League One League 1 games 05/03/24

Steve Gilbert

Just 3 games tonight but 4 of the top 6 in action.

Barnsley v Bolton
Peterborough v Northampton
Cheltenham v Charlton

Could do with Bolton and Northampton wins to stay in touch with Peterborough and at a push Barnsley.

Nathan Jones doing a very good job at Charlton, he'd have likely taken us up given what he's getting out of a worse group at Charlton.

Nathan Jones doing a very good job at Charlton, he'd have likely taken us up given what he's getting out of a worse group at Charlton.
They have won 1 drawn 4 and lost 1 in the last 6 which is a good turn around but with the squad they have you would expect some up turn in form.

Whether he can sustain it after the ‘new manager bounce’ is yet to be seen.

Half times:

Barnsley 1-0 Bolton
Peterborough 3-1 Northampton
Cheltenham 0-1 Charlton

Looks like it’s us or Stevenage for the last play off place.

Half times:

Barnsley 1-0 Bolton
Cheltenham 0-1 Charlton

I think Blackpool, Orient and Lincoln could well be in the mix.

Half times:

Barnsley 1-0 Bolton
Cheltenham 0-1 Charlton

If only it was just us and Stevenage. Blackpool, Orient and Lincoln are 100% in this play off race. We’ve gone from a team who’d have been disappointed with a play off berth to one now who can just about dream of making the play offs. We have zero momentum and no form though, at completely the wrong time.

If only it was just us and Stevenage. Blackpool, Orient and Lincoln are 100% in this play off race. We’ve gone from a team who’d have been disappointed with a play off berth to one now who can just about dream of making the play offs. We have zero momentum and no form though, at completely the wrong time.
I don’t think anyone would have been unhappy with a play off place.
Unless of course you were a bit delusional and expected a half built team to keep winning 4 out of 5 games for the whole season…

Unless of course you were a bit delusional and expected a half built team to keep winning 4 out of 5 games for the whole season…

Maybe but to say it's between us and Stevenage is a bit silly. Have you actually looked at the table ? This is a four way battle and we are the most out of form of all the teams vying for that final spot. Momentum is everything in the run in. Ultimately I think Blackpool and Stevenage will battle it out and Stevenage coming out on top. To be fair they, Stevenage, probably deserve it over the course of the season. They've had blips but no real period of inconsistency and they are the one team up there who have got more out of their squad than anyone else given everyone's respective budgets.

Forget 4 out of 5 and xg and whatever else you want to quote. I've mentioned it countless times but 4 (3 at home) eminently winnable games, 3 in the past month or so (Northampton home, Orient home and Reading home and away), where we have led and looked primed to kick on lead but dropped 9 points playing very negatively. See those games out and we'd have been second last weekend. Is that delusional to really have expected us to go on and win those games ?

Forget 4 out of 5 and xg and whatever else you want to quote. I've mentioned it countless times but 4 (3 at home) eminently winnable games, 3 in the past month or so (Northampton home, Orient home and Reading home and away), where we have led and looked primed to kick on lead but dropped 9 points playing very negatively. See those games out and we'd have been second last weekend. Is that delusional to really have expected us to go on and win those games ?
That's the most frustrating thing about this season, it feels like a huge wasted opportunity.

That's the most frustrating thing about this season, it feels like a huge wasted opportunity.

Absolutely. It's a massively wasted opportunity, this was undoubtedly THE season. I cannot recall a weaker L1. The fact that Stevenage are likely to claim a play off berth and the likes of promoted Orient well in the mix tells you that. Next season, I think, will be extremely tough. You have those missing out this season, some big teams coming down, very likely well backed clubs like Stockport and Wrexham coming up and I can only see the Charlton's, Blackpool's, Wigan's and Reading's regrouping and being stronger.

Back
Top Bottom