Matches Burton 9k+?

As the Curragh says, sluggish sales so far for this one on the face of it.

At midnight last night we were at 5,800 home sales, with about 200 sold through the day. It's a difficult one to forecast, as I think with all of the attention on the previous "big" games, and then the Cambridge game, it's almost like this is the game that everyone forgot. I know that we all know it's taking place, but I wonder if the floating fans, of which there's a growing number, realise there's another game this week? These are the people who make the difference between 6,500 home fans and 8,500 home fans. They may not scrutinise this web site, or other social media all the time, and may assume that, as we've just played at home, the next game isn't for two weeks? I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but feel it's a reasonable assumption, at least for some people.

Based on this, I'm using Bolton as my barometer, as that game also came seven days after the previous home game, and also got off to a sluggish start. We're currently 400 behind Bolton sales and ended up there at 8,300 home sales. We usually sell anywhere between 1,700 and 2,100 home tickets from this point onwards. For Cambridge we sold 3,000 but that was an obvious outlier. At the moment I'd say 8,000 home sales would be my best prediction, but happy to be proved wrong. For context, that figure would still represent an increase of at least 1,500 on similar games earlier in the season.

It needs a push, but I fear it may come a little too late?

As the Curragh says, sluggish sales so far for this one on the face of it.

At midnight last night we were at 5,800 home sales, with about 200 sold through the day. It's a difficult one to forecast, as I think with all of the attention on the previous "big" games, and then the Cambridge game, it's almost like this is the game that everyone forgot. I know that we all know it's taking place, but I wonder if the floating fans, of which there's a growing number, realise there's another game this week? These are the people who make the difference between 6,500 home fans and 8,500 home fans. They may not scrutinise this web site, or other social media all the time, and may assume that, as we've just played at home, the next game isn't for two weeks? I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but feel it's a reasonable assumption, at least for some people.

Based on this, I'm using Bolton as my barometer, as that game also came seven days after the previous home game, and also got off to a sluggish start. We're currently 400 behind Bolton sales and ended up there at 8,300 home sales. We usually sell anywhere between 1,700 and 2,100 home tickets from this point onwards. For Cambridge we sold 3,000 but that was an obvious outlier. At the moment I'd say 8,000 home sales would be my best prediction, but happy to be proved wrong. For context, that figure would still represent an increase of at least 1,500 on similar games earlier in the season.

It needs a push, but I fear it may come a little too late?
Thank you Colin.
To be fair 8,000 home supporters would be pretty good for the visit of Burton.

@Thecurraghofkildare I agree that any promotions are needed now to ignite a sales push. I don't think cheap tickets at every game is the answer, but one off games like Morecambe and Burton are the perfect opportunities to increase interest ahead of what will be an exciting end of season. No more ticket sales for Pompey from mid day so hopefully the clubs media team can get some comms out today to give Saturday a real push.

I thought @OUSP Secretary said "something" was going to be announced?

Surely that should be dropped on a Monday after a full house/exciting game to "grab" the momentum?

As things start to get back towards some sort of normal folk will be making plans for weekends etc so get them before they decide to do something else...

To be fair the messaging from the club last week was exemplary across all the communications channels and huge credit to all involved - you did Joey proud.

It must have been an incredibly draining last week for everyone behind the scenes at the club and, whilst we may have lost a bit of momentum by not starting any planned promotions sooner, it would have been a huge ask to expect that the staff could all have immediately lifted themselves to go again Monday morning, especially with a match this evening. Here's hoping another win tonight will boost sales.

going to get my ticket tomorrow .... hopefully a win tonight will inspire my middle grand daughter and youngest lad (& his partner) to come along to the game on Saturday too.... ( & I can buy all the tickets at the same time)

going to get my ticket tomorrow .... hopefully a win tonight will inspire my middle grand daughter and youngest lad (& his partner) to come along to the game on Saturday too.... ( & I can buy all the tickets at the same time)
Well done Sarge. Top man.

No midnight ticket check last night, as I didn't get back from Portsmouth until 1:30am.

Did a check at 9am, so it shouldn't be too different from midnight, and we were at 6,050 home sales. Apparently Burton ticket sales so far are less than 100, so I think 300 is the absolute maximum we can expect from them. I think with last night's result this needs a hell of a push to get a decent crowd, and I think we're probably looking at 8,000 in total, including the Burton fans.

No midnight ticket check last night, as I didn't get back from Portsmouth until 1:30am.

Did a check at 9am, so it shouldn't be too different from midnight, and we were at 6,050 home sales. Apparently Burton ticket sales so far are less than 100, so I think 300 is the absolute maximum we can expect from them. I think with last night's result this needs a hell of a push to get a decent crowd, and I think we're probably looking at 8,000 in total, including the Burton fans.
Im off to buy my & my middle grand daughters tickets for the Burton game imminently

There will be some things announced this week which should be encouraging for Saturday, but I won't pre-empt the club's announcements. Having said that, it is a match you might want to bring the ladies to.

These still happening?

Im off to buy my & my middle grand daughters tickets for the Burton game imminently
had to opt for 'plan B' ... where I usually sit (SSL- by me Dad, Sis n Nephew) has been sold to 'a large group', in the surrounding area- nowt avail anywhere near me dad etc..... so my middle grand daughter gets to experience the East stand behind the goal

positive note- she likes singing/ joining in with singing, & previously has asked if we can go in the East stand 'sometime'

negative side- she doesn't get to see her great grandad, also my youngest lad and his partner arn't coming to the game on Saturday, (80 mile round trip- on public transport), as they were planning watching the game with relatives ( grandad, aunt, cousin me, and niece) who they don't often get to see, which sadly there's now no chance of doing on Saturday - maybe the next home game will be viable

Last edited:
I`m no dot counter but looking like 7,500-8,00 tops - pending the mysterious announcement alluded to by @OUSP Secretary that hasn`t been announced.

Then we are into Ipswich, Sunderland, MK Dons and Donny which will sell themselves, have pretty full away ends, and might score another 3 or 4 10k`s.

An "average" attendance against Burton is still much better than what it would usually be against them, which looking at past matches is around 6,000 or so. Getting 8,000 there and achieving an increase of 20 to 30 percent would still be a massive achievement and also an indication of the good work on and off pitch bearing fruit.

This one really is not flying.

6,250 home sales at midnight. I think we're looking at 8,000 total sales maximum. As said above though, that's probably over 1,000 more than we'd normally get for this game. I'll check and report back.

If you can’t attend every game for whatever reason so have to pick and choose then out of all the recent and upcoming games then this isn’t going to be one you attend out of choice is it?

Given the low amount of away fans if we hit 8,000 then as said above that is pretty decent.

8000 at home to Burton is very good, most years you would be looking at 6.5k-ish sales i'd expect and we aren't going to attract 10,000+ crowds every week at the half finished hovel.

We've had an incredible run of games at home, and have another 4 huge games to follow. Maybe this is just one for everyone to take a breath. As mentioned previously, the media team and so many more, worked tirelessly to support last Saturday for Joey. They will be drained physically and emotionally, and maybe one more promotion is beyond them. Equally, times are tough for many with petrol and domestic fuel bills going through the roof and everything else going on in the world right now.

Yes, 9k would have been great, but maybe too much in the bigger picture. We still have the opportunity to big this game up ourselves, encourage friends and family to come, and maybe look at those who may not feel comfortable in a huge crowd?

Back
Top Bottom