Matches Burton 9k+?

Anyone u11 at the swine only pays £1 for every game and in any stand, now that significant one affects how many families we attract, the die hard fans will pay anything to see us where a family with a couple of kids mostly are priced out for attended more than a handful of games a season. Doesn't matter if we're in a higher league , paying a premium only applies once in the championship surely.
It would be interesting to see just how many U11’s they have. We are awash with them at the moment, so it doesn’t seem to be putting that many off.

Ticket prices are more expensive in League One than they are in League Two. Player’s salaries are significantly more. It is a premium product.

I grant you, Burton Isn’t a glamorous opponent. Are Salford?

Yes, it’s a misquote, apologies, though I still think my point stands.

You may be right, Colin, but it frustrates me to see the freaks continually beat our attendances.

It should be 10, or very close, on Saturday. There’s no reason for it not to be.

It's important to recognise the huge steps we have taken as a club to improve engagement with fans, new and old, rather than compare with other clubs.

We have just seen our fourth successive 10k+ league game. We haven't achieved that in 36 years and that was during our first year in what was the PL and off the back of our success in the Milk Cup that season. The vast majority of those attending have paid full face value for their tickets without gimmicks or giveaways.

If you give things away on the cheap then you cheapen the whole experience.

I couldn't give one single shiny shite to what they do at Swindon, or MK Dons, or Wycombe, or anyone else. But I am incredibly proud of what we have delivered here in a relatively short time involving little more than social media and talking up or club.

Anyone u11 at the swine only pays £1 for every game and in any stand, now that significant one affects how many families we attract, the die hard fans will pay anything to see us where a family with a couple of kids mostly are priced out for attended more than a handful of games a season. Doesn't matter if we're in a higher league , paying a premium only applies once in the championship surely.
Really?
L1 has Sunderland, Ipswich Pompey, Sheffield Wednesday.
Surely you would expect to pay more on L1 than L2?

It would be interesting to see just how many U11’s they have. We are awash with them at the moment, so it doesn’t seem to be putting that many off.

Ticket prices are more expensive in League One than they are in League Two. Player’s salaries are significantly more. It is a premium product.

The family stand has been pretty full in the last few games.
It will be interesting to see how many there are v Burton. Hopefully after the past few games it will be pretty full again

Yes, it’s a misquote, apologies, though I still think my point stands.

You may be right, Colin, but it frustrates me to see the freaks continually beat our attendances.

It should be 10, or very close, on Saturday. There’s no reason for it not to be.
I agree with you on the attendances at the skip, but I think there are a few factors that come into play in that respect.

We've had higher attendances than them over most of the last 5 or 6 years from memory, and it's a shame that in the last year of Lee Power's reign, when the wheels really fell off, there were no fans allowed, as their attendances would have been very very low. This season they're in the "we've got our club back" mode and, I believe, sold quite a lot of very cheap season tickets, many on credit (a la MK Dons), which means those numbers will always be counted whether they're there or not. Coupled with cheaper match day tickets, I suppose it explains it for this season at least.

It'll be interesting to see how their crowds hold up next season, particularly if (as I hope) they mess up promotion. Then the honeymoon period will be over, possibly the cheap deals with it (as I'm not convinced their owner is all they think he is) and we could be two divisions above them. I also find it interesting that even in this period of higher home crowds, their away followings are quite a bit lower than ours, indicating that possibly putting your hand in your pocket to follow your team does not appeal to them.

I suppose the question on Under 11s is not how many do we have, but how many might we have if they only had to pay £1? And how many parents and/or siblings would they bring along?

But, as said above, it's all about what we do, and we're increasing our crowds and re-engaging people without giving the product away, so maybe we're doing it in a way that keeps those extra fans for a longer period. Only time will tell!!!

Last edited:
I couldn't give one single shiny shite to what they do at Swindon, or MK Dons, or Wycombe, or anyone else. But I am incredibly proud of what we have delivered here in a relatively short time involving little more than social media and talking up or club.

I do if we can learn/benefit from what they are doing. It is only logical to look at what others are doing and try it if it is something that may benefit us. We don't have to adopt what others are doing but the very least we should be looking at what they are doing.

Yes I agree, but I was pointing out why the scum have a higher attendance than us most weeks. Us on the other hand must bring in way more revenue. As scotchers had said we haven't had 4 consecutive 10k crowds since 1987 and I wasn't even born then so that just shows we are going in the right direction.

I will try and make the Burton game but I've got another little oxford fan on the way in May so need to watch the pennies especially since the missus has already agreed me and my oldest can go to the Ipswich, Sunderland, mk dons, Doncaster games. I was going to miss yesterday's game but I couldn't miss it for the world. Next season we will be getting season tickets but this season I wasn't willing to commit with the uncertainty.

It's important to recognise the huge steps we have taken as a club to improve engagement with fans, new and old, rather than compare with other clubs.

We have just seen our fourth successive 10k+ league game. We haven't achieved that in 36 years and that was during our first year in what was the PL and off the back of our success in the Milk Cup that season. The vast majority of those attending have paid full face value for their tickets without gimmicks or giveaways.

It’s the very fact that we’ve made so much progress that I don’t see a reason that we shouldn’t see expect to see the levels maintained. It’s not as though the team or the club have let the fans down, is it?

I’m happy that you don’t care about the others, good for you. One less stress 👍🏻

That’s my sentiment too. I’m hoping to get a season ticket for the new season as my wife is recovering from a stroke.
It looks like a play off will be coming up. I’ve been lucky enough to see Oxford at Wembley four times so it’d be nice to see a fifth on with us winning

I agree with you on the attendances at the skip, but I think there are a few factors that come into play in that respect.

We've had higher attendances than them over most of the last 5 or 6 years from memory, and it's a shame that in the last year of Lee Power's reign, when the wheels really fell off, there were no fans allowed, as their attendances would have been very very low. This season they're in the "we've got our club back" mode and, I believe, sold quite a lot of very cheap season tickets, many on credit (a la MK Dons), which means those numbers will always be counted whether they're there or not. Coupled with cheaper match day tickets, I suppose it explains it for this season at least.

It'll be interesting to see how their crowds hold up next season, particularly if (as I hope) they mess up promotion. Then the honeymoon period will be over, possibly the cheap deals with it (as I'm not convinced their owner is all they think he is) and we could be two divisions above them. I also find it interesting that even in this period of higher home crowds, their away followings are quite a bit lower than ours, indicating that possibly putting your hand in your pocket to follow your team does not appeal to them.

I suppose the question on Under 11s is not how many do we have, but how many might we have if they only had to pay £1? And how many parents and/or siblings would they bring along?

But, as said above, it's all about what we do, and we're increasing our crowds and re-engaging people without giving the product away, so maybe we're doing it in a way that keeps those extra fans for a longer period. Only time will tell!!!
I haven’t seen their away followings. Good to hear that they’re lower than ours (mind yiu I haven’t really looked at ours much).

The ‘we’ve got our club phenomenon’ could well be playing a part. Fingers crossed they fail this year and the aussie plumber runs out cash and the goodwill of the freaks with them.

I guess we got over the 10k on Saturday with the academy and their family as comps ?

Even so. It’s a great number.

I know that I put the Cambridge and Burton games together to look at maximising attendance, but yesterday was very much a day of it's own and we probably need a new thread for Burton. 4 consecutive 10k crowds is something we haven't seen since out first season in what is now the PL. And not only have we had the huge crowds, but we've also seen families and children coming in greater numbers and so many who came back after years away for Joey yesterday. We've also had some incredible games with 3-2, 3-2, 2-3, 4-2 results and unbelievable entertainment. I don't want to take too much credit, but since getting involved in these threads I think me and @Colin B could be the new Ant and Dec for entertainmnet!!

But on a serious note, and with the additional, and very welcome support of @Thecurraghofkildare I feel that this threads do help build excitement for games and gets people talking, which can only help to attract new and old fans. I haven't had a season ticket this year as I have been going to some games with mates and others with my kids so flexibility has been more important. However that has meant that I have sat in various different places and have had the opportunity to talk to fans around me, and there is a growing interest in live football, and Oxford United. The scenes yesterday were heartbreaking for those of us lucky enough to have seen Joey play, but they were also important for those who have never been to a game before. They show that we are a club that truly cares for those who have been part of our past, our present and our future. If you had children playing football, you would want them to be part of the youth system at Oxford United knowing that they will be supported and cared for. Karl fist bumped every single academy player when they went off yesterday and will have spent time watching everyone of them play. It's often said that there's no room for sentiment in football, but that's bullshit. There's always room for sentiment both on and off the pitch and with Karl at the helm we have that in absolute spades.

So, lets use this to encourage and support even more people to come to our games and extend the Oxford United family even further. 10k is probably unrealistic, but with only 2 home games in March and this being at the beginning of the month, and off the back of yesterday and the feeling around the place, anything is possible. @OUSP Secretary previously mentioned some additional plans for this game? And there was discussions about potentially linking to International Womens Day? But ultimately spreading the word ourselves, either through social media or old fashioned work of mouth appears to have been the most successful approach to date.

Keep up the good work guys!!
Don't agree with everything you post Scotch but I do respect your commitment to rallying attendances and helping the club. COYY.

There seems to be so many more younger children of that age coming to games, not just sitting in the family area of the north stand..

Facts

Ten thousand and four! You can surely claim some credit for getting five extra folk along so well done! The ground felt great with a full east and north stand.

Yes I agree, but I was pointing out why the scum have a higher attendance than us most weeks. Us on the other hand must bring in way more revenue. As scotchers had said we haven't had 4 consecutive 10k crowds since 1987 and I wasn't even born then so that just shows we are going in the right direction.

I will try and make the Burton game but I've got another little oxford fan on the way in May so need to watch the pennies especially since the missus has already agreed me and my oldest can go to the Ipswich, Sunderland, mk dons, Doncaster games. I was going to miss yesterday's game but I couldn't miss it for the world. Next season we will be getting season tickets but this season I wasn't willing to commit with the uncertainty.
Be the best thing you do is get a st I got my two lads one my oldest son just doesn't enjoy football so he doesn't come where as my other son absolutely loves it at the beginning of the season he was abit bored he's only 7 but now he really gets in to it and absolutely loves Matty Taylor definitely renewing next season I've also got a 4 year old who will come to a few matches next season

Think Colin said he would update tonight or tomorrow but sales look sluggish at this stage and with a small away following likely from Burton, we may do well to reach 8,000 unless we see a major uplift in sales. Will be interested in Colin’s much more scientific prediction!!

So, notwithstanding the match vs Pompey, the club needs to launch any planned marketing initiatives very soon I feel.

Think the last 4 home matches should all make 10,000+ unless our promotion challenge is over before the final game so Saturday, in my opinion, is the time (and last sensible opportunity) for any heavy discounts - offers for ladies in recognition of the day, season ticket holders (bring along a guest for a fiver), kids for a quid etc.

Take the point about not undervaluing the product - but don’t think we will reach 9000 unfortunately unless we dial up the promotions hugely for this one.

Think Colin said he would update tonight or tomorrow but sales look sluggish at this stage and with a small away following likely from Burton, we may do well to reach 8,000 unless we see a major uplift in sales. Will be interested in Colin’s much more scientific prediction!!

So, notwithstanding the match vs Pompey, the club needs to launch any planned marketing initiatives very soon I feel.

Think the last 4 home matches should all make 10,000+ unless our promotion challenge is over before the final game so Saturday, in my opinion, is the time (and last sensible opportunity) for any heavy discounts - offers for ladies in recognition of the day, season ticket holders (bring along a guest for a fiver), kids for a quid etc.

Take the point about not undervaluing the product - but don’t think we will reach 9000 unfortunately unless we dial up the promotions hugely for this one.

Anything over our average for this season.which now stands at 8082 will be good. Do think the club should of done a promotion for the ladies for this game and maybe they're waiting to get the Pompey game out the way.

Back
Top Bottom