy Ronan. I would assume their support will be getting very restless if they don't secure the play-offs next season.
(L) Vale - driving 131 miles - Bit boring. Your standard crap town lower league club.
(S) Reading - driving 28 miles, easy train though - Will be fun to have a derby of sorts back with the plastics. Seem like a bit of a basketcase but teams even basketcase clubs seem to come down and have strong squads. I assume they'll be thinking autos is likely.
(L) Shrewsbury driving 131 miles - Boring club in my opinion, wouldn't mind seeing them drop, just not that exciting of an away day. Don't think they have a budget to do much better than mid-table.
(S) Stevenage - driving 65 miles - Dismal place. Local-ish I guess. They'll probably just be targetting survival
(L) Wigan - driving 168 miles - I detest what Wigan have come to represent. They always seem in financial trouble then come down here and buy the league. Then the cycle continues. When will this club be financially stable, and why are they allowed to buy the league so often after mad stuff like not paying wages??
(S) Wycombe - driving 25 miles Transitional period for them under Bloomfield next season. It's a sign of the times I doubt we will be better than them.

Last edited:
Mrs L and I are already looking forward to a few weekends away. Derby was fun, hotel within walking distance and a very good cocktail/curry house opposite. Had a good weekend in Cambridge season before this so that could be on again, as will Lincoln. The London clubs will mean taking the coach, nowhere to park anymore. Shrewsbury usually sees us going on to Wales and Snowdonia to visit an old friend the morning after the game (as long as the town isn't flooded!) Bristol, Cheltenham, Wycombe, Northampton and Reading are all day trips.
All in all, shaping up to be a quite a busy season. Down to the team to provide some entertainment!

Have Derby relocated ? 😂
That struck me too! I seem to recall it's a tad further than 57 miles!

I have always enjoyed Burton and Shrewsbury as away days. Northampton though is as dull as them come with no decent pubs near the ground and a dull ground.
Cheltenham can either be really good or really bad, it all depends on what mood the stewards are in on the day.
Wigan is another crap away day but it s handy for me only being an hour away.

Out of the teams leaving the league I am sorry to see Accy go as I always enjoyed going there and I hope Peterborough go up just because it keeps the northern team quota up.

Mrs L and I are already looking forward to a few weekends away. Derby was fun, hotel within walking distance and a very good cocktail/curry house opposite. Had a good weekend in Cambridge season before this so that could be on again, as will Lincoln. The London clubs will mean taking the coach, nowhere to park anymore. Shrewsbury usually sees us going on to Wales and Snowdonia to visit an old friend the morning after the game (as long as the town isn't flooded!) Bristol, Cheltenham, Wycombe, Northampton and Reading are all day trips.
All in all, shaping up to be a quite a busy season. Down to the team to provide some entertainment!

That struck me too! I seem to recall it's a tad further than 57 miles!
As you say, away days are made by the performance in many respects, and that was certainly lacking last term.

Would I be right in thinking the league has more of a southern feel this term? Although Wigan and Blackpool I guess replace Accy and Blackpool as far-flung northern outposts.

One thing I noticed putting this together is the Scummers must feel quite sick about being in the basement.

If they were in this league they would have local games against: Bristol Rovers, Us, Cheltenham, Reading, Wycombe.

They have Forest Green and Newport as local games, and that's about it. Here are some particularly bleak looking away days they have: Barrow, Grimsby, Crewe, Gillingham, Doncaster. Most of the teams in that division are nothing to look forward to for them.

I have always enjoyed Burton and Shrewsbury as away days. Northampton though is as dull as them come with no decent pubs near the ground and a dull ground.
Cheltenham can either be really good or really bad, it all depends on what mood the stewards are in on the day.
Wigan is another crap away day but it s handy for me only being an hour away.

Out of the teams leaving the league I am sorry to see Accy go as I always enjoyed going there and I hope Peterborough go up just because it keeps the northern team quota up.

Always used to drink Towcester before Northampton games, only just up the road and a few pubs all near each other to have a drink in.

One of Blackpool or Fleetwoods distance must be wrong, they are only 8 miles apart yet it’s 23 miles further to Fleetwood.

I’m looking forward to both London trips, also Derby as I couldn’t make it last season. And of course Reading.
Bristol’s a good night out if it falls on a Saturday, although the Memorial ground is quite a long way from the centre. Same goes for Sheffield.
I’m not too fussed about Northampton. I’ve done it a few times over the years because of the distance, but it’s not a particularly great place to visit in general.
Will probably give Wycombe another go this year. It’s just a shame how far away it is from the station.

I’m looking forward to both London trips, also Derby as I couldn’t make it last season. And of course Reading.
Bristol’s a good night out if it falls on a Saturday, although the Memorial ground is quite a long way from the centre. Same goes for Sheffield.
I’m not too fussed about Northampton. I’ve done it a few times over the years because of the distance, but it’s not a particularly great place to visit in general.
Will probably give Wycombe another go this year. It’s just a shame how far away it is from the station.
You can get the tram up to Wednesday nice and easily mate.

When do the fixtures come out?
A good question. Asked Google and all it came up with was the Premiership dates - thanks a bunch. It seems that, much like most things relating to the EFL, they haven't quite got that far, as yet.
Of course, even the club haven't managed much so far. Season tickets coming soon! - said the Tweet earlier.

A good question. Asked Google and all it came up with was the Premiership dates - thanks a bunch. It seems that, much like most things relating to the EFL, they haven't quite got that far, as yet.
Of course, even the club haven't managed much so far. Season tickets coming soon! - said the Tweet earlier.

I have a vague memory that the FL fixtures are released a week after the PL but could be wrong.

As you say, away days are made by the performance in many respects, and that was certainly lacking last term.

Would I be right in thinking the league has more of a southern feel this term? Although Wigan and Blackpool I guess replace Accy and Blackpool as far-flung northern outposts.
Thank god we don’t have to go to blackpool but can nip along to blackpool instead…

Back
Top Bottom