International News Black Lives Matter

It's probably true - no idea how this can be proved statistically - that the 1% of the world population living in the UK are better off in terms of health, education, housing, variety of job opportunities etc etc than the vast majority of the world's population.

As for the last part of your statement, there are impediments for many of the UK population in achieving the best possible life. The social status you're born into, parental attitudes and support, and, no doubt, your ethnicity.

Chances are a child born into an inner city ethnic minority family where the highest expectation might be a minimum wage job have a life destiny somewhat different to a child born into a middle class white family in, say, an Oxfordshire village.

It's appreciated that you, personally, may have brought yourself up from humble beginnings - and good for you - but perhaps not everyone's abilities and fortunes result in the same outcome.

Yes but it is just "life" and the hand you are dealt. Nobody asks to be born poor or born rich.

The opportunity in the UK is broadly "there for all" even if some have more opportunity than others... that is just life.

Some choose to embrace it, some get lucky, some get unlucky........... that is just life.

Take Lewis Hamilton, he got where he is primarily through his ability and his parents sacrifice to fund his career path - a few breaks and bingo he`s made it.

Marcus Rashford, started in the environment where you might expect a minimum wage job etc..... worked hard, made it.

And you can list tens of thousands of people who have made it.............. and hundreds of thousands who have not .... that is just life!

And their colour has got fudge all to do with it!

Does that include Indian kids ...or does colour not affect hard work , family units and being pushed to do their best. Their are reasons and not just as simple as colour. It needs a much wider review and the family unit is a massive part for successful kids growing up .

Read the fucking report. It does.

Wouldn't want to be in yours.
😆😆😆 no growing up in a working class environment, going to culturally mixed schools which were pretty crap and working alongside every race as well as seeing with my own eyes the great general public every day from directors to druggies I am happy with those friends I have and areas I live in.

That’s not true though is it? The highest achievers in this country per capita are Chinese and Indian kids, because their parents push them harder and they are brighter.

Parents may push certain children harder, but that doesn't mean that any particular race are "brighter".

Parents may push certain children harder, but that doesn't mean that any particular race are "brighter".

That’s not strictly speaking true, some cultures in the past required more intelligent people due to the environmental challenges, Chinese rice farming for instance needed you to be smarter than European farming, the smarter people obviously prospered and bred thus you ended up with a more intelligent population over time.

Chinese people are cleverer than us, that’s why they generally do better than us in exams etc, no harm in admitting.

Plus side we have slightly bigger willys.

That’s not strictly speaking true, some cultures in the past required more intelligent people due to the environmental challenges, Chinese rice farming for instance needed you to be smarter than European farming, the smarter people obviously prospered and bred thus you ended up with a more intelligent population over time.

Chinese people are cleverer than us, that’s why they generally do better than us in exams etc, no harm in admitting.

I'd best start studying rice farming to compensate for mine then!!

An interesting post. But if I assume your statement is true, couldn't any perceived intelligence difference be down to something like educational standards and not genetics? Another difference can be in things like nutrition and health care. I found these articles...

Isn't it too simplistic to say genetics are the only factor?

An interesting post. But if I assume your statement is true, couldn't any perceived intelligence difference be down to something like educational standards and not genetics? Another difference can be in things like nutrition and health care. I found these articles...

Isn't it too simplistic to say genetics are the only factor?

They all obviously play a part, for instance tribesmen in Papua New Guinea obviously can’t use an iPhone but when they measured their intelligence they were actually smarter than us (we wouldn’t last 10 seconds in their world, doubt you even get much of a WiFi signal out there), stupid people in that culture tend not to survive to breed in numbers in comparison to over here but you wouldn’t want them operating on you to save your life.

But genetics plays a part, along with the other factors you have mentioned, I was never going to be a brain surgeon, nowhere near clever enough no matter how hard I worked.

They all obviously play a part, for instance tribesmen in Papua New Guinea obviously can’t use an iPhone but when they measured their intelligence they were actually smarter than us (we wouldn’t last 10 seconds in their world, doubt you even get much of a WiFi signal out there), stupid people in that culture tend not to survive to breed in numbers in comparison to over here but you wouldn’t want them operating on you to save your life.

But genetics plays a part, along with the other factors you have mentioned, I was never going to be a brain surgeon, nowhere near clever enough no matter how hard I worked.

That very much depends on how you measure intelligence. The modern Western world means that your phone can complete exceptionally difficult sums at the touch of a button, the internet gives instant answers to any question, and can provide video clips to follow for most practical applications. There is no longer the need to be able to do mental asthmatics, recall facts or learn trades the way we once did.

We adapt to our own worlds and whilst many of us would never last in deepest Papua New Guinea, the tribesmen are quiet possibly not producing leading doctors, scientists or putting men on the moon.

Yes but it is just "life" and the hand you are dealt. Nobody asks to be born poor or born rich.

The opportunity in the UK is broadly "there for all" even if some have more opportunity than others... that is just life.

Some choose to embrace it, some get lucky, some get unlucky........... that is just life.

Take Lewis Hamilton, he got where he is primarily through his ability and his parents sacrifice to fund his career path - a few breaks and bingo he`s made it.

Marcus Rashford, started in the environment where you might expect a minimum wage job etc..... worked hard, made it.

And you can list tens of thousands of people who have made it.............. and hundreds of thousands who have not .... that is just life!

And their colour has got fudge all to do with it!
I know we're probably going round in circles here, but this take is too individualistic. It ignores systemic oppression.

The base position, as I see it, is this: when you get a statistic that shows black people being disproportionately affected as opposed to white - black children being four times as likely to be arrested as white, for example, or black families being more than twice as likely to be living in poverty as white - it has to be explained by something. If we truly have 'equality', then it surely follows that, from those statistics, black people are simply, by their very nature, more inclined towards crime than white. Or more comfortable living in poverty, or less willing to 'make it', in your words, and pull themselves out. Which I'm afraid is an inherently racist position. It's an unsubstantiated prejudicial view held against a group of people based on a physical characteristic, and one I'm sure that none of us here actually hold.

So if it isn't the base nature of these individuals, it must be something else, and we must not truly have 'equality'. Something outside of their control that means they are disproportionately affected when compared with other races. All anyone in support of BLM as a movement is really saying, as I see it, is that we need to take a good hard look at ourselves and at society writ large to identify what that factor (or those factors) is (/are), and how best to address it to truly make society more equal.

Yes, but you stated "what they choose to make of their life is down to them". I say it isn't. There will be factors outside of their control that will make it impossible to achieve as much as some others do. Some might aspire to 'better' but be unable to achieve it through lack of education, or lack of a supportive family background etc.

No sorry doesn`t cut it with me.
If you don`t like where you are then graft & move.

Only one person controls your destiny and path in life - it`s you.

Now there are influencing factor`s but they are the same for everyone and many are outside of your control so you have to work with them.

Positive attitude and a drive to succeed certainly helps.

Back
Top Bottom